Melee Ranger, can monk splash with quarterstaff work?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Straydog

Melee Ranger, can monk splash with quarterstaff work?

Post by Straydog » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:04 pm

I was thinking about trying a quarterstaff ranger with a 3 or 4 level monk splash for UBAB progression, but do I have to be unarmored to do that, and if so does that gimp my AC too much? Or would the Ranger's Runic Vestment be enough?

Edit: would monk 6 be worth it for KD/Imp KD? I'm not sure what all monks still get.

RedGiant

Re: Melee Ranger, can monk splash with quarterstaff work?

Post by RedGiant » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:52 pm

Monk UBAB - A special unarmed base attack bonus (UBAB) replaces the normal BAB for monks (and only monks) who fight unarmed or with a kama [or with certain Arelith specific monk-weapons] + (if also not wearing armor nor using a shield).

To splash monk and keep the UBAB progression would require you to commit to cloth armor and no shield, which probably isn't much of a problem for a quarterstaff wielder.

Without running the numbers, dex-based seems the way to go, since quarterstaff is a finesse weapon on Arelith.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Straydog

Post by Straydog » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:10 am

Strength based appeals to me more due to more damage per hit, but I'm not super experienced with character building, dex based would help offset AC issues I assume, or is stacking AC for defense even particularly viable for a character like this? If I was going unarmored I could benefit from the monk wisdom AC bonus... is that relevant at all?

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:34 am

If you go Dex based and have 14 wisdom for the full scope of ranger spells you can more than offset the loss of armor, especially with zoo buffs. You can also use the monk clothes which are not bad either. I think dumping points into parry on this build could be really fun as well depending on the theme. As far as damage, you will have favored enemy to offset the lack of strength as well.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:32 am

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Straydog

Post by Straydog » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:01 am

Jack Oat wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:32 am
All that you seek lies here.
How critical is assassin to this build? Could you do fighter instead and pick up epic weapon specialization? I didn't particularly want to be evil or assassinate people.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:37 am

Straydog wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:01 am
Jack Oat wrote:
How critical is assassin to this build? Could you do fighter instead and pick up epic weapon specialization? I didn't particularly want to be evil or assassinate people.
Switch Assassin out for Fighter, sure. Just grab 4 levels in Epics and another Monk in late Epics. Line the feats up so that you can grab Weapon Specialization/Epic Weapon Spec., then your Monk anywhere from 27-30 to grab a final Tumble dip.

Edit: I've adjusted the build linked there to represent what I'm talking about.

For the curious as to "Why Monk 5?", Monk 5 grants +1 AC. The alternatives were Fighter 5 (which also grants +1 AC but doesn't stack with a Cleric's buff if you happen to have one in your party) and Ranger 22, which does (to my knowledge) really nothing.

Garrbear wrote:

Irongron wrote:

Terenfel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Terenfel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:37 am

going ranger 27 monk 3 is a really strong build.
you get a +5 weapon that go though DR spells, lots of favorite enemies. 25 bab, 10 APR if you are in flurry of blows mode, AC up to 70+ if you are fully buffed and in IE. and those 10 attacks do a fine amount of damage because of bane of enemies.

the tough thing is to get to ranger level 24 without the monk dip. the build would be slightly worse if you do ranger 26 monk 4 (lose 1 AB and 1 favorite enemy.)

Straydog

Post by Straydog » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:30 pm

Jack Oat wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:37 am
Straydog wrote:
Jack Oat wrote:
Switch Assassin out for Fighter, sure. Just grab 4 levels in Epics and another Monk in late Epics. Line the feats up so that you can grab Weapon Specialization/Epic Weapon Spec., then your Monk anywhere from 27-30 to grab a final Tumble dip.

For the curious as to "Why Monk 5?", Monk 5 grants +1 AC. The alternatives were Fighter 5 (which also grants +1 AC but doesn't stack with a Cleric's buff if you happen to have one in your party) and Ranger 22, which does (to my knowledge) really nothing.
This build looks really sick, but how critical would you consider SF/GSF Transmutation? I notice the build lacks KD/IKD, is that a problem?

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:56 pm

Straydog wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:30 pm
Jack Oat wrote:
Straydog wrote:

This build looks really sick, but how critical would you consider SF/GSF Transmutation? I notice the build lacks KD/IKD, is that a problem?
You could switch them out for KD and another Favored Enemy, sure. I just did Trans foci cus... idk i could and it's my build?

Garrbear wrote:

Irongron wrote:

Straydog

Post by Straydog » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:40 pm

Jack Oat wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:56 pm
Straydog wrote:
Jack Oat wrote:

You could switch them out for KD and another Favored Enemy, sure. I just did Trans foci cus... idk i could and it's my build?
You are the expert, I'm just asking questions to learn

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:28 am

Greater trans gives access to the teleport ability which works thematically with some rp concepts for rangers and is also very convenient as a means to cut down on portal lense expenses.

It has very little mechanical use so by all means load up on combat enhancing feats instead if that’s your thang

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:56 am

GSF Trans also makes gearing slightly easier, because you can spam wands for +6 str/dex/con/wis instead of +5
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Straydog wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:40 pm
Jack Oat wrote:
Straydog wrote:

Jack wants gsf transmutation because there's a ranger only spear with x/day Aura of Vitality. Maybe there are other reasons...
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:35 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:35 pm
Straydog wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:40 pm
Jack Oat wrote:

Jack wants gsf transmutation because there's a ranger only spear with x/day Aura of Vitality. Maybe there are other reasons...
Eh. GSF just makes it 3 rnds/lvl. It's nice I guess, but nah. I went for trans cus of the +1 to stat buffs, which is helpful for MAD builds.

Also free teleport is nice.

Garrbear wrote:

Irongron wrote:

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:18 pm

I've played R27/M3 for last few years, one of my strongest most versatile character, tho gearing dex/con/wis/str/uni/disc/spot has been a pain :D

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:52 pm

Straydog wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:10 am
Strength based appeals to me more due to more damage per hit, but I'm not super experienced with character building, dex based would help offset AC issues I assume, or is stacking AC for defense even particularly viable for a character like this? If I was going unarmored I could benefit from the monk wisdom AC bonus... is that relevant at all?
Rangers on arelith can start with low dex and reach max dex of their armor via buffing dex.
Like there is this specisl ranger only studded leather armor that is a plus 4 and adds its own dex. Combine that with cats grace and you will be reaching max dex bonus of said armor witu base dex 10 in no time allowing you to focus on str for ab and damage whike still wearing light armor. And you can grab a shield to boot early lvls or just when you need to be tanky.

A str ranger with only a monk dip will suffer. Though not impossible with tristating items for con dex wisdom and str if you want to end up with a decent hp pool and and good ab and good ac. Meanwhile a ranger can just str + con + uni save all his gear and have good ac, good ab, better crit range, with less attacks but better saves and easier time leveling with shield option.