Two-hander aggro paladin: is this stupid

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Straydog

Two-hander aggro paladin: is this stupid

Post by Straydog » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:27 pm

I noticed that divine might gets a 1.5x bonus when using a two hander, so I wanted to try two hander paladin. Based on my level 1 idiot brain understanding of two handers vs. SnB, essentially unless you are going for SnB there is not much point to trying to get your AC to a high enough level to matter against high AB enemies and you should just focus on HP pool and dealing damage.

With this in mind, I have been contemplating the idea of forsaking divine shield and tumble and focusing on what gives the best damage, AB and offensive capabilities. My plan was Paladin 26/Fighter 4, picking up the maxed out bless weapon bonus as well as weapon specialization/epic weapon specialization.

Feats would look something like this:

1: Weapon Focus, Power Attack
3: Knockdown
6: Divine Might
9: Blind Fight
12: SF Abj
15: GSF Abj
18: Something
21: Epic Weapon Focus
24: Epic Weapon Specialization
Fighter 1: Imp KD
Fighter 2: Imp Critical
Fighter 4: Weapon Specialization
27: Epic Prowess?
30: ESF Discipline

Is this dumb? I'm wondering if AC is really all or nothing, or if there are some theoretical AC breakpoints worth shooting for (what would be enough to partially mitigate some popular summons? Some mid-AB characters such as monks/rogues? Is 45 AC useful? 50? 55?)

Dr. B

Re: Two-hander aggro paladin: is this stupid

Post by Dr. B » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:59 pm

Absolutely do not forsake tumble and divine shield on a two-handed paladin. You want as much AC as possible to compensate for your lack of a shield. I would recommend simply using this build, but with weapon focus in a two-handed weapon.

Straydog

Post by Straydog » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:01 pm

Deleted for double post
Last edited by Straydog on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Straydog

Post by Straydog » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:01 pm

That was essentially identical to my plan before I went off the deep end. Also, considered taking monk 3 instead of rogue 3 for better saves and still mind and better flavor, while still getting evasion. From what I understand, UMD is no longer mandatory?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Straydog wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:01 pm
That was essentially identical to my plan before I went off the deep end. Also, considered taking monk 3 instead of rogue 3 for better saves and still mind and better flavor, while still getting evasion. From what I understand, UMD is no longer mandatory?
The reason these forums went quiet lately is simply that people dont know anymore. I'd say UMD is nothing more than QoL now, unless its a special case of needing UMD for a certain item for your build. Not the case for paladins. Also, paladins can use all divine wands of any kind. So it makes umd even less of a necessity.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too