question about dispel mechanics, caster level, and abjuration feats?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Wendel

question about dispel mechanics, caster level, and abjuration feats?

Post by Wendel » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Hello,

I have been trying to understand the dispel magic mechanics on Arelith but have been unable to piece them together from the wiki. I apologize if there's a page describing this on the site in detail but my searches of the forums/wiki have not found anything. Could someone please walk me through it?

According to the NWN wiki, the original dispel check was 1d20 +1 per caster level (to a maximum of +10) against a DC of 12 + the spell effect's caster level. On Arelith, is it 1d20 +1 per caster level (to a maximum of +22) against a DC of 12 + the spell effect's caster level (capped at 22)?

I also have a question about the adjuration feats. I also see from the wiki that taking the spell focus, greater spell focus, and epic spell focus feats results in a +4 to the dispel role and your effective caster level becomes 26? Does one of the three feats give you a +2?

On the other hand, having those three feats would result in a +6 bonus to the DC value? And then with arcane defense: abjuration this would be +8?

So it is possible that a dispel check could be 1d20+26 against a DC of 42 (12+22+8)?

Thanks!

CNS

Re: question about dispel mechanics, caster level, and abjuration feats?

Post by CNS » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Trying to dispel.

You have a 1d20 + caster level up to 22. Onto this you can add up to +4 from the abjuration focuses.

This roll is against 12 +the caster level of the defender + 2 if that person took the defensive abjuration feat.

This means the maximum roll to dispelling you can get is 46. The highest dc you are rolling against is 44 for a level 30 caster.

Note that a pure mundane who casts no spells but buffs themselves via a wand, will count as though they are caster level 30

Wendel

Re: question about dispel mechanics, caster level, and abjuration feats?

Post by Wendel » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:29 pm

Thanks so much. I was misunderstanding the spell focus feats for the DC!