My build (Rogue / Weapon Master / Fighter)

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

a shrouded figure

My build (Rogue / Weapon Master / Fighter)

Post by a shrouded figure » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:12 pm

Feel free to give him/her a try, I've really enjoyed this build. If you have suggestions please feel free to let me know! Personally I've made this character with a great sword. 1h Scimitar <RAPIER - per correction below> would work "better", I just find the amount of people using scimitars <Rapiers?> to be a little disgusting.

19 Rogue / 7 Weapon Master / 4 Fighter

Human
Any Alignment
Gift of Str +2
Gift of Con +2
Gift of Spot +6

STR: 17 + 2 (26)
DEX: 13
CON: 14 + 2
WIS: 8
INT: 14
CHA: 8

Ro: Dodge, Expertise
Ro: ---
Ro: Mobility
F: Weapon Focus, +1 STR (at every stat increase)
F: Spring Attack
F: Whirlwind Attack
WM: Weapon of Choice
WM: ---
WM: Improved Critical
WM: Knockdown
Ro: Improved Knockdown
Ro: Blind Fight
Ro: Improved Evasion
Ro: Epic Weapon Focus
Ro: Crippling Strike
Ro: Epic Prowess
Ro: Defensive Roll
F: Weapon Specialization, Epic Weapon Specialization (make sure to dump Disc here)
Ro: Armor Skin, Epic Skill Focus: Discipline

22 BAB, 10d6 Sneak Attack, Lots of skills!

Primarily a group DPS, but when I solo I just stay in expertise mode for the AC buff. You don’t have the “oh crap” improved expertise + shield, but I haven’t had major issues so far. There may be some merit to taking slippery mind vs defensive roll. Outside of it being a prereq for epic dodge, DRoll is pretty garbage.
Last edited by a shrouded figure on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opustus

Re: My build (Rogue / Weapon Master / Fighter)

Post by Opustus » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:09 pm

The best weapon is definitely rapier because of the synergy from the bonus AB to rogue proficiency weapons: At level 19, gain +1 AB when using any Rogue Proficiency weapon, except the quarterstaff. Can also wield a Dale small sword for +5 EB if qualified. I made a similar build with club, because I'm an idiot; I've relished the hurt so far!

Yus, defensive roll is total garbo, even the wiki says so https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Defensive_roll

Slippery mind is really good if you're investing in Will anyways, but that build might have a hard time reaching relevant numbers, so another skill focus might be better depending on what the character wants to focus on, e.g. ESF Listen can push you just over a threshold of detecting dedicated sneakers. I would also save the last fighter for 30 to squeeze in the maximum amount of Discipline, although I do appreciate the earlier +6 damage too.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

satan

Post by satan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:35 pm

Interesting. I'll probably roll this up on pgcc later
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:15 pm

You're 100% correct with regards to rapier. And I like the idea for ESF Listen (could even do something fun like crafting, or bluff). One of the things that I like about this build is that because I'm wearing Full platemail I don't have to worry about investing points into hide or MS if I don't want to.

So for the truly "meta" version of this build, rapier + shield is the clear winner (better crit threat [10 vs 13], and the AB bonus of 2hs is negated from +2 to +1, plus obvious shield AC). I'll be sure to post as I level on live. If I find that it becomes insanely tedious as a 2h build I may remake to a rapier + shield. I don't suspect that I will have that issue, but you never know!

The one thing I wish this build could fit would be Improved expertise... but there's just no room with my current feats. *shrug*

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:18 pm

Opustus wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:09 pm
The best weapon is definitely rapier because of the synergy from the bonus AB to rogue proficiency weapons: At level 19, gain +1 AB when using any Rogue Proficiency weapon, except the quarterstaff. Can also wield a Dale small sword for +5 EB if qualified. I made a similar build with club, because I'm an idiot; I've relished the hurt so far!

Yus, defensive roll is total garbo, even the wiki says so https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Defensive_roll

Slippery mind is really good if you're investing in Will anyways, but that build might have a hard time reaching relevant numbers, so another skill focus might be better depending on what the character wants to focus on, e.g. ESF Listen can push you just over a threshold of detecting dedicated sneakers. I would also save the last fighter for 30 to squeeze in the maximum amount of Discipline, although I do appreciate the earlier +6 damage too.
The only problem I had with saving fighter until 30, is that forces you to take 6 levels of fighter because you cannot take the rogue bonus feat ESF: Disc without 20 Disc, which requires a post level 17 disc class. Unfortunately taking F at 30 just messes up the whole build.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:39 am

Duh, am silly.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:03 pm

Honestly I would just skip ESF discipline for something else. It's not necessary on strength builds. ESF lore, listen/spot, or parry would all be better options.

With that said, I would go 17 rogue and 6 fighter for the +1 ac. This would also get you another preepic bonus feat for weapon spec freeing up an epic general feat. Taking 5 fighter preepic wi get you 1 more bab which will make up for the 1 ab from 19 rogue.

Additionally, it you want to have at least decent stealth, you can use masterly elven chain and either an enchanted shield or fencing buckler.

Masterly elven chain is actually a better option anyways. With 13 base dex and easy +5 dex now, you'll hit the same ac as addy full plate while having better DI and a lower skill penalty.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:13 pm

[*]Totally viable options! I’m still building with 2h so actually the 19 rogue isn’t as beneficial to me... I may look into some more fighter

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:23 pm

If you're not using a rogue weapon then 17 rogue 6 fighter is just objectively better for the above reasons.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted