Rogue/Ranger/SD

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Kalos

Rogue/Ranger/SD

Post by Kalos » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:17 am

Thoughts on this? Any reason for more than 10 SD? Not sure on some of these feats.

Thank you.

1st: Rogue(1) - Blind Fight
2nd: Ro(2) - Evasion, Weapon Finesse
3rd: Ro(3) - Dodge, uncanny dodge I
4th: Ranger(1) - dualwield, favored enemy I
5th Ra(2)
6th Ra(3) - Mobility (discipline)
7th Ro(4)
8th ShadowDancer(1) - One w/ Shadow
9th SD(2) - WF (Edge sharp), Darkvision
10th SD(3) - Shadow daze, summon shadow
11th Ro(5)
12th SD(4) - Shadow Evade, Toughness
13 Ro(6) - Uncanny Dodge II
14 SD(5) - Defensive Roll, HiPS
15 Ro(6) - Improved Critical
16 SD(6)
17 Ro(7)
18 SD(7) - Slippery Mind, Iron Will (+2 Will)
19 Ro(8)
20 SD(8)
21 Ro(9) - Blinding Speed, EWF
22 SD(9) -
23 Ro(10) - Uncanny Dodge III
24 SD(10) - Improved Evasion, Epic Prowess
25 Ro(11) - Crippling Strike
26 Ro(12)
27 Ro(13) - Spring Attack, Crippling Strike
28 Ro(14)
29 Ro(15) - Epic Dodge
30 Ra(4) - Great Dexterity

Wuthering

Re: Rogue/Ranger/SD

Post by Wuthering » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:24 am

I think you'd want to take either 5 SD for HIPS and a shadow good enough to help you level up or 14+ for the epic shadow that has supreme survivability. I'm not sure what the benefit of 10 is unless you're trying some epic dodge scheme on a non-rogue.

Kalos

Post by Kalos » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:33 am

Oh. I just thought 10 gave me max shadow.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:28 am

I am doing a really similar build right now. It is range based but can switch into dual wield with a small loss of attack.

4-Ranger, 16-SD, 10-Rogue

It is good, great at pve, not great at pvp. 16SD gets you an extra epic feat which can be used for epic dodge and the cool down for shadow evade is around 15 seconds, I believe. This is awesome as it is nice DR, and 50% conceal. 10 rogue also gets you crippling strike or skill mastery, which is what I took for range, and automatic search checks. The key is to take at least 24 levels of Rogue+SD, that will get you the +2 on rogue weapons and good blinding speed cooldown.

As far as ranger levels, you get 1 favored enemy at level 1. If you take the archer path, your first favored enemy can actually be two-weapon fighting. This leaves you a little more versatile. If you choose to take 5 ranger levels, you can get Ambi for free as your second favored enemy feat. One other thing is that at ranger level 4 you get access to spells. That means that you can take a Spell Focus as a feat if you time it right. Taking SF Trans will let you take GSF trans at a later level, and give you access to teleport. If you have no interest in range stuff, you can use your level 5 favored enemy for GSF trans as well. Taking favored enemies for only a dip is a bit of a waste. Something to consider.

Finally, I would be cautious about taking iron will. It is nice given slippery mind, but your will saves will be junk as it is.

Kalos

Post by Kalos » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:28 am

Interesting thoughts on build. Could you write up the build progression like in my original post? I like the idea of Archer path (versatility) with GSF Trans.

Thanks.

Kalos

Post by Kalos » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:24 pm

Archnon wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:28 am
I am doing a really similar build right now. It is range based but can switch into dual wield with a small loss of attack.

4-Ranger, 16-SD, 10-Rogue

It is good, great at pve, not great at pvp. 16SD gets you an extra epic feat which can be used for epic dodge and the cool down for shadow evade is around 15 seconds, I believe. This is awesome as it is nice DR, and 50% conceal. 10 rogue also gets you crippling strike or skill mastery, which is what I took for range, and automatic search checks. The key is to take at least 24 levels of Rogue+SD, that will get you the +2 on rogue weapons and good blinding speed cooldown.

As far as ranger levels, you get 1 favored enemy at level 1. If you take the archer path, your first favored enemy can actually be two-weapon fighting. This leaves you a little more versatile. If you choose to take 5 ranger levels, you can get Ambi for free as your second favored enemy feat. One other thing is that at ranger level 4 you get access to spells. That means that you can take a Spell Focus as a feat if you time it right. Taking SF Trans will let you take GSF trans at a later level, and give you access to teleport. If you have no interest in range stuff, you can use your level 5 favored enemy for GSF trans as well. Taking favored enemies for only a dip is a bit of a waste. Something to consider.

Finally, I would be cautious about taking iron will. It is nice given slippery mind, but your will saves will be junk as it is.
So if I go 5 ranger which level do I take from SD or Rogue?
Thanks.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:00 am

**Edit** I am not a build guru. Please take this with a heavy grain of salt because it can be done much much better**Edit**

Really sorry man, RL been crazy.

Below is the build I did for a Svirf. Or at least I would of done if I were smart and took Rogue first. As it stands, it nets you some nice stuff and 290 skill points. If you take a level away, I would take one away from Shadow dancer. 10 rogue on anything but an elf is nice because it nets you automatic search checks. Ultimately, I think if I redid this I would 1.) start with rogue 2.) Drop an SD level to pick up a ranger level at 27 to take GSF Trans and a huge discipline dip. 3.) Use the level 21 feat for EWF.

You can drop GSF Trans entirely but it is a huge quality of life thing for the portaling, especially if you are like me and you don't get long stretches to play. I take skill mastery for traps because I am an RP masochist and it fit the character. However, I highly recommend crippling strike at level 10 rogue. You can also take level 10 rogue earlier if you are not playing a trap heavy character. 15SD+10Rogue still nets you the 24 needed for the rogue weapons and cooldowns and 15 levels SD gets your shadowevade cool down to like 45 seconds. You will also be able to take blinding speed and epic dodge earlier if you play pretty much any non +2ECL class. Stack Dex and some Int for skill points (290 is based on 14 Int). I would also recommend taking 13 wisdom.... You can find a Leafwalker Token in game that gives you up to a level 3 spell slot for ranger even at level 4. This lets you cast bladethirst on your templates for arrows which applies hit dice, not caster level. So at level 26 right now, I am still getting 1d6Negative +4 Vampiric on templates even though I am only 4 ranger. If you can sneak in a wand feat it wouldn't be crazy either and you can use leafwalker to make wands for yourself, though it isn't necessary.

Class Feats (Class) Feats (Class)
Rogue 1 Dodge
Rogue 2 Weapon Finesse
Rogue 3 WF Missle
Ranger 1-path(archer) Rapid Reload, Rapid Shot, Pbshot
Ranger 2
Ranger 3 Mobility
Rogue 4
Shadow 1
Shadow 2 Blind Fight
Shadow 3

Shadow 4