Half-Orc Fighter/Weapon Master/Rogue

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

a shrouded figure

Half-Orc Fighter/Weapon Master/Rogue

Post by a shrouded figure » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:28 pm

I'm sure this has been done before, and it's basically the same as the STR cookie cutter WM now that I look at it... *shrugs* I think it's a fun idea, and I've been enjoying the character so far. I have a two questions that hopefully people can give feedback on.

Half-Orc, Any Alignment

STR: 18 + 2 gift = 20 (30)
DEX: 13 + 2 gift = 15
CON: 14
WIS: 8
INT: 14
CHA: 6

F: Exotic Weapon, Expertise
F: Two-Weapon
F: Weapon Focus
F: Weapon Specialization
F: --
F: Dodge, Mobility
F: Spring Attack
F: Improved Two-Weapon
F: Whirlwind Attack
WM: Weapon of Choice --

*** QUESTION *** Two-Bladed Sword vs. Double Axe? My thoughts are that with high STR, fighter WS and EWS, massive criticals on the blood weapons, and access to power attack, I'm probably getting a hair more from 4x criticals on the double axe vs. the slightly more criticals on the two-bladed sword? I like either thematically for this build, advice would be appreciated.

WM: Improved Critical
WM: --
WM: Knockdown*
F: Improved Knockdown*
F: Blind Fight
F: Great Strength, EWF
F: EWS
F: Great Strength
F: Armor Skin
Ro: Great Strength
Ro: --
Ro: --
F: Epic Skill Focus: Disc, Epic Prowess

*Knockdown and IKD vs... Toughness and Imp Expertise? Knockdown and Imp Expertise? Keep KD & IKD? Disarm & Imp Disarm? I know that disarm would be strong on this build due to large weapons, but I was told it's basically useless in PVE. I guess the question is do I want to splash for PvP or just go PVE. I'm assuming full PVE i would want toughness and Imp Expertise? Some help here would be appreciated.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Half-Orc Fighter/Weapon Master/Rogue

Post by Shadowy Reality » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:50 pm

As an half-orc you do not need 15 Dex because you get Ambidexterity for free. Neither TWF or ITWF require Dex. Those points and gift are better spent on Constitution.

Two Bladed vs Double Axe is mostly a personal preference. Sustained output vs Spikes. Versus low AC targets Two Bladed is likely better, against high AC Double Axe probably does better. In PvP, if you cannot reliably hit your target spike damage (higher critical multiplier) is more valuable than a larger threat range.

Always gear and build for PvP. PvE in Arelith tends to be fairly easy. Anything that performs well in PvP will likely perform well in PvE as well.

Of all the feats you mentioned Toughness is the least important. I would value Improved Expertise the highest. Between Improved Disarm and Improved Knockdown it is a matter of preference. However: Knockdown has a larger range of utilities and might win you fights when it lands. Disarm does not work in PvE at all.

a shrouded figure

Re: Half-Orc Fighter/Weapon Master/Rogue

Post by a shrouded figure » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:31 pm

Dang it!! Lolol. That’s what I get for starting a build before consulting the professionals. Poor orc gets deleted before he ever gets to shine.

On the up side he’s going to be a lot better now that I don’t need the 15 dex woo woo.