Favored / Studied Enemy Guide 2020

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

garrbear758

Favored / Studied Enemy Guide 2020

Post by garrbear758 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:05 am

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The top 18 is based off of personal experience along with the last census from Spyre (although that's about 7 months old now). PvP was given an emphasis, but good PvE choices such as dragon and undead were taken before less popular races such as award races and gnomes. If you have any suggestions on the order and reasoning behind it, I am definitely open to making changes.

Please suggest any good studied enemy locations I missed and they will be added, especially if you know of one for halflings besides Bendir Dale.

I will keep this updated as new award races are added.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Invader_Nym

Re: Favored / Studied Enemy Guide 2020

Post by Invader_Nym » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:47 am

I'd bump dragon down to the bottom of the PVE list, and definitely rank outsider above it. I would probably rank giant and aberration above reptilian, half-elf, and halfling, though this is I suppose a matter of how your prioritize pvp over pve. For whatever it's worth I don't think I've been in PVP vs a halfling in like a decade playing on Arelith.

Really dragon and reptilian are the only ones that don't seem great to me. Are there many PC reptilians?

I do wish they'd put driders back into the petrified forest. Aberrations were removed from the ruined city, and now from the petrified forest, making it less and less the sure thing it once was. Now it seems like there are the weak lowbie driders and then the epic lowerdark stuff and very little inbetween. I rather liked the previous prevalence of aberrations, from a ranger roleplay perspective, because you ended up specializing in an enemy that was native to your territory.

I also abhor "half-elf" as a racial type and think it shouldn't exist. In 3.5 half-elves are considered elves with respect to all things keying off racial type, and my feeling is that we should do that here too. Or perhaps we should create a quarter-elf subrace, and eighth-elf subrace as well.

edit: I think the trolls in the slime cave in the UD are giant as well, may want to add that to your list of locations

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:53 am

The generic pvp/pve lists weren't in order, but I changed it to order them. I have dragons high up because, while you don't fight a lot of them, the ones you do fight are among the harder enemies you'll fight. I'd rather have the damage bonuses against a dragon than something easy to kill.

There are a lot of PC reptilians in the underdark, because kobolds fall under reptilian.

Driders were still in the petrified forest as of a few weeks ago. Unless there was a very recent change to it, there should still be driders there.

Half-elves are a dumb racial type, but I can't do too much about it.

Thanks for the input!

flamesse

Post by flamesse » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:20 am

hello, related the favoured enemies...
1. do the award race pcs count as base race for the purpose of favoured enemy ?(eg: minotaur counts as base race half-orc or npc race monstuos humanoid/ same goblin is it base race halfling or npc race goblinoid)
2. does the extra 2ab from bane of enemies c ount toward bypaSsing dr or not?
thanks in advance

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:13 pm

Award and monster races count as their actual race.
Minotaur is monstrous humanoid, firbolg is Fey, imp is outsider, goblin is goblinoid, etc.

Genasi, tiefling, aasimar and any award race which has more than 1 base race will count as its base race.

Bane of enemies does not count towards piercing DR

flamesse

Post by flamesse » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:19 pm

:S was afraid so...but thanks for clearing that :)

flamesse

Post by flamesse » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:36 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:13 pm
Bane of enemies does not count towards piercing DR
but i were to delevel to ranger 16(to keep HIPS) and take AA levels to get +5 for piercing DR, would i be allowed to take another ranger at 30 for rounding up my discipline? would i be breaking the ''3lvl/cl rule?
thanks

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:55 pm

The 3 level rule only refers to the first 3 levels.

For example, you can go 3 ranger, 3 rogue, 1 ranger, 1 rogue, 3 fighter.
You cannot go 3 ranger, 2 rogue, 1 ranger, or 2 ranger, 3 rogue, 1 ranger.

If you want to have ranger HIPs and Bane of enemies along with +5 arrows from arcane archer, I would strongly reccomend the 21 ranger 9 aa build kenji posted on the 'all things ranged' page.

flamesse

Post by flamesse » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:16 pm

uuu...that would get me BoE aswell...thatll be great getting all that damage past DR :D thanks alot for the tip :)