My Barbarian / Ranger / Fighter

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

a shrouded figure

My Barbarian / Ranger / Fighter

Post by a shrouded figure » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:30 pm

Maybe some potential here...

Human
Non-Lawful
Gift of STR
Gift of CON

Starting Stats:
STR: 16 -> 18 (26)
DEX: 10
CON: 16 -> 18
Wis: 11
Int: 13
Cha: 8

1 R - Toughness, Weapon Focus, FE
2 R - --
3 R - Expertise
4 R - --
5 R - FE
6 R - Improved Expertise
7 R - --
8 R - --
9 R - Improved Critical
10 BB - --
11 BB - --
12 BB - Knockdown
13 BB - --
14 BB - --
15 BB - Improved Knockdown
16 BB - --
17 BB - --
18 BB - Blind Fight
19 BB - --
20 BB - --
21 F - Great Strength, Epic Weapon Focus
22 F - Armor Skin
23 F - --
24 F - Weapon Specialization, Epic Weapon Specialization
25 BB - --
26 BB - --
27 BB - Epic Prowess
28 *F - --
29 BB - --
30 BB - Thundering Rage

* One level of F can be traded for BB, 5 fighter gives you +1 AC, whereas 17 BB gives you +1/- DR

Finishes at 25 BAB, 6 Attacks (7 with haste, 8 during rage)
+2 AC from Barbarian Dodge, +1 AC from Ranger Dual Wield, +1 AC from Fighter Chest, (sadly only gets 3/6 Tumble AC).

33 Disc, 33 Lore, 33 Heal, 12 Spellcraft, 15 Tumble, 35 Extra (could go taunt or go Intimidate w/ Terrifying Rage in lieu of Thundering as you have plenty of attacks anyway).

Obviously you're not going to have a lot of spells (lol), but generally it looks like a fairly fun build. Let me know what you think!

Easy tweaks include dropping toughness for Exotic to take a double bladed weapon or 18-20/x2 off hands. Basic differences are going to be

1d8 19-20/x2 Double Sword (+2 AB, Requires Exotic, 50/50 on Improved Critical vs. Toughness, your call personally I lean towards Imp Crit on 19-20's)

1d8 20/x3 Double Axe (+2 AB, Requires Exotic, I'd suggest taking toughness over improved critical)

1d6 20/x2 Quarter Staff (+2 AB and you get Imp Critical + Toughness, lowest DPS)

Single Handed Weapons, 19-20/x2, 20/x3, 18-20/x2 (or whatever you choose to use) (-2 AB due to one handed, decent pick for exotic to open up more weapons, no brainer for improved critical easy access to 18-20/x2, opens up more random options for weapon use due to being 1h focus, easier to pull out a shield or use for example a Katana or Dwaraxe - whatever your heart desires!)

Archnon

Re: My Barbarian / Ranger / Fighter

Post by Archnon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:22 pm

On the spell issue, something to consider is taking the wand feat or the potion feat. Basically, with 4 levels of ranger and a leafwalker token, you can unlock a spell slot for the first three levels. With a wand or potion feat you can apply this to those items.

As it stands with 9 levels in ranger, your companion is an RP token and anything cast from the spell book is dispel bait. Further, with a wand or potion, your CL may actually be higher than your raw ranger CL and will have a 30 mundane for purposes of dispel. So way better move to cast anything from there. Further, at 9 ranger levels you only unlock level 2 spells without items.

The 9 levels in ranger to get the free two-weapon fighting feat seems a bit much. If you went 5 levels, you could take two-weapon and ambi as actually feats for your FE. Then you could put the remaining 4 levels in fighter to net improved two-weapon and one more feat, balancing out the potions thing. You will want to hit 13 wisdom to be able to use those spells though.

Points into both intimidate and taunt are awesome. terrifying rage with proper investment can get up to a 39 save, has a half round stun (time to knock down your opponent) and is a free action. Worth thinking about.

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:46 pm

My thoughts for 9 ranger was more so to get full twf feats with 8 or 10 dexterity. Compared to 15 dexterity you’d be better off going Half Orc for free ambi and dropping ranger all together I suspect (I haven’t run the numbers).

I do like the idea tho, I hadn’t realized that you could take twf with FE feats, pretty interesting.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:01 pm

I've mentioned this before so not sure if it is a known bug or just the reality of the class, but you can actually take archer path ranger, and still take the TWF feats with your FE at level 1 and level 5. Something else to consider if you wanted to toss some axes. Might give the build a little more versatility, though it is completely unnecessary and would lose you 1 AC at level 4 for dual wielding and need to take WF thrown.

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:06 pm

Does DW throwing axes actually increase attacks per round? So like rapid shot + itwf would net you 7 throwing axes per round?

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:01 pm

I think you need to qualify for ambidexterity to take it as a Ranger feat? I am pretty sure I tested that and yuo still need 15 dex.