DEX Paladin

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

msterswrdsmn

DEX Paladin

Post by msterswrdsmn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:46 am

I don't really build with paladins much, so...I'm not sure how viable this is. But thoughts? Input? I'm wanting to try new build concepts/ideas outside of what i'm comfortable playing with

Dr. B

Re: DEX Paladin

Post by Dr. B » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:24 am

Do you want it to be paladin dominant or will you settle for Paladin dip? You could go 20/4/6 Rogue/Fighter/Paladin. Invest in dex and charisma, with 13 strength for power attack, divine might, and divine shield. Single-wield with rapier or katana and tower shield.

If you want to go paladin-dominant, I suppose you could, but your damage will be butts.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:12 am

Paladin-dominate. And yes, the damage is going to be awful. I could probably use parry/cleave to help with that somewhat, but parry mode in itself brings up a whole new set of viability issues.

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:51 am

I was going to suggest the ol' 16 Rogue / 4 Paladin / 10 CoT, which fills the divine DEX build reasonably comfortably and manages to pull out a decent parry score.

If you're set on paladin heavy though, I'll wish you the best of luck. That way lies suffering. Possibly you could make some sort of divine archer work, but it won't be awfully pretty.

Curve

Post by Curve » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:30 pm

Sent you a PM, mstrswrdsmn

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 pm

the divrogue, so 19rogue/3paladin/8cot (12rogue/3pal/5cot pre-epic). powerful build (although the paragon variant is indubitably better: no 13 STR req, and more feats)

you'll hate yourself for playing a dex-based heavy paladin. don't do it.
Sockss wrote: There is an overriding premise that all changes should be appreciated and welcomed because someone has taken time out for free to make them. [...] I don't believe volunteering should put your work above criticism [...] .

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:02 pm

If you have to go dedicated Paladin levels, it’s possible to go zen archery Wisdom Paladin ranged build.

Dex would become the default dump stat if ranger levels are taken for the free ranged feats without having to meet the prerequisites.

26 Paladin / 4 Ranger and go sling and shield.

Could possibly do 23 Paladin / 4 Fighter / 3 Monk if you’re willing to forego the easy access to bundles that come with rangers. It’ll be a stat intensive build and 5% gears are required more so than usual for the build to be optimal.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:29 pm

Rogue17/CoT10/Paladin3 is probably the most balanced and versatile build I've ever played. It plays very much like a Rogue13/WM7/Fighter10, but you have all the saves in the world and a supply of divine juice to go all super sayan with.

The DEX-based ranged variant suggested by Kenji sounds totally doable. A workable meme would be a zen archery WIS base; paladin gets +stat to WIS after all, and that extra dosage of divine favour never hurt no-one.

Playing a non-ranger and having to whittle all my arrow bundles manually was pure hell for me, so appraise your own industriousness honestly!
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect