[Solved] Con Barbarian 30

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Void

[Solved] Con Barbarian 30

Post by Void » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:21 am

How much of a bad idea is that?
Human barbarian, obviously.

A quick test in PGCC (before it broke) demonstrated that starting with 20 constitution is not necessarily a good idea, as I lose access to combat expertise and if I want a two-hander, it seems like I'm going to need it.
Last edited by Void on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Orian_666

Re: Con Barbarian 30

Post by Orian_666 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:05 pm

Con Barb is generally going to neglect AC for the sake of EDR and HP so Expertise isn't really that important for it.
So yeah you'd go 2-hander, get at least 21 Con, pump the rest into Str, take fighter levels in early epics for the extra feats to get EDR and still get your Epic Rage feats, and just rely on killing enemies before they kill you.
A full build can pretty easily reach around 900+HP, 20-25%DI, 14/-DR, 48-50AB at 5-6APR, and do acceptable damage per hit, while raging.
It's incredibly tedious to level up because pre epic you have little to no DR, and only a small amount of DI, and the build relies very heavily on that, so 1-23ish is a real chore, after that though the build performs solidly especially in groups, even though it has extremely low AC it can still effectively tank some of the tougher bosses simply through attrition, while also contributing good damage.
Again though, it's a pain to level something like that!

Void

Post by Void » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:25 pm

Orian_666 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:05 pm
Con Barb is generally going to neglect AC for the sake of EDR and HP so Expertise isn't really that important for it.
So yeah you'd go 2-hander, get at least 21 Con, pump the rest into Str, take fighter levels in early epics for the extra feats to get EDR and still get your Epic Rage feats, and just rely on killing enemies before they kill you.
A full build can pretty easily reach around 900+HP, 20-25%DI, 14/-DR, 48-50AB at 5-6APR, and do acceptable damage per hit, while raging.
It's incredibly tedious to level up because pre epic you have little to no DR, and only a small amount of DI, and the build relies very heavily on that, so 1-23ish is a real chore, after that though the build performs solidly especially in groups, even though it has extremely low AC it can still effectively tank some of the tougher bosses simply through attrition, while also contributing good damage.
Again though, it's a pain to level something like that!
Pain to level sounds like a problem for me, because I often end up without a group. And judging by the quick test in PGCC, it seems like this will require mountains of healthkits as it is.

So, I suppose rather than going for full con investment, it would make sense to drop con a little (as long as you still reach 21) and get some way to bump AC a bit?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:37 pm

18 should really be the max you want to shoot for on a Barbarian. If you're going solely barbarian, you might consider going tribal. It will probably reward you more than plain 30 barbarian.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:10 pm

Ork wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:37 pm
18 should really be the max you want to shoot for on a Barbarian. If you're going solely barbarian, you might consider going tribal. It will probably reward you more than plain 30 barbarian.
18 assuming I still want EDR, correct?

Algol

Post by Algol » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:19 pm

You need 21 con for EDR. Are you set on playin a human? Something like a dwarf may be more suiting for what you seek.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:35 pm

Algol wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:19 pm
You need 21 con for EDR. Are you set on playin a human? Something like a dwarf may be more suiting for what you seek.
Yeah, I know of requirement just wanted to know if Ork meant con and the idea was to pull it up to 21 or if there was something else.
Yeah, I'd prefer a human. I'm familiar with dwarven lore, it isn't something I'd want for now.
Also, I"m just considering a concept at the moment. I already have a main char, EDR is fun, but I'm uncertain if I'll be able to invest sufficient amoutn of time to get the char to the spot where I can take EDR. Limited playtime, you see..

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:08 pm

STR based and 18 con. Any more con will have lower value than str. EDR isnt worth it because eventually dying slower but also killing things much slower is a bad trade except when you're guarding someone.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:46 pm

I'm actually just quoting a scenario because i've no idea how much AC does a Con Barb have, as it depends on gear and build.
But if i'm going into the direction that you are forgoing all the AC and simply rely on EDR and DI to sustain, i think that it's a bad idea.

This is because having extremely low AC makes Critical hits happen more often. I'm sure that you will have realised that when certain monsters which you can hit fully in a single APR, the proc of critical is horrifying high even at a threat range of 19-20.
Hence, assuming your end build, your AC only falls below 40. It's pretty much a sure thing that critical is going to happen on your toon alot, and it's horribly lot. Your DR is unlikely to catch up.

And, there are plenty of monsters, PVE-wise, that does status on hit. I'm not sure on other people but the chance of rolling a "1" is actually quite high, at least for me. Everytime that i went to the battlefield, i will sometimes get stunned by those necromage throwing the mind spell despite having over 25 will saves. And assuming that you are taking every hit, you will need to be immune to the status effect to tank effectively....

Void

Post by Void » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:23 pm

Alright, I think I got the picture.

Thanks for the responses. I'll be unsubscribing.