Do weapons have different reach?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Void

Do weapons have different reach?

Post by Void » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:39 am

I'm talking about melee attack range.

Thinking about longsword vs greatsword vs greataxe vs halberd.

The range is the same for everything, right?
Another forum ban, here we go again.

garrbear758

Re: Do weapons have different reach?

Post by garrbear758 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:14 am

So, the short answer is no, but the technically correct answer is yes.

Baseitems.2da has a line called PrefAttackDist which is the preferred distance you stand when attacking with that weapon. For example, a shortsword's PrefAttackDist is 1.2 and a longsword's is 1.5.

This value is solely for animations for melee weapons. There is no mechanical way to use a melee weapon with a longer PrefAttackDist to prevent someone from being able to attack back.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Void

Post by Void » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:26 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:14 am

Baseitems.2da has a line called PrefAttackDist which is the preferred distance you stand when attacking with that weapon. For example, a shortsword's PrefAttackDist is 1.2 and a longsword's is 1.5.

This value is solely for animations for melee weapons. There is no mechanical way to use a melee weapon with a longer PrefAttackDist to prevent someone from being able to attack back.
Does this distance affect recurring situation where your character after finishing an enemy, instead of switching to the next one decides "nah, I'm done", goes flatfooted and starts to admire surroundings?
Another forum ban, here we go again.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:15 pm

NegInfinity wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:26 pm
garrbear758 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:14 am

Does this distance affect recurring situation where your character after finishing an enemy, instead of switching to the next one decides "nah, I'm done", goes flatfooted and starts to admire surroundings?
I also wonder about that. Also, in those situations where your foe has longer range than you (harpies for example) and sometimes you suddenly stop attacking because you 'glitch' out of your attack range, or so it seems. Does the range of the weapon affect that?
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:27 pm

It does....and moust benefit will you find when you have summons/alies blocking your way to enemy and you can atack thro them...moust noticable is that with whip which is nearly semi ranged

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:50 am

CptJonas wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:27 pm
It does....and moust benefit will you find when you have summons/alies blocking your way to enemy and you can atack thro them...moust noticable is that with whip which is nearly semi ranged
That's a good point that I forgot about. Thanks!
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted