Dual Wield, Kama’s Vs. Quarterstaff

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

a shrouded figure

Dual Wield, Kama’s Vs. Quarterstaff

Post by a shrouded figure » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 pm

Any advantage to one or the other? My gut says you’re better off with the Quarterstaff for the +2 ab but I wasn’t sure if there was some hidden bonus to using two kama’s?

Opustus

Re: Dual Wield, Kama’s Vs. Quarterstaff

Post by Opustus » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:28 pm

The biggest advantage is that small races can dualwield kamas efficiently, because they're tiny. There are also some niche builds that want monk UBAB but can't afford the dualwield feats that are either small so they can't use katana, because it's medium and they would have to twohand it, or they're medium and can't afford the exotic prof feat for katana access.

In all medium-sized cases, the highest end kamas are +4 AB and +7 slash, so endgame you'll be trading 1 AB for 1 damage vs. the +3 AB, +6 bludge quarterstaff. Quarterstaff is a large weapon so improved disarm adds 4 AB against small weapons and 8 AB against tiny weapons. Conversely, quarterstaff doesn't yield the same advantage to enemy disarmers. (Btw, I don't know how prevalent imp disarm is on the server so the aforementioned point might be moot.) As ranger/monk quarterstaff is always better, because blade thirst gets higher AB anyhow and you save a spell slot by having to enchant only one weapon.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:09 pm

QS gets +2 ab for being 2-handed.
QS has a better damage type.
Kama can be used in Flurry mode and afaik QS still cant be?
Kama is +4 ab +7 damage and QS is +3 ab +6 damage.
QS better for disarm.
Kama can be dual wielded by small creatures.

So if it's not a small creature and not a spellsword (that would rather have up to 4 imbue types active rather than 2) I'd go for the QS. QS also looks cool in all ages and you can walk around with it in settlements.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:26 pm

I’ve tested and confirmed that flurry works with QS.

I was looking at a weird monk / swashbuckler parry build, some fun options there.

Void

Post by Void » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:19 am

a shrouded figure wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:26 pm
I’ve tested and confirmed that flurry works with QS.

I was looking at a weird monk / swashbuckler parry build, some fun options there.
Parry does not seem to take offhand attack into account. Meaning if you're dealing 2 attacks per round due to the having offhand weapon, you'll be parrying only one. It also deflects only one attack per flurry. Meaning with super high parry skill you can defeats opponents with high AB, as long as their BAB is not higher than 15 or as long as they make no more than 3 attacks per round.

Attacks past 3rd will be placed into 1st flurry, and that will go past your parry skill. Meaning if you were happily fending off tough oponents prior to that point, now attacks will be making through your parrying attempts.

I killed my parry rogue attempt because of that right now.

https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Parry
https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Flurry
Another forum ban, here we go again.