Help with a Priest of Brandobaris build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

TheBlueWizard

Help with a Priest of Brandobaris build

Post by TheBlueWizard » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:31 pm

So, I want to make a new character who is a Priest of Brandobaris. Cos I love Halflings, and as a god Brandobaris is great, because he pretty much encapsulates one cliche of what a Halfling is. Also goes into the way I like to RP daft characters who enjoy a joke.

My main problem is I'm not overly great at making builds.

The major focus/requirements I'd like for myself for the build is;

- Heavy mix between Cleric/Rogue
- Focus on traditional Rogue skills, eg. Open Lock, Disarm Trap, etc...
- Ability to solo Writs, maybe.
- No skill dumping in later levels

So, yeah. Not a lot. I'm not mega bothered about making an optimal build that focuses on skill dumping in later levels. I don't get much time to play anymore since me and my partner had a baby, so I don't really ever envision having a level 30 character. Mainly I get to play in the mornings cos of work and energy levels, so I often find myself having to solo writs and stuff, due to lack of options for help for me.

I'm a bit of a dunce at times it seems when trying to understand mechanics and stuff. I'd like to have some kind of guy who has the possibility of breaking into places, having a laugh, nothing too nefarious. I'm not sure what the highest DC on people's personal quarters is for locks and traps, and I'm not sure if it's meta gaming too much, but for the most fun aspect of the character I'd love to be able to break into places, leave cheeky notes, etc... after all, the main ideology of Brandobaris is the fun of the adventure, not the acquisition of possessions/money.

My main questions for the build would be:

- Can a Cleric/Rogue build get Epic Summons, and is it worth it?
- Is it worth focusing more Rogue levels for the AC bonus from Medium Armour at Rogue 9?
- Would a Wisdom build be better, focusing on sling and Zen Archery? Would that adversely affect the bonus to Rogue skills from Dex modifier?
- How to manage Stats for all the skills/stuff I want

Main question to answer is how to manage a build were I want to focus so much on skills more for RP purposes, while also maintaining something credible in a fight. Cleric barely gets any skill points per level, so I imagine a heavy Int dump on creation, maybe? But that would cripple all the other stats, since I'd have to maybe focus heavily on Dex/Wis/Int, while still having some measure of Con and Str.

So, yeah. Any help? Sorry for any advance in all the awkward requirements I've set for myself. Normally I'd spend a good while getting back into building a character myself, and look into all the intricacies alone, and test it, etc. But what with the baby and all, I have so little time to do that, when I'd rather just play. I'd be trying a build for weeks before I'd even get to log on.

a shrouded figure

Re: Help with a Priest of Brandobaris build

Post by a shrouded figure » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:09 pm

I would suggest (personally) doing a dex build, something like...

10 str
16 dex (18 w/gift)
12 con
16 wis (18 w/gift)
14 int
8 cha

Rogue 7 / Cleric 23 (or 5 rogue 25 cleric)

I’d personally build It along the lines of 3 rogue, 5 cleric, 1 rogue, 5 cleric, 1 rogue etc so your rogue levels are technically skill dumps... but they’re frequent so you still feel like a rogue as you’re leveling up. The trouble with a build like this is that clerics are definitely skill starved, and the rogue levels will want a bunch of skills.

You don’t seem too worried about being optimal so maybe nothing to stress about but this will be a fairly tricky build to optimize.

I love ideas like this, but sadly rogue and cleric are about as far apart on the stat requirements as it gets. A zen archer throwing character is certainly an option, but then you’d be needing to dip archer or suffer making all of your own darts or w/e and would hurt your CL even more.

TheBlueWizard

Re: Help with a Priest of Brandobaris build

Post by TheBlueWizard » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:19 pm

a shrouded figure wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:09 pm
I would suggest (personally) doing a dex build, something like...

10 str
16 dex (18 w/gift)
12 con
16 wis (18 w/gift)
14 int
8 cha

Rogue 7 / Cleric 23 (or 5 rogue 25 cleric)

I’d personally build It along the lines of 3 rogue, 5 cleric, 1 rogue, 5 cleric, 1 rogue etc so your rogue levels are technically skill dumps... but they’re frequent so you still feel like a rogue as you’re leveling up. The trouble with a build like this is that clerics are definitely skill starved, and the rogue levels will want a bunch of skills.

You don’t seem too worried about being optimal so maybe nothing to stress about but this will be a fairly tricky build to optimize.

I love ideas like this, but sadly rogue and cleric are about as far apart on the stat requirements as it gets. A zen archer throwing character is certainly an option, but then you’d be needing to dip archer or suffer making all of your own darts or w/e and would hurt your CL even more.
This is the kind of build I was thinking I'd have to go with, tbh. I made a similar style character on another server once, dipping into Rogue every 5 levels, and he worked alright. Less focused on the thief style skills, though, cos that server lacked any real potential to even use them.

Cheers for the advice