What are some good dual wield builds?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

GoboJenkins
Arelith Platinum Supporter

What are some good dual wield builds?

Post by GoboJenkins » Tue May 26, 2020 7:55 pm

I keep tossing around an idea to do a dual wield character. My question, is ranger an essential part of that build do to the + armor you get with the arelith custom hak or is that just to balance? Thanks for any good advice.
- One can never have too much information.

AstralUniverse

Re: What are some good dual wield builds?

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue May 26, 2020 8:28 pm

You dont have to dual-wield as a ranger. The ac bonus ranger gets was to offset the ranger's lack of defense in their kit. In my opinion ranger is the best class for dual-wield because Blade Thirst heals on hit, which offsets the lack of defense even more, but a cookie-cutter fighter weapon master has enough feats for the dual wield feats and can still be a wonderful double-kukri wielder while reserving the option to also use a shield and improved expertise at times of need. On Arelith, half orcs get Ambidexterity and dont need 15 base dex to be a dual wielders so that's also something to consider. Over all I really recommend the build guides on Arelith discord.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed May 27, 2020 1:17 am

I'm a huge fan of ranger with a monk dip, because blade thirst with that many attacks is just beautiful, but there's a lot of classes that make dual-wielders that range from serviceable to excellent. Hexblade, spellsword, the 24/6 rogue/fighter, etc. It really depends on what you wanna play.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Thu May 28, 2020 4:21 pm

I would think almost any martial class could dual wield pretty effectively these days, what with the new weapon group feats. You no longer have to spend double feats on two different weapon types. So Rogues, Fighters, Barbarians, even Paladins could probably dual wield fairly easily you just don't get the feats for free like with Ranger.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Thu May 28, 2020 8:01 pm

20/7/3 Ftr/WM/Rogue with kukris is a pretty straightforward and effective setup.