Cleric of Lloth Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

TheRoyalMagus

Cleric of Lloth Build

Post by TheRoyalMagus » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:07 pm

Hello,

I have a 3 gift female cleric of Lloth sitting in my vault that I completely forgot about. I have no idea what my plans for her were, or what build I was planning. I've never really leveled in the Underdark before. So I turn to you wonderful people to help with a build that will be able to carry it's weight in the late-game Underdark content. Character information below, if I forget something important please let me know.

Level 3 Female Drow Cleric with the Noble Background.

Domains: Trickery & Travel
Str: 16
Dex:10
Con: 12
Int: 12
Wis: 18
Cha: 16
Feats: SF: Conj & GSF Conj.

As you can see, my stats are far from ideal. First thought was Battle Cleric, but not with that low of Con and not sure why I put Cha at 16 and int at 12. Hopefully something salvageable can be done. Thanks!

Dr. B

Re: Cleric of Lloth Build

Post by Dr. B » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:11 am

Same idea, but abj. is now swapped or conj. and the feat order is shuffled. Choose ESF: Conj. in lieu of Arcane Defense.

01: Cleric(1): Expertise, Domain Travel, Domain Trickery, {Weapon Proficiency: Elf}
02: Cleric(2)
03: Cleric(3): Weapon Focus: 1H Edged
04: Cleric(4) str +1 (17)
05: Cleric(5)
06: Cleric(6): Improved Expertise
07: Cleric(7)
08: Cleric(8) str +1 (18)
09: Cleric(9): Extend Spell
10: Cleric(10)
11: Cleric(11)
12: Cleric(12): Improved Critical: 1H Edged, str +1 (19)
13: Cleric(13)
14: Cleric(14)
15: Cleric(15): Blind Fight
16: Cleric(16)
17: Cleric(17)
18: Cleric(18): Spell Focus: Abjuration
19: Cleric(19)
20: Cleric(20) wis +1 (19)
21: Cleric(21): Epic Weapon Focus: 1H Edged
22: Cleric(22)
23: Cleric(23): Armor Skin
24: Cleric(24): Arcane Defense: Abjuration, str +1 (20)
25: Cleric(25)
26: Cleric(26): GSF: Abjuration or EDK
27: Cleric(27): Great Strength I (21)
28: Bard(1) str +1 (22)
29: Bard(2)
30: Bard(3): Epic Prowess

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:12 am

Can't have expertise without 13 INT last I checked.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

BattleDrake

Post by BattleDrake » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:13 am

That build doesn't account for the fact they don't have 13 int, and it completely neglects all that charisma.

Here's a quick battlecleric that would work. Haven't checked it so would need to go over it with a fine tooth comb. 12 con is about what you're going to get with a drow. 12 or 14 is all you can expect. Wish there was more feats for things like improved crit, or edk, or a plethora of other things, but they're always so feat starved.

EDIT: Looking back, I think divine shield has to be done on a cleric level, and not 100% if you can take esf conj on a fighter level. Probably have to switch those feats around a bit.

EDIT2: Realized I put weapon focus twice. Switch that out for armor skin or something.

EDIT3: Think I got it.

01: Cleric(1): SF:Conj, Domain Travel, Domain Trickery, {Weapon Proficiency: Elf}
02: Cleric(2)
03: Cleric(3): GSF:Conj
04: Cleric(4) int +1(13)
05: Cleric(5)
06: Cleric(6): Expertise
07: Cleric(7)
08: Cleric(8) str +1 (17)
09: Cleric(9): Imp. Expertise
10: Cleric(10)
11: Cleric(11)
12: Cleric(12): Extend Spell, str +1 (18)
13: Cleric(13)
14: Cleric(14)
15: Cleric(15): Blind Fight
16: Cleric(16) wis + 1(19)
17: Cleric(17)
18: Cleric(18): Divine Shield
19: Cleric(19)
20: Cleric(20) str +1 (19)
21: Cleric(21): ESF: Conj
22: Fighter(1): Weapon Focus: 1h Edge
23: Fighter(2): EWF: 1h edge
24: Fighter(3): Armor Skin, str +1 (20)
25: Cleric(22)
26: Cleric(23): Divine Might
27: Fighter(4): WepSpec/EWS: 1H Edge
28: Bard(1) str +1 (21)
29: Bard(2)
30: Bard(3): Great Strength - str(22)

Recent Characters:
Aramis - "S'fine piece of art yer havin' there." (Shelved)
Eradyn - Trying to make the world a better place. (Shelved)
[Redacted] - ? (?)
Skek - Happiness in Endless Industry. (Rolled)

dallion43

Post by dallion43 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:59 am

I believe the solution you might want to consider is sling with zen archery(wiz ab) and DS and DM. Put one point in int to get exp and imp.exp.
Shuriken of many evils is another option but not on this stat spread.
Ranged is in a good place now with templates damage wise, you end with 24wiz, sling can be used with shield, DM/DS/DP/DF will make you relevant to some extent.
The real issue here is 12int. Cler already has 2sp per lvl, that brings you to 3 sps per lvl on most of your lvls.
Even with heavy use of defensive casting you need 20 concentration. Etc, etc etc.

If you go with DS/DM prepare for heavy gearing effort. Meaning master rune on every item. This is a real effort that will take a lot of time. 3 stats and heavy lack of SPs. I am aware some posts on the forums make it sound like gearing a 3rd stat dip properly is easy but it is simply not true is you take saves and sp into count.
If you decide to disregard your cha completely on this 3 lvl PC just make a cookie eating battle cleric or caster. You will gain more output and fun along the way. Take into consideration that many cookies pre-lore change are expired to some extent.

For more relevant input post your thoughts on the above.
Imho, of course.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:50 am

If you're going to consider dipping seven levels in the realm of battle-cleric, based on your current stats, I would consider Cleric23/Fighter4/Blackguard3.

1: Take one point in intelligence immediately at level 4. Put your next six stat-ups into wisdom. You want the extra point in your casting stat more than you want the 22 skill points from another int stat-up, because it doesn't look like you're planning to squeeze in rogue skills. You're going to fall short of that sweet spot of 30 charisma with gear.

2: It's okay that your charisma is only going to reach +9, because you're going to get blackguard bonus to saves with it.

3: Taking the levels in these other classes pre-epic allows you a higher BAB to make up for not putting more points into STR, and will give you a nice early quality of life benefit to saves. It also allows you to shove slightly more epic-spellcasting feats into your final levels.

4: I would give up blind fight - that is downright sinful to suggest on a build that is focused on doing damage by making attack rolls, but your build has a caveat- you cast spells, then smash things, and invisibility purge is on your spell list, which will remove the concealment from improved invisibility. I'm personally a fan of the zen archery suggestion. It allows you to put your attack rolls and spell DC's on the same stat, and your strength score will still benefit you in the form of mighty and running around in a plate and (potentially) tower shield.

It's worth noting that if you find yourself tempted by zen archery, that there's a solid argument to take ranger levels instead of fighter levels and use the -path command to go archer- you lose the choice of three fighter feats, but gain point blank shot, rapid reload, and rapid shot, unlocking your full potential with both bows and crossbows- and more importantly, you don't have the dexterity score necessary to do this without the path by taking fighter levels (Dex Requirement 13 for rapid shot). Since you only need 3 ranger levels to do this, you can put an extra level into cleric to shore up your dispel resistances.

You can always swap the bow/crossbow for a mace/tower shield when someone actually gets close to you, but in the meantime, cast all your divine buffs and go to town with these. You can swap to a melee/shield if you're drawing a lot of hate, and turn on I.E., gaining 18 AC (carry a bronze tower shield and +5 it) and allowing you to switch to a heal-tank/(weak) dc-caster.
Ashwood Light/Heavy Crossbow wrote:Attack Bonus: +4
Enhancement Bonus: Dexterity +2
Mighty +6
Massive Criticals 2d10
Runic
WardBreaker Heavy Crossbow wrote:Attack Bonus +5
Massive Criticals +2d12
Mighty +5
-3 Dodge AC
-1 Dex Bonus
Race Restriction: Elf, Half-Elf
Alignment Restriction: Evil
UMD Requirement: 50
Must be crafted by: Drow
5: This advice is probably not optimal - and it will cost you some late game benefits compared to other end-game focused builds. But you'll get rolling a little faster and still perform capably at higher levels. Getting dispelled in a fight is your cue to GTFO; but you probably already knew that when you decided to make a cleric that hits things. :lol:

6: None of the builds mentioned here that include divine might or divine shield have power attack on them. I'm looking at the wiki, and there is no documentation of divine might and divine shield no longer requiring power attack (although I did make that mistake once, because blackguards no longer require cleave or power attack, and I conflated them), so you're going to have to account for that in your build, whatever you do, if you want those feats (you definitely do if going the zen archer route). #4 probably looks a little less sinful to you now, though.

Edit: For the ranger idea to work without being behind on feats, though, you'd have to go back to level 2, and take power attack at level 3, which will let you use the first favored enemy feat of your first ranger level to take greater spell focus, and also allow you to take Zen archery on the same feat-based level while picking up your path feats- you seem to be locked into the fighter/bard path.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

TooManyPotatoes

Post by TooManyPotatoes » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:59 am

Can you not just do a rebuild? I was under the impression if you deleted before level 5 you got the gift back?

Edit: http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Epic_Sacrifice

See Refund section at the end.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:41 pm

TooManyPotatoes wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:59 am
Can you not just do a rebuild? I was under the impression if you deleted before level 5 you got the gift back?

Edit: http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Epic_Sacrifice

See Refund section at the end.
You're confusing gifts (which everyone gets at character creation) and awards (earned from rolling characters). Once upon a time, all characters could take three major (i.e. +2 stat) gifts regardless of subrace ECL. It would be impossible to remake now.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

BattleDrake

Post by BattleDrake » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:35 am

Definitely forgot about power attack. I knew it felt weird I had an extra feat in there. Haven't made a bcleric in so long. I like the bg idea for saves, that was one thing i was considering since bard felt kinda bland.

Recent Characters:
Aramis - "S'fine piece of art yer havin' there." (Shelved)
Eradyn - Trying to make the world a better place. (Shelved)
[Redacted] - ? (?)
Skek - Happiness in Endless Industry. (Rolled)

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:18 pm

If you have less than 27 CL (even arguably 29 with Arcane Defense), you could be in a world of hurt when it comes to being dispelled.

There is nothing more satisfying than charging into battle and someone trying to rip buffs from you only you to flex so hard in divine magic you just roflstomp.

There is nothing more frustrating than charging into battle and losing everything.

23/4/3 is fine, but players are smarter now than they ever were. Greater Dispelling got buffed. Your wards will get shredded. Even in some PvE content you have to be careful.

If you're fine with being careful, go for it. Otherwise, prepare to be dispelled hard.

edit: tbh, I'd also avoid Divine Might/Divine Shield. What do you want your wind-up to be? Divine Favour-Divine Power-Haste? Divine Power-Haste-Battletide? Divine Might-Divine-Shield-Haste?

If's the last option, just play a bard/blackguard. Unless you're just wanting to toss Divine Might/Shield into the top to have a greater "up time" of buffs throughout multiple encounters. But you're never popping off Divine Favour, Divine Power, Haste, Battletide, Divine Might, Divine Shield, etc etc all in a single encounter. Maybe like against Paush, but everything else would be dead by then (or you would be).
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:30 pm

I would just go Cleric/Blackguard and gear for STR and CHA for a battlecleric with high saves. You might miss out on 3 AC from not dipping Bard but that's not the end of the world on a character with level 9 spells, if you play smart you'll be letting an ancient air elemental tank for you anyways. High saves and maxed out spellcraft along with a higher CL will make you safe from most mages.
“The punishing of wits enhances their authority.”
Francis Bacon