Swashbuckler Questions

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Seven Sons of Sin

Swashbuckler Questions

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:42 pm

1. Is Acrobatics Skill Mastery an instant action, or a standard action?

2. Second Intention and Feint have a "once per round" trigger - does that mean their cooldown is 6 seconds? Or, could you Second Intention at the 3rd flurry, and then right after at the 1st flurry?

3. Second Intention/Feint both include your (social skills / 5) for calculating DCs. Is it taking raw ranks? final score? etc

4. Second Intention/Feint both target STR/CON respectively, but the wiki doesn't say how long is this penalty for? Is it 1 round? Are these actions "attacks" like KD, etc.?

5. What's the point of Panache? I know it's synergy with Feint and Second Int is obvious, but it seems like Swashbuckler suffers MAD. You want to care about Intelligence more than Charisma, on top of STR/DEX & Con. I suppose in div-swashbuckler builds it strongs, but this is just another cookie for div-builds. Maybe Panache should be changed to a flat bonus? Or what am I missing?

6. Third Intention has to be an instant action, right?
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Swashbuckler Questions

Post by The Kriv » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:42 pm
1. Is Acrobatics Skill Mastery an instant action, or a standard action?

2. Second Intention and Feint have a "once per round" trigger - does that mean their cooldown is 6 seconds? Or, could you Second Intention at the 3rd flurry, and then right after at the 1st flurry?

3. Second Intention/Feint both include your (social skills / 5) for calculating DCs. Is it taking raw ranks? final score? etc

4. Second Intention/Feint both target STR/CON respectively, but the wiki doesn't say how long is this penalty for? Is it 1 round? Are these actions "attacks" like KD, etc.?

5. What's the point of Panache? I know it's synergy with Feint and Second Int is obvious, but it seems like Swashbuckler suffers MAD. You want to care about Intelligence more than Charisma, on top of STR/DEX & Con. I suppose in div-swashbuckler builds it strongs, but this is just another cookie for div-builds. Maybe Panache should be changed to a flat bonus? Or what am I missing?

6. Third Intention has to be an instant action, right?
1) Acrobatics Skill is absolutely instantaneous. you activate it (hot bar map is my recommendation) and away you go!!

2) it is automatic trigger. there isn't anything you need to do to activate it, there isn't anything you can do to stop it from happening, and there isn't any way for you to designate which attack it will fire off on.

3) as I understand it... it takes into account your total skill, with enchants... but I may need to re-read it, but that's my understanding.

4) I don't recall exactly, but if you mouse-over the ability, it gives more detail... when I log into my Swashbuckler, I will see what the mouseover says.

5) Pinache is a small perk. it means that if you have social skills... that deal with Charisma.. it doubles your modifier.

that means... if you drink a potion eagle spleandor.... and you get +2 bonus... you actually get +4. And if you have 14 charisma (+2 bonus) as far as your skills are concerned, you act like you have 18 (+4 bonus)

now... are you a min-maxer trying to make the most epic build? Well... maybe swashbuckler isn't the class for you.

I'm really enjoying the Swashbuckler... I dumped tons of ranks into Ride... so on the surface I'm always mounted, for the extra AC from the mount... I'm fully invested in Parry, with as much parry specific specialty gear that I can find... and she totally holds her own against even big groups... it's a tricky bit of juggling, positioning, and killing the casters first... then mopping up Melee with Parry skill... MY swashbuckler deletes giants and trolls... has ZERO umd, so no wands... she is still is only in Leather Armor +1 and no shield... it is pure parry survival and heal kits. and the RP is a ton of fun.

Swashbuckler, all the way! Go for it! Make one and just mess around.. see if you like it.. and if not, trash it.

It's a lot of fun. I can't recommend it enough.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:24 am

AC from being mounted..? Isn’t it just retaining your tumble AC via ride ranks?

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:00 am

The IG feat description says:

Once per round you will attempt a ride check to increase your Armor Class by 1 point for every 5 of the check result.
Use: automatic

that was what I have been going on... but looking up in the RIDE-WIKI page of the Arelith Wiki it doesn't mention this.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:47 am

The Kriv wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:00 am
The IG feat description says:

Once per round you will attempt a ride check to increase your Armor Class by 1 point for every 5 of the check result.
Use: automatic

that was what I have been going on... but looking up in the RIDE-WIKI page of the Arelith Wiki it doesn't mention this.
Afaik when mounted ride simply replaces tumble in regards to ac bonus per 5 ranks. Maybe the dev had to code a check every 6 sec to see if you're mounted or not.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:39 pm

http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Riding

I don't think it does the base stuff anymore.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.