Ride

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Aardra

Ride

Post by Aardra » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:24 am

Okay, so I'm getting conflicting answers about this, ranging anywhere from 6 to 30. I'd like my character to be able to ride horses for aesthetic/RP reasons, and not necessarily be the best rider out there. How much ride is generally needed to not fall off? Thanks!
"I am wounded by my own incorrigible politeness."

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Ride

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:49 am

30 modified ranks is enough that you should almost never fall off anything but a wild horse. I've still fallen off common horses on rare occasions with 35+, so I'm not convinced that there's ever a guarantee, whether or not it was intended.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:08 pm

Aardra wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:24 am
Okay, so I'm getting conflicting answers about this, ranging anywhere from 6 to 30. I'd like my character to be able to ride horses for aesthetic/RP reasons, and not necessarily be the best rider out there. How much ride is generally needed to not fall off? Thanks!
My character now has 13 "bought" ranks in ride, 12 dex, and usually wears full plate and a tower shield. With that, I almost never see him fall off normal riding horses and packhorses now. Even war horses I cannot recall him falling of recently. But yeah, wild horses are usually only grabbed for those comedic times of hopping on, taking a step, getting kicked off...rinse and repeat 4 times in a map ;)

I do not know if this is just recent luck or what, or if there has been a change to ride, but it has been nice as compared to constantly being bucked off whilst just standing guard on a horse and not moving or whilst traveling at a canter along a road.

Aardra

Post by Aardra » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:54 pm

Thank you both. :)
"I am wounded by my own incorrigible politeness."