Random Q: Multiple Immunities vs Damage

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Random Q: Multiple Immunities vs Damage

Post by Skibbles » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:37 pm

I can't sleep so this has been on my mind for what seems like no reason.

Say you have one of those clubs or gloves that grants an extra damage type (piercing) on top of the weapon type (bludgeoning).

Say you fight someone with pierce only or bludgeon only immunity (let's just choose ten percent). Is it a total bypass or a strange quasi-mitigation?

Now to take it further to the real question: say you have someone who has ten percent of both piercing AND bludgeoning. Does this stack to twenty percent since immunities stack, since it's a single damage value of both types, or does it remain at the ten percent without stacking at all?
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Hidden in the Sand

Re: Random Q: Multiple Immunities vs Damage

Post by Hidden in the Sand » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:22 am

1.69 changed it to always use the least resisted/immune damage type. So if your club has piercing/bludgeoning and you hit a man without bludgeoning immunity, you will bypass all his DI even if he's got piercing immunity. All physical damage (of the two types) is changed to the least resisted type, so even if you swing a MD halberd at a man with 10% slashing immunity and 0% piercing immunity, the 6 damage on the MD halberd is also counted as piercing despite being listed as slashing.

If you have 10% to both damage types, then 10% is used and the first listed damage type is used (in your example, it would all count as bludgeoning damage). The only time the secondary damage type is used is when striking something with damage resistance or immunity.

Skibbles

Re: Random Q: Multiple Immunities vs Damage

Post by Skibbles » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:30 am

Thank you for this answer by the way. I forgot to say that.

I didn't know this!
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.