NOT USING Dirty Fighting?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Waldo52

NOT USING Dirty Fighting?

Post by Waldo52 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:07 am

Dirty fighting can be a bit of a headache, because everyone wants you to go for the blinding sand variant (or whatever you call it). This is incompatible with two weapon fighting or sword and board, and the other ones seem a bit iffy. Not to mention needing all that basin/gear investment to get the relevant skill high enough.

With that said is it ever viable to just not touch dirty fighting and ignore it completely? Or do you think it's too good to ignore as a rogue class feature.

AstralUniverse

Re: NOT USING Dirty Fighting?

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:31 pm

Too good to ignore.

Rogue needs as many tools of flat-footing opponents as possible. Almost anything a rogue can do to proc sneak attacks is worth doing.

It's also entirely within the gear scope of rogue. 2 maxed stats, 3-5 properties of skill +2 on every item, optimal saves. those 3 skills should be move, sleight of hand for dirty fighting, and discipline, with the extra 2 skills on some gear pieces going to spellcraft and maybe hide or spot. Rogue usually has more than one gear set, and this is just the 'combat' set.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:04 pm

I use dirty fighting with it's Slow effect instead of the sand and I'm very happy with it.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:37 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:31 pm

Too good to ignore.

Rogue needs as many tools of flat-footing opponents as possible. Almost anything a rogue can do to proc sneak attacks is worth doing.

It's also entirely within the gear scope of rogue. 2 maxed stats, 3-5 properties of skill +2 on every item, optimal saves. those 3 skills should be move, sleight of hand for dirty fighting, and discipline, with the extra 2 skills on some gear pieces going to spellcraft and maybe hide or spot. Rogue usually has more than one gear set, and this is just the 'combat' set.

Interesting, you mention two maxed stats.

I was trying to maximize three: STR, DEX and CON

Maybe if I don't pump strength so hard I'll have more wiggle room on my gear for unisave.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:54 am

In the past, you'd get really rich on your rogue and hard 5 str on your gear, and then you also use str skleen so your str would be maxed or almost maxed eventually. We'll see how it fares in the new gearing system. Should be able to gear some str when it goes live.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:50 am

I haven't been using it on my rogue, so that I can choose sub-optimal feats, which is fun only in the fantasies inside my head. Wouldn't recommend it.