Arelith Combat Simulator

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Zaphiel
Contributor
Contributor

Arelith Combat Simulator

Post by Zaphiel » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:03 pm

Hello everyone. In the past, I did write and share a Python script that was simulating attacks and gave a simulation report. I have rewritten the simulator in Rust and added a user interface for ease of use. It is quite simple to use. You first need to create a weapon that the character will be holding. You can override the threat range and critical multiplier of the weapon in order to simulate bonuses such as weapon master threat range increase, etc. After the weapon is created, you can create a new character. You need to set some stats, such as STR, base APR, extra APR, some features (basically feats such as blind fight, dual-wield), etc. After creating the character, you can now simulate it against a target AC range. The more rounds simulated, the more accurate results are going to be achieved. My recommendation is always to simulate 500000 rounds.

This simulator is available on Windows and Linux. You can download it from here. It's also open source, which you can be found here.

(The simulated characters in the above picture are just random value simulations in order to demonstrate.)

Edited for grammar to make it worse, probably.

Opustus

Re: Arelith Combat Simulator

Post by Opustus » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:37 pm

Cool! I made the same thing using R and expected values over simulation, but never got around to learning how to make the UI so it's just been for private use. This is so nice to get to share!

Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Kythana

Post by Kythana » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:31 am

This is really good, love it!

If you're interested in feedback, it would be great to be able to copy characters/weapons.

Additionally, labels for damage types would be cool too.

But really, great tool.

Zaphiel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zaphiel » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:18 am

Kythana wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:31 am

If you're interested in feedback, it would be great to be able to copy characters/weapons.

But really, great tool.

I am definitely open to all suggestions. I will work on the tool and improve it slowly. I plan to add copy/duplicate feature along with editing. What do you mean by labels for damage types, I didn't understand that one :?

Kythana

Post by Kythana » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:17 pm

Zaphiel wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:18 am
Kythana wrote:

But really, great tool.

I am definitely open to all suggestions. I will work on the tool and improve it slowly. I plan to add copy/duplicate feature along with editing. What do you mean by labels for damage types, I didn't understand that one :?

When we go to create an item property for a weapon, we can select the damage bonus, type, and the dice associated with it.

Once it's created, in Weapons, you can go over and highlight properties to see the breakdown of all the damage.

So it would be really useful, using that example, to be able to label the +4 as Enchantment bonus, or the +6 as Epic Weapon Specialization, or the 1d6 for the temporary essence. Just to give some clarity on each one, and making it easier to not forget certain dice.

Zaphiel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zaphiel » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:53 pm

Kythana wrote:

So it would be really useful, using that example, to be able to label the +4 as Enchantment bonus, or the +6 as Epic Weapon Specialization, or the 1d6 for the temporary essence. Just to give some clarity on each one, and making it easier to not forget certain dice.

Ah, I see. Yeah, makes sense. I will note it down.