Warlock Pirate.

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.
IAmSwampFoot

Warlock Pirate.

Post by IAmSwampFoot » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:54 am

At some point I had made an LE Warlock Pirate of Sencliff. I did not really play him.
I know I can relevel him in game, but I have no idea the skills I will need to play him effectively (or what skills I've taken. I've not checked.)

So, without going into build ideas and multiclassing here, what skills should a Warlock Pirate have?

Also, how can I change my alignment? Anything Lawful does not feel very piratey.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Warlock Pirate.

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:07 am

For the alignment change, you can request it here:
https://astrolabe.nwnarelith.com/support

I would also say Sail is an essential skill as a pirate, but that's a given 😅

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:13 am

Concentration, Discipline, Spellcraft and Tumble are core and you probably want bluff or perform for disguise, UMD and some others. Sail of course if you're sailing.

In my opinion LE pirate is doable if you're an infernalist or a pirate with a code or something like that... Figure out what lawful means to them, it doesn't have to be obeying the laws of Cordor and it's still "evil". But maybe they'll change it for you, just saying it isn't impossible and you won't be the only LE pirate.

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Sandrow » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:54 am

From my own sailing experience, you need sail, spellcraft, the more the better. Few sailling enemies will knockdown you. But most of them sneakattacks. Another threat is meteor swarms from some caster enemies. You need the ability to cast elementals shield, which grant you 50% immunity to fire.

Fathomless pact's sail bonus is neat, especially when you are trying to get 100 sail. But party sailing doesn't welcome tentecles, since you will be the main threat to all sailor, and most sailors would die within 1 round or two. The demon pact is also an unpredictable threat to other sailor.

A popular multiclass option among pirates is Loremaster. When you have a steable bond with other pirates, -yoink others aboard is extremely convenient. Sound lance and circle of doom, withering ray, or eldrich doom are welcomed since they are party friendly AOE. Sing sea shanty is good, but bards always sings better.

In general, warlock pirates would focus on their sailing ability as well as teamwork abilities, at a cost of their solo potential or PVP strength.

helitron

Post by helitron » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:34 am

As mentioned before, sail is essential if you want to contribute to overall sailing score on a boat. However, you have to see if you can fit SF and ESF focus sail in there to get to the high numbers. nevertheless, I played pirates who had 0 sail investment and still had a lot of fun.
Other useful skills are search, locks, traps and appraise to make most out of the plundered loot.
Lore, UMD and spellcraft are good skills to have on any char.
Bluff or perform in case you want to disguise yourself. But you can go without and proudly display your pirate ink.

Rolled characters:
William Bones; Durk Rotgrun; Hector Bartholomew; Rali Runehammer; Daris Blake; Nathaniel Silvers; Mordarok; Guy Silvers; Shayleth Shadowblood

IAmSwampFoot

Post by IAmSwampFoot » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:31 pm

In general, warlock pirates would focus on their sailing ability as well as teamwork abilities, at a cost of their solo potential or PVP strength.["

Are the summons no strong enough to use as a solo PVE?

Edit: Sorry, don't know how to do a proper quote.

l3laze

Post by l3laze » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:33 am

Fathomless warlock, sailing gift, SF sail, ESF sail. That's what you need for a warlock pirate

You have freedom regarding the build, if you want some meme builds you can try a dual pact build, dex based build works, summoner build works. Obviously it will never be on par with an infernal summoner or star pact blastlock but what is important is the theme of your character. If you want something different you can try a meleelock, 20 str/18 cha/max dex,
20 str for greater hideous blow
18 cha for your epic pact
rest dex for epic eldritch mastery

You have 9 warlock feats in total that you can play with, epic pact (3), epic mastery (3), greater hideous blow(2), eldritch doom or spear (1). Doom is the best choice if you don't want to use withering ray in PvE instead if you want to use withering ray eldritch spear helps a lot in situations where it is preferable to keep distance from your target.
A spell that I highly recommend is dark undertow, it allows you to teleport a target towards you if the distance is not excessive and if it does not have FoM.

Cheers!

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Sandrow » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:24 am

IAmSwampFoot wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:31 pm

Are the summons no strong enough to use as a solo PVE?
Edit: Sorry, don't know how to do a proper quote.

If you multiclass into LM for more sail and yoink, you won't gain epic eldrich summons, which requires 28 in warlock. In that situation. Perhaps you'll pick three undying pact for undead summons, but such trade off would sacrifice many class feats.

There are so many trade offs my friend. Although a rich loremaster can deal with most situations.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:55 pm

Thematically Fathomless is best but you don't have to be. It gets +9 to sail, but you can take sail gift, SF and ESF sail for +21 like any other character and still get a high sail score. Undying is a little boring but it's strong defensively and you get tier 6 undead at level 20 (with 24 charisma) and can dip LM or whatever without it hurting too much.

I could see a star pact warlock sailor being just as solid to RP as fathomless. Sailors would use the stars for navigation after all.