There's too Many UD Portal Exceptions

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Naghast

Re: There's too Many UD Portal Exceptions

Post by Naghast » Tue May 14, 2024 9:02 am

Eyeliner wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 8:31 pm

The Hub portal limitation prevents surface gank squads from showing up to wipe everyone out. That's its one job and it does it well. I don't think it's ever meant to tightly control who belongs and doesn't. Yeah some races can play both sides, but Arelith isn't Horde Vs Alliance and that grey area is a good thing. The powers that be on either side don't have to trust them.

You know, i really don't think it's hub portal restriction that stops surface gank squads from showing up to wipe everyone out.

I think it's something else. Maybe unrelated to Andunor at all.

Considering there are portals.
Around Andunor.
And in Andunor.
That anyone can use.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Wed May 15, 2024 7:43 am

Andunorian ganks on the Surface are just as (if not more) common. Maybe they should restrict portals on the surface from being used by UD races too?

I have played on both sides (UD & Surface). Limiting portal access isn't the issue. I agree it would impede RP more than enhance. Problem behaviour of some individuals shouldn't be resolved with broad blanket solutions, they should be addressed individually.

The shop thing is great, because frankly.. Shops are incredibly hard to come by in certain Districts/Settlements and this resolves that issue on a broad scale. I'm all for doing the same thing for quarters. It gives incentive to players to spend more time in a place if they own property there and hopefully spreads out the playerbase a little between settlements.

But portals shouldn't be limited to race, especially not as someone else pointed out that you have a ton of spies and loyalists for Andunor who aren't native to the UD. Why make things harder for them? There are also a lot of races that can be on either or both sides: Duergar, Svirfs, Gloamings, Shadovar, Humans, Half Orcs. Why make things harder for them? That's a large portion of the playerbase.

somecritter

Post by somecritter » Wed May 15, 2024 8:42 am

There was a suggestion approved which proposed reducing the number of leylines in general and imposing more restrictions between the surface and the Underdark. However, since its approval, a significant number of leylines have been added, so I'm not quite sure what to make of those decisions.

As someone who has participated in raids, I welcome more restrictions and fewer leylines in general. Often, we would walk from point X to point Y just for the authentic experience.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Wed May 15, 2024 9:01 am

I would be entirely for less portals in general. I actually sometimes enjoy walking from Cordor to Nexus Falls on a "patrol". Doesn't bother me at all and I enjoy the rare few encounters with other players at times that I meet on the road.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed May 15, 2024 10:42 am

Much fewer portals sounds great.

Naghast

Post by Naghast » Wed May 15, 2024 11:10 am

I'm fine with fewer portals to be honest.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Wed May 15, 2024 4:41 pm

I enjoy rp walking through dungeons personally. That said, it’s not for everyone, and sometimes I’m in a hurry.

Same same. Portals everywhere can be nice. Sometimes playtime is limited and you want to be able to do something besides spend time in transit. That said, having 3 portals within a 2-3 area range is not offering any real convenience value. There some some “high density” areas.

I’d personally be fine with fewer portals, but don’t think there’s any real reason to do it. Right now, if you don’t want to use them, you don’t have to. The option is nice for people to have and you can always walk.

I take stairs often in liue of an escalator but wouldn’t advocate for its removal.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed May 15, 2024 6:29 pm

I really dont think surface/underdark gank squads appearing out of no where in the middle of the settlement and stomping anyone in sight, has been an issue for the past i dont know how many years. We have pretty strict raid rules with or without portal access, and it's not like taking another nearby portal and sprinting 2 screens is that hard. If that's the purpose it serves, then I think portal restrictions may as well be gone entirely.