HIPS Nerf

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

NPC Logger Number 2

Re: HIPS Nerf

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:29 pm

Orian_666 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:20 pm
How many people do you come across with shadows and you ask them IC about it and they have nothing? How many do you come across and you ask IC at all?
To be fair, if you're in a party of 5 people, and all 4 other party members have Shadows, they should be asking you why you DON'T have a Shadow at that point. Like I said, it's become so common no one even bats an eye at it anymore which is a shame. Anyways, won't derail the thread further. Carry on.
“The punishing of wits enhances their authority.”
Francis Bacon

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:31 pm

Hips was mega over powered with a 12s cool down. If your opponent is well geared they'd outlast you easily. It's like a sanctuary every 12 seconds. Yeah you can get hit with TS but the window you have is very small.

Then ontop of that you could always just leave making it almost impossible to catch someone that is simply walking away.

Maybe an alternative idea is that it has a smaller local cooldown but you can only use it 5-6 times if you use it 5-6 times in a row you get a much longer maybe 2 minute cool down or something.

That would prevent people from engaging in long winded cheese fights with Hips?
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:32 pm

NPC Logger Number 2 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:29 pm
Orian_666 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:20 pm
How many people do you come across with shadows and you ask them IC about it and they have nothing? How many do you come across and you ask IC at all?
To be fair, if you're in a party of 5 people, and all 4 other party members have Shadows, they should be asking you why you DON'T have a Shadow at that point. Like I said, it's become so common no one even bats an eye at it anymore which is a shame. Anyways, won't derail the thread further. Carry on.
Yeah can't argue that in that specific situation!! :lol: :lol:

DM Chatsworth

Post by DM Chatsworth » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:02 pm

Hey gang,

Just adding a small side note re: caltrops.

We had an internal discussion and can confirm that the use of caltrops to utilise the combat log to "detect" a stealthed person that you have NOT made the roll to spot/listen to is an exploit.

Don't do it!
Discord - DM Chatsworth#7848

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:12 pm

I love this change along with the other changes to divine shield, and monk items.

I think we're creeping back to a healthier mechanical environment. This might "nerf" Shadowdancer, but we have to look at it contextually - for like 75% of Arelith's existence, Shadowdancer never had HiPS. People still played it.

I'm excited to see what else is coming down the pipe.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:00 pm

I’m confused how stealth has been equated to gsanc?

1) one does not plan their entire skill, gear and feat distr around this spell like one does hide/ms.
2) you can simply be spotted/heard
3) doing almost anything breaks stealth
4) gsanc protects you far more than being in stealth

Sure there are other advantages to stealth, as in its repeated usability, but this is just a gross misrepresentation of these two abilities.

The consensus I’m seeing from the pro nerf camp is:

1) Ppl can’t beat SDs without dumb luck, poor skill on the SD part, or a powerful alpha strike PC or diviner with TS
2) stealth is still useful without HIPS (agree)
3) the cd should be longer than 30 sec

Am I the only one who has tools to beat a HIPSing PC without TS or 100+spot/listen? This community is incredibly creative and savvy, yet all the brilliant folks in here who can speak so decisively regarding mechanics can’t serve a SD their lunch with any number of a dozen tactics?

Any number of activities can force a SD out of stealth. Need for breach against dmg shields, ultra vision, see invis, death ward/freedom/mind blank application. It’s not like every stealth exit is dmg, sometimes you have to because a dragon is chasing you or you’re blinded and need to remove blindness. To use the counters against any number of moves to counter how you might be losing an edge on the fight, you have to break stealth. With this change you’ve now used your only HIPs for that fight, just cuz an aoe WoF.

A few things I’ve mentioned that no one has bothered to address.

1) Beating stealth isn’t about spot & listen or True Seeing vs hide/ms. That’s just one avenue, it’s about winning the fight. There are LOTS of ways to do that. Someone posted they KD and bursted 300 dmg in one round. That’s not rare. How many builds have 8apr, ranged capabilities (archers do very well easily killing PC running for 12 sec), KD, stun, aoe dmg, ward, massive crits pushing 200. Let alone access to TS, 3 dmg Shields, wands, grenades, etc. I’m sorry I just don’t accept this savvy community was “stumped” by SD HIPS at 12 sec cd, and couldn’t do quite well at 18 seconds.

2) 12 seconds is not 12 seconds. It is not realistic to enter stealth right at CD. So add part of a round in practical application at least some of the time. For those of you who want the ability gone or at a min, this doesn’t resonate. But for those wanting just a nerf, it is.

3) To build a stealth build that “reliably” beats detection, lots of sacrifices are made. Some have tried to argue this, but it’s just a reality. 43/44 ab is not great. Rogue/SD saves are trash (except reflex) and it’s hard to gear uni into a reliable range given gear requirements. And anything less than AC in the 60s is basically a wash in the current meta. My rogue/SD can hit 60c but with expertise and a shield out instead of dual wielding, there goes my dmg and ab. Can one build stealth builds that are less reliant on hiding and breaking LoS to survive? Yes. Will it require a complete rethinking of how these PCs are generally built? In a lot of ways yes, with serious sacrifices. We also haven’t talked about that all the DMG output is predicated on sneak attacks!! To the poster who mentioned that hide/ms isn't a substitute for AC, stating you can hit 50 without IE, 50 is not good AC. Put on IE and sit at 60 with epic dodge, now you're talking, but that's two feats and -10 ab so you're now in the low/mid 30s. Good luck hitting anything. You will get torn to shreds by countless builds and even a lot of PVE engagements.

With these changes I think folks are better off having WM lvls and full BaB progression than HIPS. I think this change warrants a relevel for affected PCs. You may disagree, it’s just my opinion. Corner hiding is viable. I’m not oblivious or unable to use this trick. It’s just not always applicable and incredibly limited in application. I and many others would probably much rather have 5 class lvls elsewhere now. We can’t look at these things in a vacuum. It’s easy to speak in terms of hypothetical math, but in actual combat a lot of these things play out quite differently.

HIPS was powerful. Was it too powerful? Perhaps a little. A change is a probably good thing. The smart way to do these things is iteratively. I think 18 sec would have produced a remarkably dif dynamic, 18 sec is ages in a fight. 1 HIPS per fight can still be useful, I just don’t think it’s worth the investment to get it compared to alternatives now. Previous builds are going to suffer heavily in the current meta without relevels IMO.
Last edited by Anomandaris on Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:22 pm

Nitro wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 am
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:23 am
Can I ask why this differs from using spellcraft to identify that your foe is casting protection from elements, or passing the spot check to notice a pick pocket stealing from you even if your inventory isn't open?

It seems to me that if someone scatters caltrops in front of the entrance to their quarter, in an attempt to not be followed, rather than on the transition inside where someone will load in with no chance to react, that this should not only be allowed, but is sensible.

Someone implied it was god-emoting, but if you're already paranoid and looking for someone who follows you, and they take damage on the caltrops you scattered, it seems reasonable to me that the inflicted damage would either draw blood (leaving an IC means to determine a follower) OR their skin is impossibly tough because RP reasons, and the caltrop would break, still giving an IC reason to know. (While we're at it, can we open a side-thread to discuss the fact that 95% of quarter entrances are in wide-open areas or hallways with lighting and no concealment, but it's not 'god-emoting' against the person you're following that they don't see you coming into their house behind them, even as they hurry to slam the door shut?)

Can we get clarification on this? I understand the spirit of not wanting players to go through a transition and leave traps on the transition that people can't avoid. Leaving traps outside of a transition into a locked quarter, however, seems like it handily solves the exploit factor of baiting people into traps they can't see. You don't load into the trap, you choose to go through it before you transition. You would of course still be responsible for cleaning up after yourself to ensure you don't harm innocent passerby, but it seems like the obligation should end there.
1: Caltrops last until they have dealt 25 points of damage, or until server reset.
2: You will see the combat log popup that your caltrops deal damage to someone no matter how far away you are, even in different areas.
3: There is no way to remove or avoid caltrops put in a narrow corridor.
4: The visual model of caltrops doesn't load in for people entering an area after some time has passed.

So here we have a simple item that both realistically and in P&P you should be able to just move slower to avoid, that reveals a stealther to the person who dropped the caltrops with no counterplay and cannot be removed by a stealther by any other means than triggering all 25 points of damage.

You tell me how it isn't an exploit to be inside a quarter, getting to know for free that there's a stealther outside, or heck even standing and chatting in the market two blocks away when you suddenly know there's someone fiddling with your door?
Caltrops also trigger on absolutely everything that stands on them. Including DM avatars, which really highlights how broken and dumb they are. (Unless EE fixed that)

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 am

I think 24 seconds (100% increase) would have been fine. 30 seconds (150% increase) seems a little excessive to me though. At least give shadow dancers faster stealth speed like rogues if you want to make them corner sneak more.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:34 am

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 am
I think 24 seconds (100% increase) would have been fine. 30 seconds (150% increase) seems a little excessive to me though. At least give shadow dancers faster stealth speed like rogues if you want to make them corner sneak more.
Shadowdancer levels already stack with rogue levels 1:1 for the purpose of determining access to most rogue perks, outside of grenades and AB-upon-exiting-Stealth.
what would fred rogers do?

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:42 am

This was a lot to catch up on in one sitting, admittedly I hadn't anticipated this much passion around this change (I thought people would be more caught up in the monk changes). As the person that pushed for this change, I thought I'd share some insights to provide some clarity to the community.

The original cooldown increase I pitched was for it to be anywhere between 24 seconds to 60 seconds, 24 as the bare minimum, and 60 being the largest amount of time that came to mind where I still felt it'd be perfectly reasonable to rest at. 30 seconds was settled on as a reasonable first step approach to then analyze and evaluate if it reached the desired outcome. I certainly don't see any reason why it would be lower than these values, and here's why.

HiPS is fundamentally an unfair mechanic that arguably shouldn't exist. There's a good reason why it was disabled for the majority of Arelith's existence, and to my understanding why most PvP arena servers also have it disabled. It is at its core a toxic ability that offers no means of counterplay and is simply uninteresting to play against. Upon activation, the user becomes invisible to the other player and is free to attack against their flat-footed AC. This is because the game only periodically checks for stealth to roll detection skills. True seeing, in all of its 6-second glory, doesn't do much better and can also be bypassed by correct HiPS timings, albeit it is a little tighter than standard detection skills which are essentially a complete non-factor in HiPS's power level.

So, with the ability to point-blank attack someone's flat-footed AC increased from 12 seconds to 30 seconds, where does it stand? It's still incredibly strong. There are plenty of builds that utilize stealth incredibly well that do not have HiPS in the first place. Lacking HiPS on a tiny cooldown should not break any build.

At this time there is no intention of offering an automated relevel as nothing large enough was changed to warrant it. How this affects heavy SD investment will be looked at carefully and adjustments may be made. SM's primary trade-off is +2 DC for the loss of evocation. HiPS is an added bonus that the path receives and is not integral to it, there is unlikely to be any adjustments to it on the HiPS front.

And, while I understand some people do not like to hear it, corner sneaking is always an option.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:50 am

Flower Power wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:34 am
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 am
Shadowdancer levels already stack with rogue levels 1:1 for the purpose of determining access to most rogue perks, outside of grenades and AB-upon-exiting-Stealth.
For being being a stealth ninja, they don't get the only that matters to me Though.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:52 am

Aniel wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:42 am
This was a lot to catch up on in one sitting, admittedly I hadn't anticipated this much passion around this change (I thought people would be more caught up in the monk changes). As the person that pushed for this change, I thought I'd share some insights to provide some clarity to the community.

The original cooldown increase I pitched was for it to be anywhere between 24 seconds to 60 seconds, 24 as the bare minimum, and 60 being the largest amount of time that came to mind where I still felt it'd be perfectly reasonable to rest at. 30 seconds was settled on as a reasonable first step approach to then analyze and evaluate if it reached the desired outcome. I certainly don't see any reason why it would be lower than these values, and here's why.

HiPS is fundamentally an unfair mechanic that arguably shouldn't exist. There's a good reason why it was disabled for the majority of Arelith's existence, and to my understanding why most PvP arena servers also have it disabled. It is at its core a toxic ability that offers no means of counterplay and is simply uninteresting to play against. Upon activation, the user becomes invisible to the other player and is free to attack against their flat-footed AC. This is because the game only periodically checks for stealth to roll detection skills. True seeing, in all of its 6-second glory, doesn't do much better and can also be bypassed by correct HiPS timings, albeit it is a little tighter than standard detection skills which are essentially a complete non-factor in HiPS's power level.

So, with the ability to point-blank attack someone's flat-footed AC increased from 12 seconds to 30 seconds, where does it stand? It's still incredibly strong. There are plenty of builds that utilize stealth incredibly well that do not have HiPS in the first place. Lacking HiPS on a tiny cooldown should not break any build.

At this time there is no intention of offering an automated relevel as nothing large enough was changed to warrant it. How this affects heavy SD investment will be looked at carefully and adjustments may be made. SM's primary trade-off is +2 DC for the loss of evocation. HiPS is an added bonus that the path receives and is not integral to it, there is unlikely to be any adjustments to it on the HiPS front.

And, while I understand some people do not like to hear it, corner sneaking is always an option.
Could. SD get faster stealth speed like rogues to make corner sneaking more viable?

Shiki

Post by Shiki » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:53 am

Jordenk wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:00 pm
I’m confused how stealth has been equated to gsanc?

1) one does not plan their entire skill, gear and feat distr around this spell like one does hide/ms.
2) you can simply be spotted/heard
3) doing almost anything breaks stealth
4) gsanc protects you far more than being in stealth

Sure there are other advantages to stealth, as in its repeated usability, but this is just a gross misrepresentation of these two abilities.

The consensus I’m seeing from the pro nerf camp is:

1) Ppl can’t beat SDs without dumb luck, poor skill on the SD part, or a powerful alpha strike PC or diviner with TS

Am I the only one who has tools to beat a HIPSing PC without TS or 100+spot/listen? This community is incredibly creative and savvy, yet all the brilliant folks in here who can speak so decisively regarding mechanics can’t serve a SD their lunch with any number of a dozen tactics?

Any number of activities can force a SD out of stealth. Need for breach against dmg shields, ultra vision, see invis, death ward/freedom/mind blank application. It’s not like every stealth exit is dmg, sometimes you have to because a dragon is chasing you or you’re blinded and need to remove blindness. To use the counters against any number of moves to counter how you might be losing an edge on the fight, you have to break stealth. With this change you’ve now used your only HIPs for that fight, just cuz an aoe WoF.

A few things I’ve mentioned that no one has bothered to address.

1) Beating stealth isn’t about spot & listen or True Seeing vs hide/ms. That’s just one avenue, it’s about winning the fight. There are LOTS of ways to do that. Someone posted they KD and bursted 300 dmg in one round. That’s not rare. How many builds have 8apr, ranged capabilities (archers do very well easily killing PC running for 12 sec), KD, stun, aoe dmg, ward, massive crits pushing 200. Let alone access to TS, 3 dmg Shields, wands, grenades, etc. I’m sorry I just don’t accept this savvy community was “stumped” by SD HIPS at 12 sec cd, and couldn’t do quite well at 18 seconds.

2) 12 seconds is not 12 seconds. It is not realistic to enter stealth right at CD. So add part of a round in practical application at least some of the time. For those of you who want the ability gone or at a min, this doesn’t resonate. But for those wanting just a nerf, it is.

3) To build a stealth build that “reliably” beats detection, lots of sacrifices are made. Some have tried to argue this, but it’s just a reality. 43/44 ab is not great. Rogue/SD saves are trash (except reflex) and it’s hard to gear uni into a reliable range given gear requirements. And anything less than AC in the 60s is basically a wash in the current meta. My rogue/SD can hit 60c but with expertise and a shield out instead of dual wielding, there goes my dmg and ab. Can one build stealth builds that are less reliant on hiding and breaking LoS to survive? Yes. Will it require a complete rethinking of how these PCs are generally built? In a lot of ways yes, with serious sacrifices. We also haven’t talked about that all the DMG output is predicated on sneak attacks!! To the poster who mentioned that hide/ms isn't a substitute for AC, stating you can hit 50 without IE, 50 is not good AC. Put on IE and sit at 60 with epic dodge, now you're talking, but that's two feats and -10 ab so you're now in the low/mid 30s. Good luck hitting anything. You will get torn to shreds by countless builds and even a lot of PVE engagements.

With these changes I think folks are better off having WM lvls and full BaB progression than HIPS. I think this change warrants a relevel for affected PCs. You may disagree, it’s just my opinion. Corner hiding is viable. I’m not oblivious or unable to use this trick. It’s just not always applicable and incredibly limited in application. I and many others would probably much rather have 5 class lvls elsewhere now. We can’t look at these things in a vacuum. It’s easy to speak in terms of hypothetical math, but in actual combat a lot of these things play out quite differently.

HIPS was powerful. Was it too powerful? Perhaps a little. A change is a probably good thing. The smart way to do these things is iteratively. I think 18 sec would have produced a remarkably dif dynamic, 18 sec is ages in a fight. 1 HIPS per fight can still be useful, I just don’t think it’s worth the investment to get it compared to alternatives now. Previous builds are going to suffer heavily in the current meta without relevels IMO.
On your first point:

If you aren't taking spot or listen, or weighing the fact that not having them makes you meat vs HIPS users, you deserve your fate. It's a tradeoff I've made before, but never unknowingly. I plan around stealthers on characters that are not stealthers. I plan around stealthers on characters that ARE stealthers.

Point 2:

They will likely not see or hear a properly built, prepared SD. They will likely not see or hear an improperly built, or otherwise unprepared SD (though 'they' will be more common in that event). Very few people have enough detection to see or hear a stealther, and the ones who do are trying very hard, and you'll very quickly learn who they are and avoid them if you're smart.

You can be heard, potentially, because that's much more difficult to get the skill levels into 100+ territory. Any SD at all should be sitting at 105+ stealth actually all the time, and that's before environmental factors. I can do this on a ranger with gear and the right buffs. The same ranger has real trouble reaching higher than 96 MS, which is still stratospheric. SDs have the Hide skill on lock better than any other class in the game. Understand the scale on which Hide and Move Silently operate on.

Point 3:

Heal kits do not, and stealth for an SD is a reliable way to completely break contact. Or you could stealth, dip behind cover and drink a heal potion. Or you can just stealth and drink the heal potion anyway now you have a breather. Toggle iexp on after drinking and smile as you take no damage.

Point 4:

Gsanc protects you marginally better than a stealth built HIPS character. It protects against a few things that stealth will not and allows rebuffing. Its primary use is that it gives you, potentially, time to reassess the situation and leave or stay if needed. If you actually needed Gsanc, you likely need to leave. People leading combat with it are throwing away their get-out-of-trouble-free card if the fight sours for them.

Gsanc also has reliable counterplay that HIPS does not. That it is rarer now to encounter that counterplay does not equate to point 2. You can truesight scroll and use a mordenkainens item or spellcast, if you're playing a mage. Gsanc is now removed utterly from combat for the next 4 and a half minutes or so. They can't poof on you anymore. They can only run, or fight.

Stealth is a contact breaker, like Gsanc. It's less flexible than Gsanc in its potential to let you ward on the spot, but offers, for HIPS users, the option of repeat usage. It also has much more aggressive offensive applications in allowing you to force an enemy to be flat-footed against you regardless of whether they detect you in stealth or not, meaning that even if you cannot use it to run, you can use it to win.

It is a gross misrepresentation to equate Gsanc and HIPS in its 12 second cd state, yes. Gross in favor of Gsanc. Gsanc edit: ...is way worse than HIPS in almost any iteration where HIPS is usable more often than Gsanc. Forgot to type that.

The consensus:

Yes, because the SD can almost always safely run from almost anyone. Or could force flat footed status at will every two rounds or so and hit you with a full flurry of sneak attacks.

Okay.

That's five combat rounds. I'd like it to be longer because it means every 6 combat rounds the SD can force a round of flatfooted or leave. Or leave and then force TWO rounds of flat-footed when they come back and attack out of stealth, then hips immediately on top of you and then attack again out of stealth. If a PVP is ending in 30 seconds real time, someone involved has made an error.

And that can happen. That does not validate the mechanical power of being able to force flat footedness every three rounds and all of the other combat versatility being able to stealth at will opens up for a shadowdancer or other HIPS user. Corner stealthing is very powerful and is still open to them, there's hardly anything to complain about with it being raised to 30 seconds.

Moving on, yes, you apparently are the only one able to counterplay HIPS users without ever counterplaying HIPS users. Damage shields are not a counterplay to someone hostiling and becoming invisible. They are a counterplay to the person trying to swing at you, in that it will cost them. The evoker combo, if one is also a diviner, could be considered a counterplay, for instance. Because one would lead with Truesight and follow with unavoidable stuns potentially preventing a dip back into HIPS.

You causing any number of effects that give them the opportunity to leave HIPS and counter that effect is not a counter to HIPS. It is an option you present them, and they have always also the option to walk away.

I'll now bother address your points that no one else has bothered to address, apparently:

1: First, that's two avenues, unless you're generalizing that the 'avenue' is beating their stealth, which both of those potentially do. Many builds that have features like this, all of them have counters. Some of them do not generally exist. 8 APR and 200 damage crits is no longer possible, as naginata monks were rightly nerfed. Very precious few builds except a greataxe CoT WM can push that kind of damage in a single strike, and a greataxe CoT WM is also going to resemble tissuepaper to a dual wielding SD in kind. KD will not work on a decently built SD. Stuns have counterplay. Wards, whatever you mean by that, have counterplay.

Truestrike is useful only if you can see them and they let you drink it and then hit them. Since you don't have spot or truesight in this theoretical, and they are HIPSers with 12 second HIPS anyway, you can in fact do neither. Damage shields, wands, and grenades do not help you see the HIPSer, and are not counters to HIPS or Stealth, and only Damage Shields would even contribute directly. The rest are self buffing tools that ought to be a given, or things that might be used on the stealther if they're visible to you, which they are not.

2: 12 seconds is definitely 12 seconds. But I think the point you want to make is that it's unreasonable to dip into stealth exactly 12 seconds after leaving stealth. You're right. 13 or 14 seconds would be quite likely. That fact matters very, very little. It neither refutes nor changes the meaning or effect of anything I've discussed very much. Which is also true of HIPS in its current 30s cooldown state. Aniel has said, and I agree, HIPS is still very, very powerful.

3: Yes, there will be tradeoffs. That's what makes an RPG good, competitive choices where you feel a cost at the opportunity lost by making the choices you made. A HIPS user has options and ways to cause their enemies to be vulnerable to them to compensate for poor AB.

Why is it that the HIPS user does not have access to all these counterplays to HIPS, like stuns, or truestrike? All the same things apply to the non-stealther, except more-so, because the non-stealther generally will lack a means to authoritatively break contact that the HIPS user does not lack.

If your saves are not good, learn how to make them better. Better gearing is possible and raises those saves. It is an option available to everyone. People who have good saves are people who use that option. It is also the case that with UMD and Lore, saves are easily covered by blanket immunities to certain effects. Shadow Shield on a chestpiece covers NEP and death ward, clarity potions make you mind immune. You should never be in a situation where you didn't have the option to HIPS and drink a clarity potion, or use a mind blank scroll, and while that will break stealth, you are now only at risk of death after breaching and to fortitude, which should be easily raised with +fort on gear, and +will as well, or unisaves are both very good options.

There are, in fact, ways you can and should already have been playing even with HIPS which would have done nothing but improve your capabilities, such as corner sneaking, and I do not think the fact that HIPS was so incredibly powerful as to render those incredibly powerful methods of play un-necessary is a support of your arguments.

If the inability to cope with HIPS being raised from once every 3 rounds to once every 6 rounds is enough to cause a character to be unable to function, that character's build was actually hot garbage, or they were wandering into places they shouldn't be alone in anyway. In either case, it is a teachable moment.

Damage output predicated on sneak attacks exists. This is why corner stealth exists, and why you sneak when an enemy isn't focusing on you. You have UMD and lore. Summon a pet. You have the potential of having Knockdown, which will allow sneaks, you have the option to bring a tank instead of yourself.

Improved Expertise and Epic Dodge is actually several more than two feats, but effectively gives you 65 AC, assuming 60 AC is where you actually sit. This renders you effectively safe from anything but a paladin or a battlecleric, and nearly immune to anything utilizing touch attacks. It even has an effect on the damage output of things like arcane archers and rangers. You are not going to die in 5 rounds to a single enemy if you have both of those things. You aren't likely to die in ten rounds to a single enemy in an engagement where you have both of those things.

I don't think more than once in a single fight that you can, without any counterplay, HIPS and flatfoot a target, is fair. If that were all it did, I would still say 30s is VERY strong, but it also means that after 30s you might choose to leave because the fight isn't going well for you, or take a moment to breath before re-engaging. It is an incredibly powerful ability with a ten minute cooldown. It's an incredibly powerful ability that you have the button in the game at all.

I think, having picked all of that stuff that wasn't quite correct apart, I understand you were trying to get around to making a case for the nerf to be lessened because people build around HIPS. I can't say whether it was nerfed enough or too much with authority. I'd bet it wasn't nerfed enough. As it was, anyone built purely around the use of HIPS as their hammer with which to respond to nails was coming dangerously close to exploiting. Anyone whose character is now unplayable was leaning on an extremely strong gimmick instead of building a viable, mechanically capable character.

It was an incredibly useful survival tool. Now it will not let you put yourself into places you have no mechanical business being, or make you actually play with the mechanics and find other ways to use your character that you should have already been doing anyway, while remaining an incredibly useful survival tool.
Last edited by Shiki on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:55 am

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:52 am
Could. SD get faster stealth speed like rogues to make corner sneaking more viable?
This is already the case and has been for a little bit. Just a few updates ago from Spyre.

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:09 am

Shiki wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:53 am
It was an incredibly useful survival tool. Now it will not let you put yourself into places you have no mechanical business being, or make you actually play with the mechanics and find other ways to use your character that you should have already been doing anyway, while remaining an incredibly useful survival tool.
When a 5 level dip lets pretty sun elves go shopping in Anundor with impunity, it needs to be nerfed.
Francis Bacon

Shiki

Post by Shiki » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:16 am

Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:09 am
When a 5 level dip lets pretty sun elves go shopping in Anundor with impunity, it needs to be nerfed.
I agree?

I was explaining to Jordenk why I think he hasn't got his facts straight, not supporting the idea that HIPS was balanced or that HIPS users should need a rebuild for what is a rather minor nerf to what is, understandably, an important part of their class fantasy, and is essentially just a powerful toy slapped on top of the stealth mechanic that remains entirely unchanged for them.

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 am

Shiki wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:16 am
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:09 am
I agree?

I was explaining to Jordenk why I think he hasn't got his facts straight, not supporting the idea that HIPS was balanced or that HIPS users should need a rebuild for what is a rather minor nerf to what is, understandably, an important part of their class fantasy, and is essentially just a powerful toy slapped on top of the stealth mechanic that remains entirely unchanged for them.
Yeah I'm in agreement with your entire post. Was just adding onto what you said about people putting themselves in places they have no mechanical business being. Have seen plenty of level 12 elves just decide it's time to go hang out in Anundor once they get their 5th shadow dancer level.
Francis Bacon

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:31 am

I'm not really sure that 5 SD is a magic number for ignoring conflict, but it's a good point that it was extremely difficult to actually kill someone that had HiPS unless you got a lot of lucky crits off for huge burst.

That being said, I wouldn't say "they have no mechanical business being there." Drow aren't the only evil elves. An outcast sun elf would be pretty cool. I always loved seeing more variety of elves in Andunor.

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:36 am

Aniel wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:31 am
I'm not really sure that 5 SD is a magic number for ignoring conflict, but it's a good point that it was extremely difficult to actually kill someone that had HiPS unless you got a lot of lucky crits off for huge burst.

That being said, I wouldn't say "they have no mechanical business being there." Drow aren't the only evil elves. An outcast sun elf would be pretty cool. I always loved seeing more variety of elves in Andunor.
I've seen plenty of people think that making their elf dress in 63 black, taking shadow dancer levels, and hanging out in Anundor would be pretty cool. IC my characters always call them ridiculous. And when they inevitably do get caught and killed, tortured, or enslaved, I don't give them any sympathy. Any elf that goes into Anundor alone should have their Intelligence score reduced to 4 and all their skill points removed, Outcast or not. We don't let good Drow hang out in Cordor. Not sure why people think Drow would tolerate a Sun elf, the race that tried to genocide them and drove them underground, living among them, evil or not.

Edit: Not trying to derail the thread talking about elves in Anundor. But this example is one of many reasons I think Shadowdancer should be locked behind a token, because it does lead to some pretty fail RP when people realize HiPS lets them go anywhere they want with no consequence unless they run into one of three characters on the server who happens to be a dedicated spotter.

Edit from Atropos: please do not use the R-word as a slur. It is extremely hurtful to people with intellectual or developmental disabilities, and there are many of us here.

Thank you.
Francis Bacon

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:58 am

Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:36 am
snip
Andunor isn't a drow city. They're actually quite a minority. Going deeper than that, it's only really Lolthites that harbor any real hatred for other elves. Most other faiths are indifferent. Vhaeraun is a huge ally to all elves and has traditionally been the 2nd most popular deity of choice. Pretty much every other race has no reason to care whatsoever. Elf, human, trog, what is it to an orc? Just another denizen.

Outcasts are cool. But this isn't the thread for outcast posting.

Not just Andunor specifically, I've seen it happen everywhere on the server, HiPS memeing with its extreme survivability. Hopefully, there'll be a little less of that going forward.

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:09 pm

Aniel wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:58 am
Andunor isn't a drow city.
Oh right I forgot that Anundor is just Cave-flavored Sencliff. My bad.
Aniel wrote:
Not just Andunor specifically, I've seen it happen everywhere on the server, HiPS memeing with its extreme survivability. Hopefully, there'll be a little less of that going forward.
Hopefully. I feel like 30 seconds is still too short compared to the 4 minute G-Sanc countdown. But we'll see.
Francis Bacon

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 pm

Aniel wrote:
Elf, human, trog, what is it to an orc? Just another denizen.
Elves and orcs do not really have a much better relationships than elves and drow. Gruumsh is a sworn enemy of Corellon and the Seldarine as much as Lolth.

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:21 pm

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:09 pm
snip
If you want to play in Menzoberranzan or another drow dominate city, there are other servers that accommodate that. Andunor is a trade city most comparable to Skullport.
Itikar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 pm
snip
Drow are elves. And most elves who end up in Andunor also tend to be sworn enemies of Corellon and the Seladrine. In specific regards to Gruumsh though, that's a fair point.

This thread should get back onto HiPS though!

Chosen Son

Post by Chosen Son » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:06 pm

HIPS for casters is arguable better then a sanctuary. You dont lose your Dracolich when entering steath, allowing you to reposition before casting something else, while they decide if they deal with the dracolich, or try and spot you, eating a round of attacks while they wait for true sight to fire. And in pve HIPS and blackblade makes clearing hard dungeons a cakewalk.

satan

Post by satan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:00 pm

At the very least, since this changes a lot about how SD tactics can work, Sd toons should get the opertunity to relevel.
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE