Can we have heal back?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Dorkas

Can we have heal back?

Post by Dorkas » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:31 pm

I can understand the reason why this was changed, but high ac/cheese builds can still out heal damage pretty easily. Instead of this affecting them, it's just causing everyone else to spend even more gold on kits now which is incredibly tedious. Instead of one kit after combat, you have to waste five just to get your insides back in.

This wouldn't bother me if there was some other alternatives to kits, but potions are garbage; if you're a kensai even better. You don't always have a healer/cleric around, nor is it fun to only rely on one during combat.

Astral

Re: Can we have heal back?

Post by Astral » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:05 pm

One of your alternatives is to try and collect magical items with bonus to heal skill and enchant them further. The whole point in this change was to make everyone's gear suboptimal and cheese builds are those who suffer the most from the highest dependence for very specific gear needs.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:48 am

heal is also an economy and quality of life skill.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:56 pm

What happened to heal?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 pm

You just can't enchant it onto items anymore at the enchantment basin or crafting stations. Otherwise, it's unchanged.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Oh, I usually invest points into it and never enchant

Giftstoff

Post by Giftstoff » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:36 pm

You can still reach very powerful levels of healing without a single item. +56 (20+33+3 kit.) to healing is no joke.

The only difference is it used to be +78 if you got all your items enchanted. The difference is only 35% or so nerf.

You could epic skill focus into it too for 66 with no items, more for wisdom based classes.

Does gift of healing still exist or am I thinking of something else. Either way, it was a good change all around. Healers and people who sacrifice for healing are now more in demand and the 160 hp gain per round combat cheese healing was reduced by a good margin.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:24 pm

when the removal of heal is actually a shadow buff to cleric

Thake

Post by Thake » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Maladus wrote:Oh, I usually invest points into it and never enchant

U need tumble and UMD. lol #suboptimal

I don't think it's a shadow buff to clerics. It'd be if healing kits and scrolls were hard to come by, but they're not.
Mithreas wrote:PC deaths give my life meaning, people.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Thake wrote:
Maladus wrote:Oh, I usually invest points into it and never enchant

U need tumble and UMD. lol #suboptimal

I don't think it's a shadow buff to clerics. It'd be if healing kits and scrolls were hard to come by, but they're not.
I only take it when I don't need the points elsewhere. Also, power builds aren't the end all.

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:03 pm

susitsu wrote:when the removal of heal is actually a shadow buff to cleric

I agree with this statement. Every nerf/buff is a shadow nerf/buff to something else when you really think about it. Like PDK addition is kind of a buff to bards and to Concentration skill (or rather, a raise in it's importance). I really like the new mindset of the team. Further going towards League of Legends mechanics imo.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:34 pm

^^
The reason I especially percieve it as a shadow buff is due to the implications on PvP. Initially, it was just a conlock and barbarian debuff, making it to where refilling your 600-1200 hp pool on the spot, in the middle of a beat down became a bit more difficult.

But not only that, while it doesn't actually change anything about cleric gameplay, it puts the strongest of healing ability back into their hands, as opposed to mummification being an even match against a cleric in battle.

Although, this is me playing devil's advocate, as I always appreciated heal items far more in early levels.

Perhaps the addition of some super low tier craftables/starter gear that would clearly be a bad idea to try to support yourself on in epics would make some people happy? Although I agree that the real power and relevance of heal shows up in epics, as opposed to early levels where grinding is a breeze.

Astral

Post by Astral » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:27 am

susitsu wrote:Perhaps the addition of some super low tier craftables/starter gear that would clearly be a bad idea to try to support yourself on in epics would make some people happy?
Mundane medic belt fills that.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 am

Is that a thing? I didn't even know about that.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:39 am

susitsu wrote:Is that a thing? I didn't even know about that.
There's also chirurgeon's gloves.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Astral

Post by Astral » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:14 am

susitsu wrote:Is that a thing? I didn't even know about that.
I'm sure there are more I don't know about. I don't get to play as frequently as I'd want, these days. Look into mundane things in random junk shops and player shops (which are often the same thing).