Monk: Eyes

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

sarithia

Re: Monk: Eyes

Post by sarithia » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:29 am

Throwing my probably useless two cents in here.
I know sod all about monk mechanics and I've never played one or even dipped into monk levels. I also happen to roleplay a character that sees red eyes and is immediately cautious and wary about it. Why? Because everything she has come across that has the red glow - or any red glow for that matter - has been of the 'lets kill or maim' variety. It's got sod all to do with mechanics or alignment on my end. In fact, I didn't even realize it was a level 20 thing until this thread; assumed it was a feat or something. As far as my character is concerned; red is bad, blue is good, and purple is the inbetween, the skirters of the allignments. This is all based off roleplay that has occured and has shaped her opinion of it.
I don't personally think the glow should completely be gotten rid of, but my character would trust someone a whole lot more and be considerably less suspicious of the person she's doing swapsies with if they didn't have the obvious red eyes. Again, nothing to do with mechanics, nothing to do with the monk in question being an epic.
Is there, perhaps, no way to have a universal colour instead to manipulate this - as someone mentioned prior in the post - problem with the fact the glow is tied into a feat/fact that it is indeed a twenty year old game? A gold, perhaps, or a silver. You still have a badge of honour that the character has in regard to reaching that over-arcing 'enlightened' phase, and yes, you may still deal with people who go 'ocrap, epic', but you deal less with the concept of allignment guessing.

Greivern Elisbrinn [Active]
Yaen Oakenshade [We'll see]
Anakhsun Emeratu [Shelved]
Jihael [Dead]
Nhil [Inactive]