Arelith Overrides

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

RedGiant

Arelith Overrides

Post by RedGiant » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:18 am

Is it possible to get these files in a way that we don't have to download third-party apps to access?
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Arelith Overrides

Post by MalKalz » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:27 am

How do you open .zip, .rar or .7z?

Or anything compressed?

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:55 am

IIRC, Windows can extract .rar and .zip natively, but not .7z.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:21 am

7z is the most efficient way of compressing files, but it's definitely non-standard and doesn't have a ton of support. RAR isn't much less efficient, and ZIP has by far the most support. Since we're not passing around huge files here, a few percentage points of greater compression isn't going to make any difference at all. Purely from the perspective of ease-of-access for users, I think .zip is the way to go, here.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:23 am

I'll look at creating a zip of the files.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:22 am

This is the reason that the neverwinter vault page, linked to in the Steam item, has always used .zip compression. While some of the files in the Steam Workshop item have been ported to the server's haks in the new NWsync setup, not all of them have, so, if you were wanting to install them without Steam Workshop, that would be the best bet.

The .7z Morderon posted in announcements would probably be fine for someone already using the Arelith_changes.hak from the Vault, I suppose, since it only contains the shader files and not all of the horse cloak and robe things.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:58 am

Thanks for this!

I would recommend we use .zip going forward, if we need to at all. Upon review, these files are kb size. In the era of streaming gigs worth of data on Netflix, I wonder why even bother to compress at all?
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

DM Eyeball

Post by DM Eyeball » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:44 pm

RedGiant wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:58 am
Thanks for this!

I would recommend we use .zip going forward, if we need to at all. Upon review, these files are kb size. In the era of streaming gigs worth of data on Netflix, I wonder why even bother to compress at all?
Because transmitting a single file is almost always safer than transferring a (potentially enormous) number of single files. Also, almost all compression algorithms/methods include some tool to check the integrity of the compressed file, which makes it fairly corruption proof. I could also go into checksums, but that's a bit beyond the point here :-)