Corpses

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

kiljaedon

Corpses

Post by kiljaedon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:57 am

I know that the corpse system is used to great effect with dealing with roleplaying scenarios with reviving and possible dissection of unique and rare creatures. It has good points but it also suffers from a few negatives that I wish could be addressed. Mainly dealing with how the corpse is dealt with in the world. When or if you are defeated in a battle it is normal for certain people of faiths of ambitions to take the corpse as a trophy in the form of the skull etc and that is fine but there is a point this goes from being a tool of RP enhancement to trolling and spawning memes. There are easy to create methods to duplicate bodies and when you have seen over 10 copies of your body laying around just because you are a 5% race it goes from being a fun mechanic to becoming tedious. It also has created extra work for DMS having to go around dealing with the extra copies.

Can we not create some form of decay for these bodies or skulls that fade after maybe a real-life week to remedy these issues? When you saw your body dropped and picked up again weeks after that incident it feels demeaning and embarrassing thinking that people might be doing stupid roleplaying rituals and or (weird kinky crap) with your bodies. I believe a system of bodies and skulls decaying after an in-game month or two (especially when you are still alive and all the easy ways to duplicate the bodies) in the corpse system would help these woes. Also as other people have suggested somehow prevent people from reviving the corpse. Waiting for the 3 minutes and someone reviving you for malicious reasons and awkward situations is another problem.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Corpses

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:51 am

I like a lot of your points, but there's one I really need to bring up. And personaly I think a decay timer on bodies/skulls is an amazing idea. Truthfully if you've not been reised within a RL day, chances are you arn't going to be raised period. Heck, I would kinda like it if the 'skull' was replaced with 'finger' or something, as it always seems increadibly immersion breaking for me that people walk around with the severed heads of people who're still around.
But one point I should adress:
Waiting for the 3 minutes and someone reviving you for malicious reasons and awkward situations is another problem.
This sounds like someone is breaching the 24 hour pvp rule. If someone kills you and they/their group wants to continue rp with you, then they need to ask your permission first. If they are raising you without your permission then you need to report that.

I suppose there's a grey area where a third party (not your killers, not your friends but evil people uninvolved who want to make you suffer). But in that case I'd still strongly advise people to ask permission before raising. Though this situation seems very rare to me.

That said, to be honest I'd -ALWAYS- ask permission before raising someone. It's just good form. I think it'd be nice though if, like the -yoink script, there was an option to press yes/no in the fugue. But that's just my opinion.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:03 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:51 am

That said, to be honest I'd -ALWAYS- ask permission before raising someone. It's just good form. I think it'd be nice though if, like the -yoink script, there was an option to press yes/no in the fugue. But that's just my opinion.
I feel like this would be a superb addition to the server.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:55 pm

Come to think of it, in DnD some edition, when you sre trying to raise someone, they get to know the resurrecters and their alignment, and can refuse to be raised. Just to continue that train of thought.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:03 pm
DM GrumpyCat wrote:

I agreed with this when I started to reply, but then I started making a comment how if I'm dead and awaiting a raise for a long period, I'm probably afk, or not paying attention. If I've been waiting that long for a raise, that means I could be waiting that long or longer for another raise if I miss the confirmation window. It would be infuriating to come back from getting a drink, or look back to NWN from YouTube, just to see someone had tried to raise me and I was afk.

Maybe a confirmation window that assumes yes unless chosen otherwise? Then if you're afk or something, instead of missing the opportunity, you're brought back, but if you specifically don't want a raise, you can choose no.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Subutai wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:51 pm
Durvayas wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:03 pm
DM GrumpyCat wrote:

I agreed with this when I started to reply, but then I started making a comment how if I'm dead and awaiting a raise for a long period, I'm probably afk, or not paying attention. If I've been waiting that long for a raise, that means I could be waiting that long or longer for another raise if I miss the confirmation window. It would be infuriating to come back from getting a drink, or look back to NWN from YouTube, just to see someone had tried to raise me and I was afk.

Maybe a confirmation window that assumes yes unless chosen otherwise? Then if you're afk or something, instead of missing the opportunity, you're brought back, but if you specifically don't want a raise, you can choose no.
I'd rather it be the opposite. When I die I often go afk to wait out the timer, I wouldn't want that AFK period to be taken as consent to be raised without my knowledge.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:10 pm

I actually agree I'd rather a 'no' maybe A confirmation window saying 'do you want to be raised?' and if you don't pick within, say, three min the window vanishes but the scroll or whatever isn't used.
If people are worried about missing that window, or causing a problem, the answer is again to simply send a quick message saying 'haya, are you ok to be raised?' to check someone isn't afk.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Huschpfusch

Post by Huschpfusch » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:57 pm

"Heck, I would kinda like it if the 'skull' was replaced with 'finger' or something, as it always seems increadibly immersion breaking for me that people walk around with the severed heads of people who're still around."

I'd prefer if dropcorpses were replaced with lump of ectoplasmic goo entirely, claiming that due to Arelith's peculiar geographic location and nature characters are sucked into fugue plane soul and body and all while leaving behind just a tiny lump of lifeenergy at their scene of death. Would explain why victorious person cannot loot inventory, while trophy keepers & doctors in training could still rp the ectogoo to resemble whatever form they'd like, while respawning character can rp whatever they like and there are not possibly >10 characters running around claiming to have all cut off a REAL finger... or head.

OR

we start claiming that there's a troll up every character's family tree.
That'd be awesome too
"Oh look, an unidentified magical wand - let`s just see what it does by randomly using it in battle!"

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:59 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:10 pm
I actually agree I'd rather a 'no' maybe A confirmation window saying 'do you want to be raised?' and if you don't pick within, say, three min the window vanishes but the scroll or whatever isn't used.
If people are worried about missing that window, or causing a problem, the answer is again to simply send a quick message saying 'haya, are you ok to be raised?' to check someone isn't afk.
The res falls under the 24 hour pvp rule right? As in, they kill you they can't res you?

Otherwise this should almost be a universal rule. Res requires a confirmed tell before you do it. Sitting around and waiting to get res'ed and then getting it done without some communication means the person coming back won't be ready to rp the situation at all.

I think the more useful thing from an rp standpoint regarding the corpses is have them disappear after you take the portal in the fugue

kiljaedon

Post by kiljaedon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:21 pm

That is not often the case. You can res but the corpse remains quite often. An automatic decay of all corpses/heads would make sense if we are keeping the corpse system. And the ease of duplicating the corpse I can see myself killed off and 15 heads spread around from a legendary player and every and their mother meme it.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:59 pm

Archnon wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:59 pm
DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:10 pm
The res falls under the 24 hour pvp rule right? As in, they kill you they can't res you?

Otherwise this should almost be a universal rule. Res requires a confirmed tell before you do it. Sitting around and waiting to get res'ed and then getting it done without some communication means the person coming back won't be ready to rp the situation at all.

I think the more useful thing from an rp standpoint regarding the corpses is have them disappear after you take the portal in the fugue
The exact rule is that after you kill a character, you cannot rp with them for 24 hours.
So unless that rule is wavered (which requires tells) then yes that's correct

But that doesn't cover situations where your friends, or even third parties try to raise peopole. E.g. you are wanding through the Shallow wood, come across a corpse, notice the player is online and go 'haya, best go to a shrine to raise the guy!'

In those cases no ooc permissionis needed by the rules.

That said I would personally recommend always sending a tell to a player you tend to raise for - well for the reasons outlined above.

But that's just advice, not a ruling, or a rule.
This too shall pass.

WJLIII3

Post by WJLIII3 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Kind of a tangential point, but I've been thinking about this for a while, and since we have a corpse system that has binary "corpse intactness" values I feel like it'd be pretty thematic to allow Ressurection to work on remains, where Raise only works on the intact corpse.