Lvl 30.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Reallylongunneededplayername

Lvl 30.

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:29 pm

First of all, This is my opinion on the matter and a bit of ranting but it is totally a feedback.

Being level 30 is hell.

Okay, so I play on Arelith for 10+ years, And only since this year I managed to get to level 30.

But since I am, I'm in a slum. I know I could farm coin and get better gear but that sounds to much like work over playing a game.
(Also I made a roleplay character that basicly is crap at combat and better gear won't change a thing :P )

Also I feel like a Grix the Blue* on this matter, My character went for a goal but at the end of the journey the goal is still far away.

There is one thing in this hell that is just needless torture: "You deserved a little roleplay bonus" I don't get any, I'm full, Thank you sir.

Do you know this feeling? Any tips?

How do you experience life as a lvl30?

#firstworldproblems.

*Grix was a character that RPed being a blue dragon but his build never got him to dragonshape. (Atleast that is how I recalled it:P)
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Xarge VI

Re: Lvl 30.

Post by Xarge VI » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:59 pm

Sometimes I also suffer from slump when reaching level 30. However what gets me past the slump is the fact that the finer aspects of a build only matter in PvP and PvE. Majority of the time it makes little difference if you are a level 25 wizard or level 30 wizard. What matters is the roleplay around the class, spell foci, stats etc.

Wizard is an easy example as they have the research roleplay. At 30 they don't brush off their hands and say "Now I'm the perfect wizard." Research rp takes precedence over adventuring in most cases.

What I mean to say I suppose is that the character level doesn't really matter all that much.

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:02 pm

Generally speaking, lvl 30 will only effect my character if it is a key point in their class (feats, skills) which will translate into their rp. Otherwise, the character has goals outside of lvling to 30. If those goals happen to be resolved by the time they get to 30 then its time for me to wrap them up. If those goals are not complete, then I just carry on with the story.

If you are struggling, you might want to do progression notes on the character's goal (a character's IG goal and your OOC goal for the message of the story can be different so notes can get complicated). I find that if I am stuck its because I am uncertain how to get to the goal so I write out a few smaller plots possibilities that can help the character along. You want the character to be some famous leader of X settlement? Maybe they are too shy to start (you are looking for a long development arch perhaps). Then try starting a new faction, joining a new faction and being ambitious. Maybe its too soon for any of that and you find someone really charismatic IG and your character attaches to them and learns the ways of being a cool guy.

This is just a silly example but use what the game and other characters give you. Everyone is telling their story so you can always find a plot to lean onto to help you along.

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Braid

Post by Braid » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:23 pm

If you have a group/faction, look to help members grow. Politics and commerce is one way to keep the RP going or start a group. You could also use your excess money to fund projects by other players.

You could look into your toon writing a book ALA Bilbo Baggins, write a play, or chronicle Arelith history.

If you have specific class RP, you could produce and write plays for the Nomad theater, research complicated or ancient magic, invent something, espionage, assassinations, defeat a greater evil, become a greater evil, and much more.

These kind of things should be thought of and mobilized while getting to 30. If not, dig around, talk to poeple and see where you toon's skillset and personality might fit in.

...or you could just roll your toon.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Well I do think we just need a lot more epic level content, and one can keep developing dart and bartender skills! (More learn-by-doing skills likely in future)

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:03 pm

What I don't like about level 30 is the de facto expectation that your character is supposed to role once you've attained it.

-stick-
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by -stick- » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:30 pm

If you stand doing nothing for more than ten minutes switch to an alt ;)

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:03 pm
What I don't like about level 30 is the de facto expectation that your character is supposed to role once you've attained it.
I agree, and with speedy levelling it can feel like one is just getting started.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:40 am

Look outward.

There's a good selection of epic dungeons now, but there are also loads of non combat places to explore. I've been here over a decade and I'm sure I've seen less than half of the total areas.

Now that you're done building your character, you can focus on others. Build a group and get them leveled and geared for 30, then start going on group adventures.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:13 pm

Myself, I'm leveling at a snails pace. Doing the RP on the way to 30 means I'll know a few people when I'm maxed out. Not in any hurry either.

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:47 pm

Scylon wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:13 pm
Myself, I'm leveling at a snails pace. Doing the RP on the way to 30 means I'll know a few people when I'm maxed out. Not in any hurry either.
I started playing when EE came out (last March?).

My character is level 25.

I don't understand how people level quickly. True I have taken multiple longish breaks during that time period, but it sounds like some people can level from 1-30 in under a month. Such a thing seems impossible to me.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:55 pm

For me it varies depending on the time I have available and friends. If I have a week off and a couple of people with as much time as I do we can push to epic by playing 10+ hours a day, but if I'm working and don't have as much time to play it can take me in excess of a month to push to epic.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 pm

R0GUE wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:47 pm
Scylon wrote:

I don't understand how people level quickly. True I have taken multiple longish breaks during that time period, but it sounds like some people can level from 1-30 in under a month. Such a thing seems impossible to me.
Same
Some people have just about mastered the mechanics of the game and are able to just belt out 30s like it's nothing! I will never be able to do that. Too much math and too fast math for my brain! I've got no wrist-eye-brain-math coordination to keep up. Straight up grinding melts my brain, and I don't like it. I love writs for that reason, but as I get higher leveled on a character I start to feel the burn out.

I enjoy low leveled gameplay. This is why I like Skal! Lots of low levels in a concentrated area. Not a lot of 30s throwing their mechanical weight around at the drop of a hat. I think it's fun. I do like having the wider spread of abilities that comes with levels, though.

Aso someone that usually gets a character tof mid levels before I fizzle out, I like higher level characters to do things that enable people of all levels to have a part to play. More than just being the heal kit/loot monkey. And not berating people if they aren't as mechanically savvy as you! I don't care if you're just here to grind away, some people will never get to 30 and will never be as good at the game itself as you are. Accept that and think creatively of how to engage others with RP that isn't locked behind having the maximum optimal builds.

There's a gatekeeping mentality behind building characters that I am not a fan of. I understand wanting to have an optimally statted out character, dying is not fun and getting experience hits the right reward systems in the brain that keeps all of us playing. I am excited for haks that will expand upon the core mechanics that can open up the game for play for all levels away from the typical grind till your eyes bleed. Writs are one of these things, although more so lessens the problem I am attempting to describe than revolutionizing it completely.

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:53 am

R0GUE wrote:
Scylon wrote:

I play about 10 h a day. Still, It took me.. 4 months to lvl to 30. Other folk grind. Grinding takes about 1-2 weeks to get to 30. (Do not quote me on that)
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Adam Antium

Post by Adam Antium » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:47 am

Anime Sword Fighter wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 pm
R0GUE wrote:
Scylon wrote:

Same
Some people have just about mastered the mechanics of the game and are able to just belt out 30s like it's nothing! I will never be able to do that. Too much math and too fast math for my brain! I've got no wrist-eye-brain-math coordination to keep up. Straight up grinding melts my brain, and I don't like it. I love writs for that reason, but as I get higher leveled on a character I start to feel the burn out.

I enjoy low leveled gameplay. This is why I like Skal! Lots of low levels in a concentrated area. Not a lot of 30s throwing their mechanical weight around at the drop of a hat. I think it's fun. I do like having the wider spread of abilities that comes with levels, though.

Aso someone that usually gets a character tof mid levels before I fizzle out, I like higher level characters to do things that enable people of all levels to have a part to play. More than just being the heal kit/loot monkey. And not berating people if they aren't as mechanically savvy as you! I don't care if you're just here to grind away, some people will never get to 30 and will never be as good at the game itself as you are. Accept that and think creatively of how to engage others with RP that isn't locked behind having the maximum optimal builds.

There's a gatekeeping mentality behind building characters that I am not a fan of. I understand wanting to have an optimally statted out character, dying is not fun and getting experience hits the right reward systems in the brain that keeps all of us playing. I am excited for haks that will expand upon the core mechanics that can open up the game for play for all levels away from the typical grind till your eyes bleed. Writs are one of these things, although more so lessens the problem I am attempting to describe than revolutionizing it completely.
Part of this entire post is fine, but part worries me.

There exists no RPG or indeed, arguably, any game, where more knowledge of mechanics and grinding does not equal superior power. I don't think this is a bad thing, or something people should relegate themselves to never achieving. Grinding all the time isn't fun for hardly anybody, but if you have trouble with grinding, or if you don't know how to make an optimal build, there are plenty of people (like myself) who would be happy to help, because half the fun of D&D for me and others like me has been building character sheets. It's just fun to see what you can come up with. So, ask, and ye shall receive, if you think you don't know how to build. I'd be happy to help anybody with building.

And, unfortunately, you shouldn't expect to be as relevant in certain situations if you never get your character past mid-levels. If you never get into the 20's, let alone to 30, it's not really a fair expectation that you have an equal shot of being the top knight in the kingdom compared to a level 30 who has also done plenty of RP towards that goal, and has actually attained the prowess and power to get the title of "top duder." Power and pvp are, in fact, meant to be roleplayed out. That's part of the reason I would be happy to help people learn to build, or even just take your idea for what you're looking for and give you a build. Building itself is fun for me, but if you don't like it/aren't good at it, and just give that up, and give up leveling, your character will be barred from certain things.

TL;DR - Nobody will call a level 15 wizard/rogue an archmage of enchantment when there's a handful of epic-leveled wizards with ESF: Enchantment waiting in the wings. Mechanics and levels matter (sometimes).

But yes, you are also right that if a level 30 is just gatekeeping and not stoking fun rp for people, not even fun villain rp, then that's a poopy experience. It happens, but there are IC ways of dealing with that, as well, that I'd like to encourage, such as getting the support of other epic level characters, or getting a group of others regardless of level to go intimidate/persuade/beat up that level 30 gatekeeper, etc. etc. etc., all of which lead to further storytelling. Overthrow the bolsheviks! Be the proletariat uprising you want to see in the world! VIVA LA REVOLUCION! :) There are instances of characters who weren't even 20 getting into high positions in settlements like Brogendenstein because they simply were needed and filled a role. The old High Sonnlinor was made such when he was still in his teens, I think, last fall. It depends on your RP to a certain extent. If someone is gatekeeping because of mechanical prowess regardless of anything else, maybe it's time to either

- gain that power,
- find a new place/player to play with,
- find a creative way to mess them up.

My suggestions regarding avoiding burnout on the quest to 30, is to not rush it, do writs as often as possible rather than just grinding an area's mobs (until you get to 21, at which point no more writs), but you don't have to do writs and grinding every day. Being online and roleplaying and crafting and exploring and having fun also gets you some exp from RPR and adventuring exp as well. Don't rush yourself, but if you want to be that top guy who gets the princess and slays the monster, it will require some grind, and others are likely happy to grind with you to make it easier/more fun, and many many others are willing to help you with building if that's where you need assistance.

I hope you have fun either way, even if you disagree, and good luck.