Belated Update thoughts: an essay

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

NauVaseline

Re: Belated Update thoughts: an essay

Post by NauVaseline » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:02 pm

I'm getting pretty Snuggle a Bugbear sick of the management here dismissing players feedback that go against their pre-established convictions. Arelith was successful when this wasn't SOP. You were supposed to be smelt, not felt. I get enough of this shit in my own country I would love it if my escapism wasn't infected by it as well.

EDIT: Y'all are conflating "entitlement" with "experience". The confidence of their statements come from quite a few hours put into a hobby... if NWN were a union job they'd have logged thousands of hours perfecting their craft. They're not Journeyman, They're not Apprentices, They're master's of their hobby.
Why you've consistenly, completely disregarded Sszaren's, Ork's, Peppermint's, Cortex's, and other longtimer's I can't conjure to working memory rn's experience is Snuggle a Bugbear mind-boggling, and mindbogglingly self-destructive.

Aren

Post by Aren » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:15 pm

NauVaseline wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:02 pm
I'm getting pretty Snuggle a Bugbear sick of the management here dismissing players feedback that go against their pre-established convictions. Arelith was successful when this wasn't SOP. You were supposed to be smelt, not felt. I get enough of this shit in my own country I would love it if my escapism wasn't infected by it as well.

EDIT: Y'all are conflating "entitlement" with "experience". The confidence of their statements come from quite a few hours put into a hobby... if NWN were a union job they'd have logged thousands of hours perfecting their craft. They're not Journeyman, They're not Apprentices, They're master's of their hobby.
Why you've consistenly, completely disregarded Sszaren's, Ork's, Peppermint's, Cortex's, and other longtimer's I can't conjure to working memory rn's experience is Snuggle a Bugbear mind-boggling, and mindbogglingly self-destructive.
While I do appreciate you including me in this post, I do not consider myself one worthy of being grouped withe the other players you mention. They have significantly longer experience with this game than I. I do however know sound arguments when I read them - thus my agreement to their general feedback.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:19 pm

Szaren wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:15 pm
I do however know sound arguments when I read them
You're worthy

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Szaren wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:09 pm
DM Titania wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:47 pm
Szaren wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:25 pm

No. What is does, is make all the players who have invested countless of hours/days/years into the game, players who have intricate mechanical knowledge about Arelith - able to to examine the changes ahead of launch, provide constructive feedback as to what could potentially break the game, the balance of classes or otherwise.

Frankly, the way you attribute other players engagement and involvement into the future direction of the Arelith, as whining entitled children, is a bit insulting. You seem to assume the worst in these people, instead of listening to the players who have been here for more than a decade. They have been here for a reason. They like Arelith. They want it to persist. They want to help.
It really comes down to how you say it. I.E, in my opinion, the response here comes off entitled, even if that is not the intention. Requesting transparency is not entitlement, there is merit to the suggestion after all and having transparency in certain situations, even if it is not a policy I believe Arelith should cater to 100% of the time.

The part about invested countless hours/days/years, intricate knowledge, give it the entitled rings, and can ring as "I have done all of this, and so I deserve to be listened to." Thus phrasing is so very important. It can be the difference between your words getting across and failing to deliver their message.
I cannot help how you choose to read my post, Titania. All I can do is elaborate my point, so that you'll understand the intention. The part about invested hours/days/years was meant to further cement the fact, that there are people out there with significant game knowledge - whose feedback I believe would be clever to listen to. And that has nothing to do with entitlement. Organisational psychology has taught us, that a good manager would always welcome the advise or feedback of people who have intricate knowledge about the subject matter, to help him/her make an educated decision.

And seeing as people have a tendency to read intentions into my post, I'll make sure to assert the fact that >I am not saying Irongron cannot make educated decisions about Arelith, or that he should cater to the vocal segment whenever they make an uproar.< - I am saying that he shouldn't dismiss it lightly when the veterans cries: "Halt. This is a very bad idea. And here's why:"
I think you might be asserting into others more than they are asserting on to yours.

Titania was just pointing out how everyone's post, yours and mine, can come across differently depending how we read it. You read ALOT of intentions into my post. And I think you might be reading into the intentions of Titania that may or may not be there as well.

I have already admitted my tone was not the best of behavior, but I intend to assume the best of people, I think everyone wants the server to be great.

What a lot of been requesting has been at large a filter/regulation vs an aid. I genuinely believe that if mechanically savvy people got more on to development rather than just saying no and found/developed alternatives/ways for the lead team to achieve their goals, it would make the server a much better place.

I got triggered and got a little ranty this morning. As I already said, my bad. But i am not insulting or reading into anyones intentions (and i try yo tske a step back when I do) I try to assume the least possible.