Radiant Heart Ring is Ridiculously Powerful

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Apokriphos

Radiant Heart Ring is Ridiculously Powerful

Post by Apokriphos » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:33 pm

To quote a certain player in discord:

the Radiant Heart Member Ring is:
+4 Discipline
AND FOUR OF:
26 Spell Resistance
+1 any Stat
+2 universal saves
+4 spot/listen
+4 hide/ms
+4 Concentration/SC

Usable by LG/NG and Paladin/CoT/PK/Cleric

I believe this rings' abilities need adjustment or at least a proper trade off, only benefiting one specific build and not all builds that dip Paladin for it's incredibly powerful abilities.

the grim yeeter

Re: Radiant Heart Ring is Ridiculously Powerful

Post by the grim yeeter » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Hard agree. This ring is stupidly strong and needs a big nerf.
Sockss wrote: There is an overriding premise that all changes should be appreciated and welcomed because someone has taken time out for free to make them. [...] I don't believe volunteering should put your work above criticism [...] .

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:35 pm

I disagree, I think we all should have acces to such a thing by joining an faction.
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:13 pm

Reallylongunneededplayername wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:35 pm
I disagree, I think we all should have acces to such a thing by joining an faction.
Sure thing.

What can my neutral character get then?

Berried

Post by Berried » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:19 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:13 pm
Sure thing.

The beast belt? Right? I can't actually remember the stats on the belt, so I apologize if it's dramatically less powerful than RH rings, but as far as I know it's a powerful item that paladins thematically can't access.

I like paladins, I like the radiant heart, I like the ring.

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:22 pm

When you say you can take four of the following (6) properties. Do you mean you can take +1 stat multipul tims to different stats and, say, +2 universal as the fourth?
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

LIonGraphiK

Post by LIonGraphiK » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:44 pm

Is there any way to make it so that the ring has to be earned over a long period of time? Nobody just automatically becomes a knight.
by Irongron » 08 Dec 2018 20:41
I do not mind people easily being able to escape PvP situations where they are clearly outmatched.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:06 am

It does have to be earned. You have to do RH writs which can only be done once a day.

And yes, its strong, but so is the beast belt which is the evil equivalent. I would be all for more factions getting something similar rather than nerfing the ring. And that is coming from someone who almost exclusively plays evil characters.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:19 am

Berried wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:19 pm
Tarkus the dog wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:13 pm
Sure thing.

The beast belt? Right? I can't actually remember the stats on the belt, so I apologize if it's dramatically less powerful than RH rings, but as far as I know it's a powerful item that paladins thematically can't access.

I like paladins, I like the radiant heart, I like the ring.
Beast belt is pretty strong but what if my character doesn't entertain the thought of fighting in the cage fights?

My point is: Andunor gets the beast belt
Good guys get the ring
Everyone in between gets: ???

Nothing. Should've picked a different alignment/class, I suppose.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:44 am

If you go neutral you can be a pirate I think. Work your way up the ranks and get access to some neat stuff. Though no direct item boosters (as far as I am awear)
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:55 am

is it really that big of a problem that someone else gets a cookie? (genuine question, not rhetorical)
i mean, that ring seems strong, but not "holy crap i gotta roll up a paladin right now and get one" strong.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:18 am

Halibutthead wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:55 am
is it really that big of a problem that someone else gets a cookie? (genuine question, not rhetorical)
i mean, that ring seems strong, but not "holy crap i gotta roll up a paladin right now and get one" strong.
It's extremely strong but every major faction should have access to rings like these in my opinion.
The way you can customize, have a tag and a feel of progression is super fun.

The belt from the beast is useless on my evil character btw.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:23 am

I would also like to add that I played a looong time ago in the server wheel of time and your gear would grow stronger according to your rank. While that design is flawed do to people becoming cliques and never rolling character, the way the ring was made fits perfectly as a design in the server, making it very exciting to progress while avoiding stalemate within the server.

Having both a paladin and an evil character it's my personal opinion that everyone should have a way to progress in rings exactly like the paladins in the radiant heart. Perhaps changing the writ into more quest-like and maybe more epic and tough.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:53 am

I'm not sure what to think about special rewards on mechanical paths for built-in (not player maintained or created) factions. On the one hand it is very cool and gives you more to do beyond the writ system and crafting grind if things are slow story-wise.

But I think there is a danger of corralling people into playing a certain way based on preconceived ideas from the devs and making original or different concepts much less appealing. We're not there yet by any means but I could see that happening if a lot more faction based quest paths leading to special rewards were offered.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:28 am

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:44 am
If you go neutral you can be a pirate I think. Work your way up the ranks and get access to some neat stuff. Though no direct item boosters (as far as I am awear)
Honestly there should be an item like this for pirates. Especially given the tattoo system which acts as an auto reveal.

Further. I'm sure this is foig but I have been told there is a real potential cost to earning the beasts belt creating a limit on how man there are on the server. I don't think that is true of the ring.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:33 am

personally i think it'd be pretty neat if more factions got these cool faction-based items

pirates could get a ring (someone mentioned cloak in another thread, very cool too), assassins guild, harpers, arcane tower, druid grove, soulhaven monastery, sibayad could all have unique faction based items and quests. i'm sure there are more though. im not 100 percent sure how the RH ring works since i've never got it though. to prevent the skyrim-problem where you can join literally everything in the game and become the ruler of it, maybe all the special faction items should be a ring so at max you could wear two of them if somehow you ended up joining multiple of them.

for the RH ring can you pick 3 +1 stats and a fourth thing from that list? like I said I've never done it so idk how it works. it looks like a pretty powerful item

satan

Post by satan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:00 am

So..do you risk character deletion to get the ring? If not you can't really compare it to the belt.

Also pretty sure good aligned slaves can get the belt
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Echohawk » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:23 am

Anime Sword Fighter wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:33 am
soulhaven monastery
About that.

Yes I see the people who are enjoying the ring are going to support it as is, and everyone that doesn't thinks it should be lowered in power. More faction based items could be potentially interesting as this seems to be a new trend, even if it's not specifically a piece of equipment.

The belt itself is not technically alignment or faction based but due to the fights, more build based. Although the Radiant doesn't like people that have the belt already for a pretty straightforward reason. Which I agree is a fair limiter.

I will not deny that the original post does put it very well into perspective, very powerful.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:32 am

How dare someone get something cool. I want something cool!

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:40 am

I'm with the group that isn't bothered. I don't feel like this is a competition or even a competitive game, and thus I'm not bothered. Let people enjoy their rewards.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:42 am

i think the ring's a little wild
Intelligence is too important

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:28 am

It's overpowered, and significantly moreso than the Belt of Champions. The problem is compounded by the fact that bestows an advantage on a good-aligned faction and that the characters who get access to it are already running some of the strongest melee builds possible on this server (Paladin with Holy Sword, Bardadin, CoT, Cleric, and PDK).

personally i think it'd be pretty neat if more factions got these cool faction-based items
I agree, but the ring is still overtuned.

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:52 am

"+4 hide/ms"

This doesn't even fit the thematic of the ideology!

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:21 am

Anime Sword Fighter wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:33 am
pirates could get a ring (someone mentioned cloak in another thread, very cool too), assassins guild, harpers, arcane tower, druid grove, soulhaven monastery, sibayad could all have unique faction based items and quests.
I second this.

The concept is fun and the item is strong so people will go out of their ways to make it. For me it's a question of either the world builders want to extend this to other factions or keep it unique to the RH.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:55 am

The 26 SR needs to be removed. Extending something like that to other factions is not an acceptable solution, because then too many characters will have spell resistance, which will cause innumerable issues.