Should we:

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Reallylongunneededplayername

Should we:

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:17 pm

Shift all basic armor a +1?

Like iron 1, Steel 2, Mithril 3, Ada 4?

Why would I think that?

Mithril+ armors (Templar, Guard, Etc) seem to me like basic Adamantine half plates + extra. while they (mostly due Ada being hard to get) Easier to make.

Does that make sense?

I need feed back on my thoughts. :)
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Should we:

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:10 pm

My dream is that each armor type gets special effects. For example Mithril gives weight reduction, Greensteel gives arcane spell failure reduction, steel gives damage reduction, Iron gives big bonuses vs Fey.

Then make each one have a +1, +2, and +3 AC version. (ie: Mithril Platemail. Fine Mithril Platemail. Masterwork Mithril Platemail.)

And then I would love to see similar happen with weapons. That is my dream system. So Paladin A wants Steel armor, while Paladin-Bard guy wants Greensteel, etc.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 pm

I agree with theCountofMonteCristo
Increasing the number of equally viable endgame options would be preferable to mere AC power creep.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:03 pm

Armor really doesn't need to give any additional AC - AC is already very easy to stack to the point where 2-3 attacks per round will be mostly likely to miss you (and for some builds, to nigh-untouchable levels.) Any additional sources of AB will just make PvP into even more of a wet-noodle waving contest than it already is when dealing with certain builds.
what would fred rogers do?

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:11 am

I'd much rather see armor and max dex bonus scale linearly so they always add up to 9.

Currently, padded armor: 1 ac 8 dex
Full plate: 8 ac 1 dex

But, everything in between is all wonky. A lot more people would use things like half plate or scale armor if they scaled properly. For example:

Current Half plate: 7 ac 1 dex (only reason to ever use this is templar armor)
How it should be: 7 ac 2 dex

Current scale: 6 ac 1 dex (clearly just a terrible choice to use for any reason)
How it should be: 6 ac 3 dex

Additionally, ASF and skill penalties should scale linearly from padded to full plate to reflect this.

This would require re-balancing a few items (ranger leathers, paladin chainmail stand out to me), but overall would massively increase the available options for endgame armor.

EDIT: I also like countofmontecristo's idea, but ideally we would have both which would give everyone tons of options for armor.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:43 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:11 am
I'd much rather see armor and max dex bonus scale linearly so they always add up to 9.

Currently, padded armor: 1 ac 8 dex
Full plate: 8 ac 1 dex

But, everything in between is all wonky. A lot more people would use things like half plate or scale armor if they scaled properly. For example:

Current Half plate: 7 ac 1 dex (only reason to ever use this is templar armor)
How it should be: 7 ac 2 dex

Current scale: 6 ac 1 dex (clearly just a terrible choice to use for any reason)
How it should be: 6 ac 3 dex

Additionally, ASF and skill penalties should scale linearly from padded to full plate to reflect this.

This would require re-balancing a few items (ranger leathers, paladin chainmail stand out to me), but overall would massively increase the available options for endgame armor.

EDIT: I also like countofmontecristo's idea, but ideally we would have both which would give everyone tons of options for armor.
Doesn't it kind of make sense for builds to have dif AC based on gear and not just equalize it whether str or dex build? I wouldn't want to just create a path to the same endpoint for everyone regardless of gear/build.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:05 pm

That's a good point. Maybe not perfectly linearly, but if like to see adjustments to make the armords in between chain and full plate useful
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted