"Official Arelith Discord Server"

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

PeterRasta
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: "Official Arelith Discord Server"

Post by PeterRasta » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Kenji wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:00 pm
Regarding #build-guides channel under the -Player Resources- section of the Discord server:

People discussing details or commenting on the builds in that specific channel should be moved to #character-build-advice. Messages will eventually flood the channel and make finding build-related guides difficult.

I would like to suggest locking the #build-guides channel to read-only and have whoever like to post guides in the #build-guides section ask the staff team for their links to be posted there.
I've been guilty of helping to clutter the channel aswell on occassion, without realising which channel I'm in. I think the build-channel should be locked aswell, so as to keep the clutter to a minimum and provide an ease of access for new and old players alike to the guides/builds themselves.
Current characters: Geralt Duskwood, Oddny Baldrsson Svartr

Retired characters: Jared Oster, Basil Murkfoot, Melnor Tey'lin

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:12 pm

I am quite often asked in PM IG if I am on Discord.

My answer is , that I am not, and I don't have plans to be.

Question: Can I still play Arelith, without being on Discord? Now and in the future?

PS: I spend quite a lot of time, finding out how to make myself able to log in, it is still not working very well. But stil, I like it as it is. And I don't see any reason to use Discord.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:19 pm

I see no reason why Discord will ever be required to play this game. It's a similar tool to the forums for communication. All the important aspects you can accomplish on Discord can/are preferred through the forums (i.e. reporting abuse/rule breach, PrC tokens, etc.)

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:56 pm

Cuchilla wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:12 pm
Question: Can I still play Arelith, without being on Discord? Now and in the future?
Can you live life without a Mobile telephone?

yes, but it's inconvenient

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:34 am

It's inconvenient to live life without a mobile phone.. But you might find your productivity and concentration vastly improve when you turn it off.

I resisted Discord for a long time and while it's useful I still wish sometimes I'd stayed away. A lot of the magic of this game is lost when you get to know the other players more than you know their characters.

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:18 am

it just takes a lil self control

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:08 am

Not sure what you mean by self control.

I am talking about- there are multiple times I've known some amazing character in the game then seen how they act on Discord, maybe they make sexist jokes or post inappropriate memes or maybe they just attack and insult others or whine about little things and the player behavior can't help ruin my impression of the character. I'll still play through it but the magic is gone.

From what I've seen there's a bit too much planning of full stories on Discord that don't allow input for others to be involved including some who might be adversely affected. Like planning a few steps ahead-- "we'll do this and then we'll do this and then we'll do this"-- and not allowing for anyone else or outside events to slow down that train.

That's just two frequent examples but there are more.

Of course it's very useful to corralling people for events and other things. I still use it some but I've tried to cut way back and only use it for private messages or to see what's up if there's a crash or something. I'm not giving it up, it is convenient but things that are convenient aren't often healthy. If someone's impulse is not to use it I think that's probably wise (for them) and they shouldn't.

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:14 am

Wuthering wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:08 am
Not sure what you mean by self control.
Wuthering wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:08 am
A lot of the magic of this game is lost when you get to know the other players more than you know their characters.
Don't do this.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:16 am

Wuthering wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:34 am
A lot of the magic of this game is lost when you get to know the other players more than you know their characters.
For me it's been the opposite. Getting to know some of the people I play with outside of the game has brought me closer to this gaming community itself. Behind every character there is a person from possibly a different culture and there's no big reminder of the "be nice" rule when you're faced with real people and not random characters in a fantasy world.

The planning, the micro and the macro management that you're speaking of is usually from private discord groups and if you wan't to stay away from that, there's always a place for everyone to fit into it. Be in the lore section, the build advice, the tech help or developers corner.

If there's one thing that shows we are a healthy community able to adapt and improve even after a decade playing, it's the use of more dynamic and modern tools to facilitate communication such as discord.

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:57 am

While I remain a non-fan of Discord and have simply come to accept it's here to stay regardless of my own views...

I have to agree that by and large, it's a nicer experience building conflict with people you know, when you don't have to worry about upsetting people and you can discuss an arrange scenes.

Storytelling is a co-op experience and it's easier to Co-op with people you know.

And also recieve compliments. I love compliments.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:24 pm

NauVaseline wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:56 pm
Cuchilla wrote:

I do have a mobile telephone, I love it, and I use it a lot. I couldn't live without.

I also love hiking. When I hike, I hike, I don't check my mobile.

I also like bicycling. When I bike, I bike, I don't check my mobile

I also like playing Arelith. When I play, I play, I ..... (insert answer here)

:D

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:45 pm

Please lock this thread.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:46 pm

Cuchilla wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:24 pm
NauVaseline wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:56 pm
Cuchilla wrote:

I do have a mobile telephone, I love it, and I use it a lot. I couldn't live without.

I also love hiking. When I hike, I hike, I don't check my mobile.

I also like bicycling. When I bike, I bike, I don't check my mobile

I also like playing Arelith. When I play, I play, I ..... (insert answer here)

:D
You can 100% play Arelith without needing Discord. Plenty of people do and they get by just fine.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:21 pm

Yeah I get why people love using it and said it can be a good tool, I just don't like pushing it as near-mandatory.

I think a lot of it comes down to how much you like social media in general. I don't, I hate Facebook and Twitter and (especially because of work) Slack but others really enjoy chatting all day. To each their own. I'd also rather not know other players that well OOC but we're all different.

Anyway I'd never ever suggest Discord be taken away- just hope Cuchilla doesn't feel obligated if her instinct says "I don't want this."

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:39 am

While I have a discord account, I'm barely ever on. I use it maybe exclusively for build advice, but that's about it. Don't expect me to see important updates on there.

The faction I'm currently in we use -factions OOC messages for important stuff, and it's working out just fine. The game already has all the necessities for communication covered, no need to burden myself with something that can and has in the past ruined the immersive fun of Arelith.