Recipes

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Recipes

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:54 pm

JustMonika wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:00 pm
I'm currently trying to furnish one small room.

The mind boggles at the things that I need. Almost every fixture requires other bits from other crafting trees or piles of ingredients I wouldn't even know where to look and arn't sold in shops.

It's terribly offputting. In the good old days, I could rock up to a crafting station, and go 'Right, Wooden thing. Needs wood.' now I'm all...

????

I don't just need a craftsperson, DC, and time, I also need a shopping list of things and no shop to buy them from. Maybe this is intentional to sharply reduce the number of fixtures?
Yep, it's entirely intentional. Or at least some of the types fixtures.
Simplify? Recipes, So it's not an scavenger hunt to make a pokey stick launcher. But make it so the items you do need, Ya' need to earn.
The thing is what you mean by, 'Earn.'

For me 'Earn'. Here I think Mythic means 'earn' as in go to your average epic place with your l33t build, murder everything, grab your stuff, rince and repeat.

To an extent that's fine, but that's not the only way of 'earning' something.

Another good eay to 'Earn' is to talk to other characters, source materials, set up friends with other crafting skills, check player shops, stock unusual items yourself ect. In short, it encourages not just earning thorugh amazing builds, but 'earning' through roleplay, time, efort, and so on. It also attempts to set up a small business for plays stocking lower tier items, so that you don't need to be run-grinding Red Dragon isle to sell things in your shop, but have some form of economy selling more unusual crafting items.
I think that this is just as important, and so I'll always be in favour of having some wierd and unusual items thrown in with the recipes.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:44 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:54 pm
JustMonika wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:00 pm
I'm currently trying to furnish one small room.

The mind boggles at the things that I need. Almost every fixture requires other bits from other crafting trees or piles of ingredients I wouldn't even know where to look and arn't sold in shops.

It's terribly offputting. In the good old days, I could rock up to a crafting station, and go 'Right, Wooden thing. Needs wood.' now I'm all...

????

I don't just need a craftsperson, DC, and time, I also need a shopping list of things and no shop to buy them from. Maybe this is intentional to sharply reduce the number of fixtures?
Yep, it's entirely intentional. Or at least some of the types fixtures.
Simplify? Recipes, So it's not an scavenger hunt to make a pokey stick launcher. But make it so the items you do need, Ya' need to earn.
The thing is what you mean by, 'Earn.'

For me 'Earn'. Here I think Mythic means 'earn' as in go to your average epic place with your l33t build, murder everything, grab your stuff, rince and repeat.

To an extent that's fine, but that's not the only way of 'earning' something.

Another good eay to 'Earn' is to talk to other characters, source materials, set up friends with other crafting skills, check player shops, stock unusual items yourself ect. In short, it encourages not just earning thorugh amazing builds, but 'earning' through roleplay, time, efort, and so on. It also attempts to set up a small business for plays stocking lower tier items, so that you don't need to be run-grinding Red Dragon isle to sell things in your shop, but have some form of economy selling more unusual crafting items.
I think that this is just as important, and so I'll always be in favour of having some wierd and unusual items thrown in with the recipes.
My counterpoint to this is someone from the opposite end, who frequently places non-seldom adventuring characters, and who normally isn't around much. The amount of logistics and people involved in making furniture is comparable to some high end gear, particularly in time spent. Getting other characters to do things is great - Aside from they often want to be paid. Paying multiple other characters for multiple obsecure things to create one fixture is daunting, and fixtures often have extremely short life cycles.

Looking at the system as it stands to put X effort into crafting one easily stolen/bashable object is so daunting as to put one off completely, and the amount of fixtures I've seen in the game world has certainly been dropping recently. I used to be a fairly prolific painter, for example, but now it's almost too daunting to attempt, and mostof the paintings I see are old paintings being juggled, not new ones being made.

If that is the view of the team that there has been an overabudence of fixtures, and you intentionally want to put people off using the system to cut things down, then okay, that makes sense. But it sends a confusing message with the recently raised fixture counts. For example, the Cordor Guard barracks now has a fixture count of 112. Crafting 112 independent fixtures with the new recipies would take a mindblowing amount of hours, not just in spending the crafting points, but sourcing the raw materials alone. Even half that is no less a terrifying number.

It makes a degree of sense to gate my epic masterly damask keen sword behind a barrier. I'm not sure the same logic applies when placed around tables and chairs, do we need add these to the crafting recipies to encourage them to appear in the world? Do we not want beautifully decorated player interiors? And when they are destroyed, as they will be, do we not want people to feel able to replace them, rather than give up and not bother?

Remember, all the time and effort into building fixtures, gathering resources, making contacts, describing and placing them, as to be fitted in around the time you're spending on social RP, adventuring, and making your own actual gear, too.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:47 am

JustMonika wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:44 pm
My counterpoint to this is someone from the opposite end, who frequently places non-seldom adventuring characters, and who normally isn't around much. The amount of logistics and people involved in making furniture is comparable to some high end gear, particularly in time spent. Getting other characters to do things is great - Aside from they often want to be paid. Paying multiple other characters for multiple obsecure things to create one fixture is daunting, and fixtures often have extremely short life cycles.

Looking at the system as it stands to put X effort into crafting one easily stolen/bashable object is so daunting as to put one off completely, and the amount of fixtures I've seen in the game world has certainly been dropping recently. I used to be a fairly prolific painter, for example, but now it's almost too daunting to attempt, and mostof the paintings I see are old paintings being juggled, not new ones being made.

If that is the view of the team that there has been an overabudence of fixtures, and you intentionally want to put people off using the system to cut things down, then okay, that makes sense. But it sends a confusing message with the recently raised fixture counts. For example, the Cordor Guard barracks now has a fixture count of 112. Crafting 112 independent fixtures with the new recipies would take a mindblowing amount of hours, not just in spending the crafting points, but sourcing the raw materials alone. Even half that is no less a terrifying number.

It makes a degree of sense to gate my epic masterly damask keen sword behind a barrier. I'm not sure the same logic applies when placed around tables and chairs, do we need add these to the crafting recipies to encourage them to appear in the world? Do we not want beautifully decorated player interiors? And when they are destroyed, as they will be, do we not want people to feel able to replace them, rather than give up and not bother?

Remember, all the time and effort into building fixtures, gathering resources, making contacts, describing and placing them, as to be fitted in around the time you're spending on social RP, adventuring, and making your own actual gear, too.
I read your post and it seems to me like the general meaning of this is that players who spend time RPing with other characters and collaborating with fellow craftsmen should not be rewarded more than players who didnt and that in both cases the player should have the same level of beautiful quarter full of interesting fixtures.

I'm happy it is not the case in this server.

If the team wanted everyone to have beautiful quarters by default, we would sell fixtures for 50 gp next to the food rations in the NPC shops. After all, if food costs 3 gp then a table shouldnt cost much more than that. But then what are we playing the game for? The whole point is that the fixtures you 'earn' are the fruit of your labor (RP and exploration).

The Team's vision of what should be easily accessible (like food rations) and what shouldnt (furniture of multiple crafts), to my understanding, is based on what creates interactive RP and what doesnt. Giving people food with no time investment seems alright because dying from hunger doesnt create any interactive RP. Although, fixtures and especially edited furniture, reflects character progress and memories, and they are not essential to your survival so go ahead and RP your way to have them.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:52 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:47 am
JustMonika wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:44 pm

I read your post and it seems to me like the general meaning of this is that players who spend time RPing with other characters and collaborating with fellow craftsmen should not be rewarded more than players who didnt and that in both cases the player should have the same level of beautiful quarter full of interesting fixtures.

I'm happy it is not the case in this server.

If the team wanted everyone to have beautiful quarters by default, we would sell fixtures for 50 gp next to the food rations in the NPC shops. After all, if food costs 3 gp then a table shouldnt cost much more than that. But then what are we playing the game for? The whole point is that the fixtures you 'earn' are the fruit of your labor (RP and exploration).

The Team's vision of what should be easily accessible (like food rations) and what shouldnt (furniture of multiple crafts), to my understanding, is based on what creates interactive RP and what doesnt. Giving people food with no time investment seems alright because dying from hunger doesnt create any interactive RP. Although, fixtures and especially edited furniture, reflects character progress and memories, and they are not essential to your survival so go ahead and RP your way to have them.
I was trying to say the opposite, in that spending time roleplaying should not in fact be a massive deteriment to building fixtures, and that the requirements are so intensive that the effort/reward ratio feels more offputting than encouraging, and you're already doing it at the expensive of other mechanical benefits - Or helping any other characters with their own crafting projects.

I don't have a luxorious private quarter I want decorated. I am just generally airing concerns that the system feels offputting.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:39 pm

Not a new recipe, but this one always struck me as excessive. This is for a consumable item that cannot be repaired

Assembly Template (Complex)
DC:45
Crafting points: 160
1 Adaptive Gears
-1 Alchemistic Catalyst (Standard)
---1 Blood of a Magic Creature
---1 Ingot (Silver)
---1 Glass bottle
-2 Brass Gears
----1 Flask of Oil
----1 Ingot (Brass
---
-1 Dragon Oil
---1 Dragonhide
---5 Flask of Oil
---1 Dragon Blood
---
1 Emulsified Oil
---4 Harnak Seeds
----2 Charcoal
----1 Rock Chunk (Iron)
----1 Small Seed Balm
--------3 Strideleaf
--------6 Nuts
--------3 Sassone Leaves
--------6 Yarrow Leaves
4 Glass Vial
2 Hardwood
1 Diamond

Every other item that requries this kind of investment is, to my knowledge, repairable. The sheer amount of crap that goes into this, all for one extra unstable slot on a template puts this right up there with "crap thats not worth the effort to make"

The only other thing that even comes close to being this excessive that i've seen are the craftable poisons, which have a significantly lower DC, make 5 vials per batch, and have far, far less material investment

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:17 am

msterswrdsmn wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:39 pm
Not a new recipe, but this one always struck me as excessive. This is for a consumable item that cannot be repaired

Assembly Template (Complex)
DC:45
Crafting points: 160
1 Adaptive Gears
-1 Alchemistic Catalyst (Standard)
---1 Blood of a Magic Creature
---1 Ingot (Silver)
---1 Glass bottle
-2 Brass Gears
----1 Flask of Oil
----1 Ingot (Brass
---
-1 Dragon Oil
---1 Dragonhide
---5 Flask of Oil
---1 Dragon Blood
---
1 Emulsified Oil
---4 Harnak Seeds
----2 Charcoal
----1 Rock Chunk (Iron)
----1 Small Seed Balm
--------3 Strideleaf
--------6 Nuts
--------3 Sassone Leaves
--------6 Yarrow Leaves
4 Glass Vial
2 Hardwood
1 Diamond

Every other item that requries this kind of investment is, to my knowledge, repairable. The sheer amount of crap that goes into this, all for one extra unstable slot on a template puts this right up there with "crap thats not worth the effort to make"

The only other thing that even comes close to being this excessive that i've seen are the craftable poisons, which have a significantly lower DC, make 5 vials per batch, and have far, far less material investment
There's only so much power you can give arrows without it being a headache to make. With this template and all the headache involved (including finding the right casters to imbue your template) you can get arrows of +3, +1d10 x3 streams, 2d8 and lets say the last slot goes to something situational like vs undead/outsiders or +5/vamp. The whole point is that no one can make these arrows alone without help. I wouldnt like to see such arrows in player shops for pennies.

The recipe itself isnt even so difficult. Nothing in there has particularly high DC except the dragon oil and the template itself, to make sure it cannot be made by 1 character without risk and on the other hand, it does not require anything too rare such as adamantine or special gem (maybe it should require a special gem instead of some of the cross-trade ingredients?) so it is also not gated behind huge money investment or high lvl to get addy. I think over all this recipe is in the right place.

Now, I also wish to add that in general I really like how assembly templates are designed. You can get the Stable Template as your bread and butter default arrow sets with a situational difference between them due to 1 unstable slot. You can also use the Standard template to make slightly more powerful arrows but that now requires knowing the right casters and thus, RP. And this template follows the Standard Template line. Higher power - more cross-trade and requirements of knowing other characters of the right skills and talents.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:58 am

I think the only recipe ion the complex template that's an pain to make would be the Dragon Oil. A good carpenter spends his time cultivating harnak seeds, strideleaf, nuts, sassone leaves and yarrow.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:23 am

I also want to add that these unstable templates like standard and complex... they make 3k arrows before dying. THat's a lot of arrows. If your character, for example, makes an order of several dragon oil vials from another craftsman, then that's all they need to make several complex templates to last them 3k arrows X every dragon oil you couldnt make and had to buy. That's totally fine because these are your emergency/boss/pvp ammunition. It makes no sense to make the Standard and Complex repairable because they make insanely strong arrows.
Svrtr wrote:

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:51 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:23 am
I also want to add that these unstable templates like standard and complex... they make 3k arrows before dying. THat's a lot of arrows. If your character, for example, makes an order of several dragon oil vials from another craftsman, then that's all they need to make several complex templates to last them 3k arrows X every dragon oil you couldnt make and had to buy. That's totally fine because these are your emergency/boss/pvp ammunition. It makes no sense to make the Standard and Complex repairable because they make insanely strong arrows.
Personaly i would not even use arrows that are this hard to make for pve boss fights.
As a archer you wont be doing them solo any way and that 1 extra spell/essence slot is not going to make or break a boss fight and would simply save them for pvp.

And i actualy made the template once on a old toon , took me a few rl weeks to get all the stuff and casters online to make the arrows.
Then i cried rivers of tears when finding out that all i would get for my time spend was 3k arrows that are just 1 slot better.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:15 am

Nobs wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:51 am
AstralUniverse wrote:
Personaly i would not even use arrows that are this hard to make for pve boss fights.
As a archer you wont be doing them solo any way and that 1 extra spell/essence slot is not going to make or break a boss fight and would simply save them for pvp.

And i actualy made the template once on a old toon , took me a few rl weeks to get all the stuff and casters online to make the arrows.
Then i cried rivers of tears when finding out that all i would get for my time spend was 3k arrows that are just 1 slot better.
It's 1 slot better than a template that also consumable. So whether or not you want a steady supply of decent arrows (through Stable template) or MUCH stronger options with the Standard and Complex, that's up to you. If Complex template recipe was any easier, then I'd suggest Stable template gets another Stable slot.
Svrtr wrote:

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:03 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:15 am
Nobs wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:51 am
AstralUniverse wrote:

It's 1 slot better than a template that also consumable. So whether or not you want a steady supply of decent arrows (through Stable template) or MUCH stronger options with the Standard and Complex, that's up to you. If Complex template recipe was any easier, then I'd suggest Stable template gets another Stable slot.
A better way and for sure more low level friendly would be to just add DEX to ranged damage and delete the templates.