Grandfathering

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Grandfathering

Post by Liareth » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:58 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:43 am
Liareth wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:37 am
It seems like it would be very simple to automate full rebuilds if the development team wanted to go in that direction. No need for any manual intervention.
You've done things with this server that were considered impossible in the past. Think you could pull of something like that, that also overrides the anti-muling script? I think I'd be speaking for most of the playerbase if I said it would draw many smiles around here.
I don't think it's a matter of technical hurdle so much as policy. Any developer could make it work:

* Add database field with exp value and items.
* Add -rebuild.
* When used on an existing character, populates database field, stores all gear, and deletes character.
* When used on a new character, gives exp and gear.

This is something the team would have to want as a policy, which is not currently the case.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:06 pm

The frequency with which drastic mechanical changes have been made lately has been gradually increasing (which is great - don't get me wrong).
However, I'm not the biggest fan of the prospect of having to remake my characters every month.

Arelith is not some kind of MMO where balance means everything. Had this been the case, we'd all have our characters start at max level with maxed out gear and all the information regarding mechanical aspects of the game would be open - none of this seems to be the case.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:16 pm

I have a lot of grandfathered stuff in my vault. Most are horribly gimped because of my limited building skills at the time, but also because classes have been changed, the gift system has been added since then etc. Just pointing out that a lot of grandfathered stuff is horribly outdated and the powerful relics must be few and far between.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:23 pm

Liareth wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:58 am
This is something the team would have to want as a policy, which is not currently the case.
VERY interesting that you say that. I wont press further about this on the forums then.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:07 pm

This server has always been against telling players when there characters story is done.

Deleting outdated builds would be a violation of this, and furthermore would discourage people from using new classes.

Sure you can play Warlock Mark2! Just bare in mind that we may randomly delete said class at any point. Take a six month break from Arelith, and when you get back you might get deleted on login!

You can't see other peoples character sheets. How much do legacy characters really, really affect anyone? Let alone legacy items.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Two words

Legacy greensteel
Intelligence is too important

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:06 pm

Liareth wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:21 pm
I agree strongly with the voices opposing grandfathering in this thread. In the past, my policy was to avoid grandfathering completely. Not only does it make new characters feel like they can't compete (I still get annoyed knowing that a wild dwarf kensai barb/fighter/wm exists, and I can never match them!), it also adds significant complexity to the code, which makes future changes harder to make. IMO, changes should just be applied, and if they are too extreme, full rebuilds offered.
I confess I can't wrap my mind around this mentality. How does one, or even ten of those wild dwarfs existing, in random burst intervals that are likely to infrequently overlap with your playtime at best (because they will remain a rarity that can no longer be created), affect your story or make you unable to compete in any way? There are literal thousands of other characters that aren't those wild dwarfs that you can outperform - because there is also a real-time skill component to NWN, you may wildly outperform them anyway.

I don't want to sound critical, but I do want to engage this mentality, because I think it's responsible for a lot of the lost luster of the world's environment at times- a handful of people having a cookie for their character that you can't have shouldn't be the end of the world for you unless you are directly in confrontation with them, and sometimes the bad guys have some ridiculous power you need to overcome.

At its basest level, all RP in this game can be ignored and it can be viewed purely mechanically as a story based on percentage outcomes. But no one is ever going to enjoy the story if they're getting anxious over each and every single 5, 10, or 15% situational difference someone else has. Instead, isn't it better to just let those things that were created and those people have their fun, and build around your own fun instead?

I also agree with the premise of most grandfathered characters being sub-optimal by a wide margin due to a vast array of mechanical changes that followed their grandfathering in the first place, and I'm not even convinced it's a cut and dry case of them having an actual overall advantage anymore. I'm unfamiliar with the explicit wild dwarf build you're mentioning, but if someone is truly taking something abysmally broken and ruining everyone's good time with no regard for the Be Nice rule, isn't that already covered, without taking away people's cookies?

Addendum; regarding code complexity, I can't speak on the subject - if something remaining grandfathered made it impossible for the rest of Arelith to remain stable, I wouldn't object to it being pulled, but I'd probably lean to the side of asking and possibly pleading with devs to try to put in the extra effort to not wipe an entire concept from play, as well, so long as it wasn't misery-inducing.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Personally I rather have a few grandfathered slightly more powerful characters than this 'constant rolling up new characters' meta to the point of where people literally run non stop fully hasted repeating a dungeon over and over because they done it a hundred times already.

Destroying grandfather characters, is not only unfair to characters that had to discover a lot of things on their own, but had no writs, etc. but it only encourages the Arelith's more recent obsession over the past few years with fully maximized lvl 30 pvp optomization.

With Lore changes, grandfather kensais arnt even special anymore. Kensai was becoming a problem because it was the optimal thing to do for any build that gave up UMD/spellcasting. Now that all of those builds can lore up their breach scrolls, Kensais still lack massively needs tools against spellcasters. Not to mention most grandfathered character are from players who rarely roll because they take so long to level because they never 'git gud'.

IF Arelith decides to do the rebuild all the legacy character route, you will need recreate+rebuild to be fair.

Like my 3 gift str based kensai monk with only 10 int is terrible meta.. terrible. You expect him to build the lore and or umd and ac he needs without int 14 and dex being his third highest stat? The guy can't even hold a candle to your optimal build anyways.

Certain paths have different starting feats/stats and to bring them in line with the non-legacy path requires a re-create, not a rebuild. So losing your character in 6 months would still be a reality regardless of the relevel command being opened up to them. All of that, just so you arn't bothered by some veteran character who might be more optimal than you in a melee battle but still has no tools against mages? That is way too focused on numbers over roleplay continuity.

*EDIT*

actauly if you want an auto script, and do justice in a way that won't make legacy character players feel burned (I strongly recommend just letting legacy characters be as there is often other unoptomized things about them from the players still holding on to them as I explained earlier), then I do have an idea that won't be as sour as those force to change.

Give major rewards.

I don't know if I will ever be 30, let alone rolls many said leveled characters, and one of the few things that makes me happy about my slow style of play is "at least i got some unique legacy characters sitting on my shelves." Major rewards are still in line of 'modern meta that everyone can equally do' while also not leaving out players who feel like their invested time just got thrown out the window was a complete waste of life. Also why we are at this conversation, or not most major reward characters legacy characters and were not certain rewards rotated over time to control how many there were like dragons? Legacy of stuff like kensais slowly kills off the kensais that matter; a forceful stop of grandfathering is completely unnecessary. Though if the community must do it, rewards in turn of not having certain legacy stuff I think would successfully reduce high levels of salt to medium levels of salt.

Again though, I think anti grandfathering is a little silly and sends the wrong kind of message of RP vs mechanics.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:49 pm

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:06 pm
Liareth wrote:
I agree strongly with the voices opposing grandfathering in this thread. In the past, my policy was to avoid grandfathering completely. Not only does it make new characters feel like they can't compete (I still get annoyed knowing that a wild dwarf kensai barb/fighter/wm exists, and I can never match them!), it also adds significant complexity to the code, which makes future changes harder to make. IMO, changes should just be applied, and if they are too extreme, full rebuilds offered.
I confess I can't wrap my mind around this mentality. How does one, or even ten of those wild dwarfs existing, in random burst intervals that are likely to infrequently overlap with your playtime at best (because they will remain a rarity that can no longer be created), affect your story or make you unable to compete in any way? There are literal thousands of other characters that aren't those wild dwarfs that you can outperform - because there is also a real-time skill component to NWN, you may wildly outperform them anyway.

I don't want to sound critical, but I do want to engage this mentality, because I think it's responsible for a lot of the lost luster of the world's environment at times- a handful of people having a cookie for their character that you can't have shouldn't be the end of the world for you unless you are directly in confrontation with them, and sometimes the bad guys have some ridiculous power you need to overcome.

At its basest level, all RP in this game can be ignored and it can be viewed purely mechanically as a story based on percentage outcomes. But no one is ever going to enjoy the story if they're getting anxious over each and every single 5, 10, or 15% situational difference someone else has. Instead, isn't it better to just let those things that were created and those people have their fun, and build around your own fun instead?

I also agree with the premise of most grandfathered characters being sub-optimal by a wide margin due to a vast array of mechanical changes that followed their grandfathering in the first place, and I'm not even convinced it's a cut and dry case of them having an actual overall advantage anymore. I'm unfamiliar with the explicit wild dwarf build you're mentioning, but if someone is truly taking something abysmally broken and ruining everyone's good time with no regard for the Be Nice rule, isn't that already covered, without taking away people's cookies?

Addendum; regarding code complexity, I can't speak on the subject - if something remaining grandfathered made it impossible for the rest of Arelith to remain stable, I wouldn't object to it being pulled, but I'd probably lean to the side of asking and possibly pleading with devs to try to put in the extra effort to not wipe an entire concept from play, as well, so long as it wasn't misery-inducing.
This 100000 times.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 pm

Can we try to break this conversion into:

Grandfathering of classes or races - a clear case can be made this is integral to RP for the affected characters, and so I have some sympathy of the voices raised in this thread (I don't agree, but I can appreciate the angle)
VS
Grandfathering of items or feats - it is very hard to argue any items or feats are critical to any RP or build at the level that a character's story can't continue. Here, I have a firm view that it makes no sense to let it continue

Old grandfathering - I recognise finding all examples of grandfathering is likely difficult and time-consuming, and so might not be a good time investment for the dev team
VS
New grandfathering - Is it actually controversial that to the extent possible new grandfathering should be avoided? (especially relating to items and feats)
Last edited by Quidix on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 pm

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Liareth wrote:

Balance is important, and a big part of that, IMO, is the belief that all players should have equal access to and abide by the same mechanical rules. It doesn't matter to me that a grandfathered character didn't shit in my cereal this morning. To players who enjoy character optimization, a lack of an even playing field can sour the fun.

In my example, it's just 2 AC and 1 APR, but that's still a significant difference in mechanical strength. And honestly, it doesn't change how the character is played at all [edit: in this particular build, in others it removes wands], especially after the lore changes, so why is it even a grandfathered path in the first place? Kensai should just be axed entirely.

The various caster paths are more difficult. They change the way a class is played at the core. It sucks to be a new player, see one of these grandfathered classes, say, "aw man that's so cool, how can I do that?", then realize you can never do that because the path is reserved for the lucky/smart old guard who were in the right place at the right time.

I don't think decisions should be made on the logic of "just let people have their cookies" or "well, they are having fun, so it's okay". We should want what's best for the server, which, at times, means removing fun cookies that players enjoy because they are not and cannot be properly balanced, or because they no longer fit the direction of the server. In these case I feel it's important to make sure players aren't hard done by - this is why I believe full rebuilds should be offered.

Why do players deserve to play removed paths that were deemed inappropriate for the server as a whole, for reasons of either balance or direction? Just because they pressed the 'new character' button? That doesn't seem fair to me at all. It's also not fair to shit on the hundreds of hours that players have invested into their character, which is why I believe the only sane option in these cases is a full rebuild.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:36 pm

maybe instead of worrying about what is from the past, the easiest way to fix this is the wipe all the vaults so everyone can start fresh and on the same playing field.

ive had many chars who were those classes and such that were stripped mauled and spit out in new looks, and most ended up being rolled within 30 days simply because the changes totally altered the core of the character, both in rp backstory and skills.

i understand how people get attached to the characters, but this could also be a way for the dev team to get rid of the power creep and get balance back in place.

sure people will cry and bitch and moan, but in the end it would be better overall for everyone and everything for a level field would it not?
Yes I can sign

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:36 pm
maybe instead of worrying about what is from the past, the easiest way to fix this is the wipe all the vaults so everyone can start fresh and on the same playing field.

ive had many chars who were those classes and such that were stripped mauled and spit out in new looks, and most ended up being rolled within 30 days simply because the changes totally altered the core of the character, both in rp backstory and skills.

i understand how people get attached to the characters, but this could also be a way for the dev team to get rid of the power creep and get balance back in place.

sure people will cry and bitch and moan, but in the end it would be better overall for everyone and everything for a level field would it not?
I know this is probably a parody post but I unironically think that the few weeks after a vault wipe would be the best weeks of Arelith ever seen. Arelith-style new character week, please!

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:55 pm

I'd like a new character weekend, yeah!

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:47 pm

The first week after a vault wipe would be great. I'd say two weeks later the die-hards would be fully geared level 30s again and things wouldn't look that much different.

Still might be interesting to clear all the factions and quarters and start fresh.

I always wanted to see a new server based on Arelith mechanics but set in an entirely different and unconnected location myself, that would be a true start from scratch.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 am

Liareth wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 pm
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Liareth wrote:

Balance is important, and a big part of that, IMO, is the belief that all players should have equal access to and abide by the same mechanical rules. It doesn't matter to me that a grandfathered character didn't shit in my cereal this morning. To players who enjoy character optimization, a lack of an even playing field can sour the fun.

In my example, it's just 2 AC and 1 APR, but that's still a significant difference in mechanical strength. And honestly, it doesn't change how the character is played at all [edit: in this particular build, in others it removes wands], especially after the lore changes, so why is it even a grandfathered path in the first place? Kensai should just be axed entirely.

The various caster paths are more difficult. They change the way a class is played at the core. It sucks to be a new player, see one of these grandfathered classes, say, "aw man that's so cool, how can I do that?", then realize you can never do that because the path is reserved for the lucky/smart old guard who were in the right place at the right time.

I don't think decisions should be made on the logic of "just let people have their cookies" or "well, they are having fun, so it's okay". We should want what's best for the server, which, at times, means removing fun cookies that players enjoy because they are not and cannot be properly balanced, or because they no longer fit the direction of the server. In these case I feel it's important to make sure players aren't hard done by - this is why I believe full rebuilds should be offered.

Why do players deserve to play removed paths that were deemed inappropriate for the server as a whole, for reasons of either balance or direction? Just because they pressed the 'new character' button? That doesn't seem fair to me at all. It's also not fair to shit on the hundreds of hours that players have invested into their character, which is why I believe the only sane option in these cases is a full rebuild.
I'd appreciate some engaging in my post about how i claim the kensai has no real advantage especially with new lore/umd changes. Kensai has no tools in fighting mages Where any class combo can now easily use breach scrolls. Or even an elemental shield to counter the kensai. Yes kensai can farm those rare shards. But the problem with kensais was they became an auto choice for non umd characters in the potion drinking state they had become. This was not the intention of the path. But now with lore updates, optimal kensai builds are not necessarily as optimal as non kensai variants.

Also in a lot of these cases a recreate is necessary over just a rebuild because of stuff like starting stat allocations. Like the odds of one's character coming across that rare optimal kensai wild dwarf whatever are not exactly high and drastically game changing (even if we ignored my lore argument). I have yet to come across any wild dwarves at all. You being bothered by it being out there and you never being able reach it would be a similar feeling to players lacking major rewards to roll up minotaurs. Like i will never have the play/grind time to have that many 30s, is that fair? (Hence my extreme suggestion of giving major rewards for rolling grandfather characters if we that badly want players to get with the current meta)

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:16 am

Quidix wrote:
Can we try to break this conversion into:

Grandfathering of classes or races - a clear case can be made this is integral to RP for the affected characters, and so I have some sympathy of the voices raised in this thread (I don't agree, but I can appreciate the angle)
VS
Grandfathering of items or feats - it is very hard to argue any items or feats are critical to any RP or build at the level that a character's story can't continue. Here, I have a firm view that it makes no sense to let it continue

Old grandfathering - I recognise finding all examples of grandfathering is likely difficult and time-consuming, and so might not be a good time investment for the dev team
VS
New grandfathering - Is it actually controversial that to the extent possible new grandfathering should be avoided? (especially relating to items and feats)
as insightful as i think these distinctions are, o feel the anti grandfathering camp is going to just want to push for all of it to go away with little engaging about compromises other than rebuilds that can not do justice to character continuity.

I wonder how unique major rewards would be viewed in this anti grandfathering meta.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:37 am

Liareth wrote:
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Liareth wrote:

So rather than respond paragraph by paragraph, I feel like it's better if I respond overall. I hear a lot of what you're saying, I think we're just in different overall camps about it. In most cases, I agree balance is important, but I think the atmosphere Arelith strives to foster of immersive narration is fundamentally harmed by obsessing over it.

This doesn't mean I think we need to turn devastating critical on. I'm not about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It's more about embracing the very clear premise of D&D (or if you're loudly in the camp of "Arelith isn't D&D," I'm happy to inform this holds true in NWN, as well) balancing around parties of 3-5 pc's vs. monsters. It is a game balanced for cooperative story-telling wherein occasionally you may have two characters go head to head for the sake of the story.

I firmly believe any perception that NWN, Arelith, or any iteration of a D20 system game is balanced around player vs. player balance is grossly flawed. It's not, it never has been, and other than ripping out vanilla's guts entirely and recreating a completely new game from scratch that still rolls d20 dice, you're not going to achieve that kind of balance. It's not a competitive MMO, and it's never going to sustain that level of balance no matter what efforts are put forward- the system can be made better and more enjoyable, but if you're changing it just for the sake of balance vs. other players, IMO you're wasting time and effort.

That wild dwarf having +2 ac means he's 10% less likely to get hit than you. Most of the time, that means he's 10% less likely to get hit than you against a monster, except Arelith isn't hard, and that 10% increase at end game probably means the monster still has a 5% chance to hit both of you, if you were both building for optimization in the first place. That +1 APR means he's going to kill those monsters faster than you, but I would happily have a civilized debate arguing the merits of that level of care about someone else's optimization in what is, generally, supposed to be a shared sandbox experience where you both get to tell your own cool stories with each other.

Here are what I believe are statistical facts about PvP combat in NWN, and Arelith in particular, allowing for all its interesting little changes. Removing player skill from the equation and assuming best circumstances for both sides in all situations-

A level 30 rogue is always going to beat a level 30 mage.
A level 30 fighter is always going to beat a level 30 rogue.
A level 30 mage is always going to beat a level 30 fighter.
Clerics are jesus, they will beat a level 30 version of any of the other types in a straight fight. It comes with channeling god.

That's your balance, right there. The balance between PC's isn't designed around percentage differentials, it's designed around how the different class kits can exploit (5% of the time, and complement the other 95%) each other, otherwise known as Rock-Paper-Scissors. When you add multi-classing, you add -Lizard-Spock to the end of that, and it all goes out the window.

I am completely sympathetic to the fact that grandfathering makes coding harder, and anything that damages the stability of Arelith in a measurable way has to go, no questions asked- but I don't think anyone should ever lose a character because someone crunching numbers realized that other build has a 10% advantage. I agree that not every feat or class choice is concept-breaking to lose, but I also think it would be disingenuous to say that a Weavemaster given a free recreate as a wizard or sorcerer can be told that they are role-playing the same character concept afterwards. While I acknowledge that there is effort to soften a blow there, the blow seems wholly unnecessary.

Edit: As to why I feel they deserve to play that character just because they created the character- it's because the server told them they could, when they did. They probably didn't know when they came up with the concept that it was going to go away - I myself sometimes plan concepts months out in advance before I get around to creating them, and people from GitGud can tell you, it's not because I'm obsessing over how to build it. :lol: I guess what I'm saying is, if it doesn't stop Arelith from working, why shouldn't they be allowed to play that concept out to its completion? How is it functionally any different from characters playing obsolete 5%'s?

I'd be happy to sort the conversation into different types of grandfathering as well, because clearly I have different stances depending on the circumstances, but as others have observed, this seems to be an all or nothing approach we're discussing.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:41 am

i did play on a server called Anphilla were they did the vault wipe thing a few times. it was one of the reason i moved servers. it was a horrible experience to log in and see the character you played yesterday gone, since you didn't visit the forums. i think it happened a few times before the DMs decide to give the host the finger and leave with a big chunk of the playerbase. i think some of them made Ravenloft, but iam not 100% sure. i was a kid back then, so my memory is properly flawed and painted in a dramatic light based on rumors and gossip.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:28 am

Saying balance does not matter seems odd to me.

Grandfathering happens in the first place because something is deemed unbalanced and needs a fix. If we don't believe in balance, as some have suggested in this thread, then why as a server are we spending so much dev time trying to achieve it?

Eg, if "it's fine" to grandfather the Beast rewards, why did we need the change in the first place? Either it's a big deal, and then grandfathering of it is a bad idea, or it is not a big deal, and then we don't need the change and may as well keep the playing field equal.

It seems to be assumed the removal of grandfathering = instant character deletion. That said, a much better way is likely to just add a major toning down - so the people keen on the stories can complete their stories, but don't have to do so by gaining an unfair mechanical advantage. What is the downside of this type of policy? It only harms grandfathered characters where the player only plays it because its strong, unfair, mechanical nature.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:45 am

I'm in agreement with most of what AB said. And furthermore, I dont understand anymore if this thread is about belts or about characters. Because belts can be toned down any time. I had an Artefect, supposedly, .. lets say it was full plate +4 ac, +4 str + 4 discipline. Currently, it would be +3 ac +1 str and +2 discipline. Is it stronger than a your normal high end armor? yes it is. Is it strong enough to break the game? Not really and I wouldnt be jealous knowing someone out there wears it because I also know that someone cant use scrolls anymore or possibly is crippled in much worse ways than that. These gradfathered characters become slightly more and more obsolete with every update that goes through. The same thing can be done to the belts. nerfing them to +2 str instead of +3 really solves all the problem, /IF/ that is even required which I dont think it is because of the updates and shifts in the meta.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:04 am

I would be fine with a vault wipe were were we allowed to play the same characters.

I'm here to tell stories, I can do that without an inventory and a level count.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:37 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:37 am
Thanks for the detailed response! I don't have anything to add to my stance (we're just in different camps, which is fine) but wanted to acknowledge that I've read and understood yours.
malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 am
I'd appreciate some engaging in my post about how i claim the kensai has no real advantage especially with new lore/umd changes. Kensai has no tools in fighting mages Where any class combo can now easily use breach scrolls. Or even an elemental shield to counter the kensai. Yes kensai can farm those rare shards. But the problem with kensais was they became an auto choice for non umd characters in the potion drinking state they had become. This was not the intention of the path. But now with lore updates, optimal kensai builds are not necessarily as optimal as non kensai variants.
I won't go into too much detail here other than to say that the lore change made the builds that used to be sub-optimal (even as kensai) viable without kensai. With kensai, their damage output is significantly higher. It's not accurate to say that all old builds are sub-optimal. More than a few players rolled a vault full of kensai before they were removed and play them to this day. Not to mention that we just finished with a wave of universal rebuilds, allowing these old, grandfathered characters to be tuned to modern standards.
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 am
Also in a lot of these cases a recreate is necessary over just a rebuild because of stuff like starting stat allocations. Like the odds of one's character coming across that rare optimal kensai wild dwarf whatever are not exactly high and drastically game changing (even if we ignored my lore argument). I have yet to come across any wild dwarves at all. You being bothered by it being out there and you never being able reach it would be a similar feeling to players lacking major rewards to roll up minotaurs. Like i will never have the play/grind time to have that many 30s, is that fair? (Hence my extreme suggestion of giving major rewards for rolling grandfather characters if we that badly want players to get with the current meta)
In my view, there is a huge difference between:

1) Something that any player has equal odds to achieve, given enough effort and time investment, and,
2) Something that a subset of players have that other players can never get, no matter how much work they put in.

Major award races are 1).

Grandfathered legacy mechanics are 2).

Big difference. If you wanted to get a 5% character, you could get one. You don't want to - the cost:benefit analysis makes it a poor goal for you - so you don't. But if you saw a recently rebuilt weave master in a group and thought, "damn, that fits my concept PERFECTLY, I want to do that!" - it's not even a far-off distant dream for you, it's mechanically impossible to achieve, because the path is grandfathered.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:38 pm

Liareth wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:37 am

In my view, there is a huge difference between:

1) Something that any player has equal odds to achieve, given enough effort and time investment, and,
2) Something that a subset of players have that other players can never get, no matter how much work they put in.

Major award races are 1).

Grandfathered legacy mechanics are 2).

Big difference. If you wanted to get a 5% character, you could get one. You don't want to - the cost:benefit analysis makes it a poor goal for you - so you don't. But if you saw a recently rebuilt weave master in a group and thought, "damn, that fits my concept PERFECTLY, I want to do that!" - it's not even a far-off distant dream for you, it's mechanically impossible to achieve, because the path is grandfathered.
Pragmatically speaking 1) and 2) are no different to me as i will have to quit video games completely before I personally achieve 1) or a race might get rotated out before I get there.

5% uniques are actaully currently discontinued with no promise of returning them and even if they do, there is no promise you will be approved the same 5% as someone else. Should we grandfather uniques that realistically most players will never be able to enjoy? And

I offered the idea of replacing 2) with 1) as a placating both sides situation (a rebuild won't help sub optimal stat starts or disruption of RP continuity). It puts 2) in camp of 1) since some seem to no be bothered with camp 1) over camp 2). I personally think just letting it be is best though.

Mechanically speaking 1) also has potentially way more boons than 2).

Let's take lvl 30 fighter as an example.

Before umd/lore changes it was never worth giving up umd, before kensais discontinued, if you did do a build that gave up umd, you might as well be a kensai. This made kensais mandatory for any non umd build which caused issues. But now with lore changes, pure fighter with no kensai is back on the table.

Now yes, a lvl 30 fighter kensai potential with player potions of being 2 ac + 1 apr over the non 30 fighter kensai. But the 30 fighter non kensai can make use of scrolls with lore to counter play both mages and the kensai and he got to level 30 with a lot less work than because of being able to GMW early levels plus writ.

This argument can apply any class combo since any class combo can have umd and, or lore now.

So how is it fair the character who had no writs leveling should be made the same, or even worse than depending starting class/stats, as a modern meta character when mechanically speaking their advantage still has a glairing weakness?

It does not sound fair, it sounds like wanting to remove a cookie just because you can never have it. Which is how I feel about all the Major rewards, legacy unique ones or even Minotaurs. But I think its cool uniques for 1) and 2) exist even though I will never achieve 1) (and in case of uniques 5%; I am not alone).

Legacy kensais don't break the game and that is why they were grandfathered.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:38 pm
It does not sound fair, it sounds like wanting to remove a cookie just because you can never have it. Which is how I feel about all the Major rewards, legacy unique ones or even Minotaurs. But I think its cool uniques for 1) and 2) exist even though I will never achieve 1) (and in case of uniques 5%; I am not alone).

Legacy kensais don't break the game and that is why they were grandfathered.
It's not cookies we're talking about, but straight up mechanical advantages. A FTR/WM/CoT will never be as strong as the same build that is also a kensai. A modern STR based character will never have the extra saves and ease of gearing that one with the old beast belt does. In a lot of cases with grandfathering, the old is not just an alternative or cookie, but a direct (and sometimes significant, legacy greensteel anyone?) upgrade to the new version.

5%'s are at least obtainable. Arelith has a stated goal of not having 5%'s just be a power upgrade but often falls short of that goal when it comes to balancing, sometimes by quite a lot as new 5% races are either outrageously strong or laughably weak. And it's fair in the sense that everyone can obtain them, but they also suffer from grandfathering. Dragon PC's for example, are just an upgrade to pretty much every other race and not obtainable any longer, but we still have a lot of older ones running around that get to enjoy their leg up forever thanks to grandfathering.