Monster Pirates

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

RedGiant

Monster Pirates

Post by RedGiant » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:54 am

"New Greater award added to allow Gnolls, Duergar, and Goblins to attain pirate tattoos and start off in Sencliff, this rewards requires an approved APPLICATION to the made to the DM team prior to taking the award."

Love it.

Personally, I think evil factions should generally allow monsters anyway. The server's long fascination that evil=ud and ud=evil has been, quite frankly, somewhat silly and contrary to lore.

Here I would recommend expanding this list, since it is DM application anyway. Ogres are fully 10% of the Nelanthar Pirate Population and certainly things like kobolds (environment: temperate forests) and hobgoblins (environment: warm hills) are at least or more likely to end up Pirates than Duergar (environment: underground).
Last edited by RedGiant on Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Grunf

Re: Monster Pirates

Post by Grunf » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 am

I am not much in favour of this, even as it was done in past and gladly that requires DM approval at least.

Also i agree Ogres would be more fit while i simply cant see Duergars beyond underdark ship, what happens with being at the sun and how interactions between non and monster races as pirates should be done?

Anyhow dislike idea of spreadin ud races further from Andunor, but lets test it and see ofc.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:09 pm

Duergar are not considered monsters and frequently travel the surface as traders in established lore.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:58 pm

Hello!

We'd like to keep it a pretty narrow list for now, but we may look at expanding it later.

Ogres probably won't go on the list any time soon however as Ogres are an award race, and you can't spend two awards on one character. Though of course, an Ogre could become a pirate via later application and enough rp.

Issues of Sunlight, and expectations of monster behavior, remain. Just because your Drow is a pirate, it doesn't mean that they should be at all comfortable in the sun, or that any surface 'settlment' outside of Sencliff will have anything like tolerance of them (and TBH the pirate ink is what allows Sencliff NPCs to have enough tolerance of them that they'd be allowed to own property ect there).

Bringing this in as an option was very much the result of some heated debate, and part of the reason why it's applicaiton only is to keep an eye on the amount of interest and numbers in it, as well as the over all style of rp and such. Dependent on how things shape up, this reward could be moved up a level (to a major) or down (normal) or have the application part moved, or even be eliminated entirely. This is not neccesarly the final form, and I'll be monitoring it closely.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:51 am

You are not going to see people use the reward too much. Starting as UD race im Sencliff is masochism. You can't smuggle your way back to UD for writs, (or do you do surface writs!?!?) And if Adunor is in conflict with Sencliff, good luck doing anything anywhere. At least with normal pirates, once you made it to Crow"s nest it was smooth sailing and you can use cordor/arcane tower portal to go back home. Or sail to crows nest, smuggle back, etc.