[Necromancy spell focus] Corpsecraft

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

White_935

[Necromancy spell focus] Corpsecraft

Post by White_935 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:33 am

Greeting!

I fiddling and concept-designing different characters, which i at times find interesting and i came to the realization that Spell focus necromancy really doesn't have anything unique to it unlike all the other current schools.

fiddling and looking at how the golemancy for transmutation worked, perhaps it could be used for inspiration.

Using the spells you currently have, you can easily summon a tiny group of undead to your side, but what about allowing necromancers build their own hoard, for story or for content.. i think it would be interesting to add smiliarly a ability to harvest "bodies" from dead monsters and through a crafting-process produce undead templates of said monster, however it'd be a one-use as you'd either have to release it into the wild or send it to its grave.

The idea is rather barebone at the moment, so i'd love suggestions and comments on how such mechanics could work, befitting of the lore behind necromancy from 3.5 dnd

Reallylongunneededplayername

Re: [Necromancy spell focus] Corpsecraft

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:49 am

As an "RP" tool, I'm totally for a lvl 5 hoard of undead.
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:28 am

I've wanted to suggest for a /long/ time, an ESF Necromancy spell to be raising a named zombie or skeleton from a PC corpse. Have it work like bashing (since people do that all the time anyway) and have a 10 min rp tool.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Apokriphos

Post by Apokriphos » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:06 pm

Eira wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:28 am
I've wanted to suggest for a /long/ time, an ESF Necromancy spell to be raising a named zombie or skeleton from a PC corpse. Have it work like bashing (since people do that all the time anyway) and have a 10 min rp tool.
I think this idea is quite interesting, though I would probably lengthen the cooldown and make it require 5 material components to use like other epic spell abilities. I also think if this happens it should replace the current summon greater undead perk.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:16 pm

I'd like to see Control Undead be able to dominate multiple undeads with epic focus.

I could imagine a funny/cool situation where two Necromancers are battling and they keep taking over each other's Mummy Dust minions.

White_935

Post by White_935 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:45 pm

I would love to see a crafting functionality for creating your own undead templates (perhaps replace your wizard familiar with it), which you can improve and change upon.

As for a Epic spell focus ability, i'd love to change the details a bit from what eira suggested.

How about allowing you to temporary resurrect a player as a revenant.
A player goes down in a dungeon, and you resurrect him in battle as a undead template of said race (revenant) and they can continue the fight for awhile before the spell fades and they return to being a resurrected body.

That way necromancers can't quite resurrect the dead, but they can bring back a companion to quickly continue holding the line in per say a epic dungeon.

Shrouded Wanderer

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:27 pm

As someone whose played on EFU: City of rings, who arguably has the best/most lore friendly Necromancy mechanics Ive ever seen in 2100 hours of playing NWN, A similar process would be amazing.

Here is how it is set up:

Animate dead/create undead are the primary means of creation.

Necromancer finds a body (Skeleton warrior, Mummy, vampire ashes, dead dog... Etc)
Lays it on the floor and casts animate dead on it
The creature is risen as that form of undead, and is added as a bodyguard slot, not a summon slot (Comes into play later)
The creature has stats based on the body it has (Skeletal warrior has +10 ab, 20 ac and starts with rusty armor and a shield)
The Necromancer then can give the creature a weapon and have it equip said weapon whatever it may be

Necromancer can then use their own health pool to expirement on the undead using either their con or their hp, forcing them to do these experiments in secret, necromancers caught durring the expiriementation process are typically killed easily because they have low Hp needing to use healing kits or restoration on themselves.

Experimentation can increase a few things;
AB
AC
Movespeed
Explodes on death with NEB

For example, and can only be experimented on up to the skill of the Necromancer based on Sf/gsf/esf as well as their skill in lore, spellcraft etc.

For example a GSF Necromancer with 30 in spellcraft/lore could add +5 Ab, and +2 AC before maxing out on that single body

Then there is summoning points, Undead have a certain cap based on how strong they are, for example a level 20 necromancer with GSF necromancy could summon 6 to 8 Skeletons that they could control at any given point

The fact that they are bodyguards mechanically means that the necromancer could rest with them still out and they are controlled with an associate tool and can be dismissed only through dialogue menu. Meaning it would be harder for a necromancer to actually hide what they were doing.

The other point of which is that it adds flavor to a class that some people just consider the "Evil Conjuration" class.

Having to find corpses, or create them, adds an extra step and forces the players to confront the fact that what they are doing is evil, as opposed to just being another one of those summoners, but this one has evil flavor.

White_935

Post by White_935 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:32 pm

Shrouded Wanderer wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:27 pm
As someone whose played on EFU: City of rings, who arguably has the best/most lore friendly Necromancy mechanics Ive ever seen in 2100 hours of playing NWN, A similar process would be amazing.

Here is how it is set up:

Animate dead/create undead are the primary means of creation.

Necromancer finds a body (Skeleton warrior, Mummy, vampire ashes, dead dog... Etc)
Lays it on the floor and casts animate dead on it
The creature is risen as that form of undead, and is added as a bodyguard slot, not a summon slot (Comes into play later)
The creature has stats based on the body it has (Skeletal warrior has +10 ab, 20 ac and starts with rusty armor and a shield)
The Necromancer then can give the creature a weapon and have it equip said weapon whatever it may be

Necromancer can then use their own health pool to expirement on the undead using either their con or their hp, forcing them to do these experiments in secret, necromancers caught durring the expiriementation process are typically killed easily because they have low Hp needing to use healing kits or restoration on themselves.

Experimentation can increase a few things;
AB
AC
Movespeed
Explodes on death with NEB

For example, and can only be experimented on up to the skill of the Necromancer based on Sf/gsf/esf as well as their skill in lore, spellcraft etc.

For example a GSF Necromancer with 30 in spellcraft/lore could add +5 Ab, and +2 AC before maxing out on that single body

Then there is summoning points, Undead have a certain cap based on how strong they are, for example a level 20 necromancer with GSF necromancy could summon 6 to 8 Skeletons that they could control at any given point

The fact that they are bodyguards mechanically means that the necromancer could rest with them still out and they are controlled with an associate tool and can be dismissed only through dialogue menu. Meaning it would be harder for a necromancer to actually hide what they were doing.

The other point of which is that it adds flavor to a class that some people just consider the "Evil Conjuration" class.

Having to find corpses, or create them, adds an extra step and forces the players to confront the fact that what they are doing is evil, as opposed to just being another one of those summoners, but this one has evil flavor.
This sounds amazing.

Shrouded Wanderer

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:49 pm

Its probably one of the best Ive seen.

With Areliths dead body system, allowing the raising of a player would be a neat concept. Give it a 10 minute timer and the player cannot respawn in that time maybe? Or 7 minutes?

Make the raised undead player be about a little more powerful than a Dread Mummy and itll be worth using. Especially if you are fighting against a group.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:07 pm

"I will have revenge against the man who killed my brother!"
Warrior: you have my sword!
Archer: you have my bow!
Necromancer: and your brother!

Mythic

Post by Mythic » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:36 am

I would likely say having it based around player bodies, Will cause more problems than it will solve. Sure it may be an interesting RP tool, But at the same time, preventing Respawn, and "RPing" their character as undead....Would Lorewise? I believe prevent respawning.

However, With the Bones we have in the server already (Used for Bone Golems) And the huge variety of corpses..

Necromancy being able to raise -monsters- as "Spectres" or "Ghostly" versions, Could be just as interesting. Though I'm loathe to give more buffs to Necro's, as they're already in a strong state.

Kitting together your own "Bodyguard" as undead, Would be an interesting alternative to say...your Familiar

It'd probably be best working as a similar system to Golems, You use XYZ materials, you can raise/Create items which give temporary Henchman Undead (Like Oozes)

EFU's system sounds really impressive.
Howling around all year long

Shrouded Wanderer

Post by Shrouded Wanderer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:48 am

Mythic wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:36 am
**SNIP**

It'd probably be best working as a similar system to Golems, You use XYZ materials, you can raise/Create items which give temporary Henchman Undead (Like Oozes)

**SNIP**
The Golem system is nice and id love to see more of a difference between normal summoning and creating and experimenting on bodies. As an RP system it creates a ton of pathways, Mechanically It means that a necromancer could be built entirely different than a normal wizard, Focusing more on Con rather than int.

To have to focus your life force into creating undead, it balances out the power that multiple undead are, while also facilitating the power fantasy of necromancy, where an army of undead is sort of the idea, vs. three undead dudes.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:58 am

Shrouded Wanderer wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:48 am
Mythic wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:36 am
**SNIP**

**SNIP**
The Golem system is nice and id love to see more of a difference between normal summoning and creating and experimenting on bodies. As an RP system it creates a ton of pathways, Mechanically It means that a necromancer could be built entirely different than a normal wizard, Focusing more on Con rather than int.

To have to focus your life force into creating undead, it balances out the power that multiple undead are, while also facilitating the power fantasy of necromancy, where an army of undead is sort of the idea, vs. three undead dudes.
Oh blood magic yes plz!