[Rogue class] Sword and Dagger

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.
White_935

[Rogue class] Sword and Dagger

Post by White_935 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:14 pm

Greeting!

Sword And Dagger - http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Rogue

With the changes to weapon focus and specialization, this "bonus" is no longer really applicable as it already is covered by the collective feat.

Perhaps in lieu of making rogues more flexible, make it so if if they take weapon focus 1h cutting or 1h blunt, they get the throwing weapon focus equivalent ?

Throwing weapons are rarely used, but could be quite suitable to enable rogues to have larger flexible role to both range and close quarter combat... and i honestly would love seeing rogues whom use throwing daggers (darts i suppose is the closest) which by dnd could equally be used as a melee weapon.

my 5.e rogue often fights with throwing knives, using his offhand to throw a dagger at any foe when a opportunity arise (such as being unable to reach a foe that turn). I would love to see it implemented.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Re: [Rogue class] Sword and Dagger

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:58 pm

I like where this is going, especially the throwing part.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:58 pm

Throwing weapons totally need some love. I dont think ive ever seen someone using any thrown weapon outside of contests.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:15 am

I use throwing weapons. As a primary weapon, no less. They definitely could use some love

Throwing axes are really only usable by STR based builds. They're just too heavy to make use of
Darts are okay, but the weight issue rears its ugly head again. Greensteel darts weigh nothing, but they only have a +2 AB bonus.
Shuriken are good with monks using sneak attacks, but they're terrible for just about everyone else. They're weightless, and monks can throw up to 10 of them per round, but they aren't very useful without monk levels.
Slings are inferior to bows in just about every way. The only exception is assassins hidden danger works with slings. Even then, I've never seen anything better than a sling of force (+3 AB, +4 Mighty, +2 STR) or enhanced elite sling (+3 AB, +6 mighty, +2 Dex)

You also cannot make mastery damask thrown weapons that ALSO can be used with templates, making mastery damask throwing weapons inferior to basic damask bundles.

In comparison, longbows/shortbows have their ashwood variants (Dexterity +2, Attack Bonus: +3, Massive Criticals: 2d10, Mighty +4, Runic), light crossbows have the hand spinneret (Attack Bonus +4, Bonus Feat: Point Blank Shot, Bonus Feat: Sneak Attack (+5d6), Massive Criticals 2d6, Web (3) 3 uses/day) and heavy crossbows have gonnes, repeating crossbows, and the wardbreaker crossbow (Attack Bonus +5, Massive Criticals +2d12, Mighty +5, -3 Dodge AC, -1 Dex Bonus). Both crossbow types have access to +4 ashwood crossbows as well.

Thrown weapons could very much use some love. There are no runic throwing weapons (really only applicable to slings), there are no craftable throwing weapons beyond +3 AB, there are no masterly damask bundles, and their base stats are all inferior to bows and crossbows.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:01 am

Slings can be used with a shield and hin get +1 with them. That's two benefits. They're probably still worse than bows and crossbows but there are advantages. Being able to make your weapon with tailoring instead of carpentry is also pretty useful for certain characters. I have a zen archer cleric and at least right now sling seems better than crossbow (fortunately you can switch between them now.) Bows are of course out of the question on that character.

I agree on thrown weapons though. They could use some oomph. I think they could be stronger and wonder if they could be at least somewhat recoverable (unlike ammo they wouldn't destruct on impact, right?)

MrSnickers32

Post by MrSnickers32 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Perhaps a stretch, and likely a lot of work, but here is a rough idea:

Craftable throwing weapon (stacks of like 10-100) of different tiers that come pre-runes. Unlike the innate value of traditional weapon runes, the throwing weapon runes could only enchant from a specific list (this would obviously add the largest share of work I feel) of on hit spells or spell like abilities, that would give some variety to the prepared rogue.

The list of possible enchantments would add the true variety, such as particular high level slow, hold monster, silence, breach/dispell, maze, fear, confusion. Not sure how easy it would be to alter all of these abilities, but I would imagine for them to be useful (yet require some thinking on the rogues part), DCs would have to be mediocre and caster level high. Or they be more concepts, with no DC, thus autosuccess if used on an applicable opponent (mind affecting won't do for monks, and no fear against a paladin obviously).

Just some randomness I could never engineer nor balance lol, just a rough idea.

Edit: These enchantments would certainly only be available when enchanting these special throwing weapons, not on any other weapons.