VFX Removal-

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

JustMonika

VFX Removal-

Post by JustMonika » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:12 pm

Was there a suggestion for this? I don't remember one.

I know there was the we all hate barkskin and it looks awful, suggestion, but I don't remember anyone being sad about Shadowsheild!

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Re: VFX Removal-

Post by Eira » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:51 pm

I personally really liked how shadowshield looks and would like to keep it.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 pm

I shall be curious to see if this will help the sudden game-crashing lag I have been having recently over the past several days, seemingly when certain spells like protection from elements (or at least that vfx) have been active, especially on multiple creatures.

It has been weird!

As far as how things will be without all of the vfx, I just hope that there shall be a list of all active spells on a character that those with enough spellcraft can determine.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:01 pm

I think there should be some kind of indicator, whether visual or in examining someone to show if they have shadow shield up, since it will directly block a number of offensive spells.

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:08 pm

Given this only affects PCs, it is unlikely to reduce crashes unless you frequently mass party.

I very much liked the effects for Shadow Shield/Protection from elements, and I am confused why these specifically have been removed, but obviously we still have VFX for stuff like shield, or Mind Blank, etc. Feels like it should be an all or nothing approch? Protection from elements wasn't even a model obsurcing spell!

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:39 pm

Nitro wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:01 pm
I think there should be some kind of indicator, whether visual or in examining someone to show if they have shadow shield up, since it will directly block a number of offensive spells.
Seconded!
It seems quite important to know which immunities a target has, and whether a breach spell is necessary or not.

Also shadow shield looks awesome. I'd kinda want the vfx to stay :D

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:17 pm

Predictable though I may be, I would also like the return of Shadow Shield! Both because of the #aesthetic, and because, like others mentioned, it's an important visual cue to indicate the myriad immunities it provides. But, uh, mostly just because it looks cool.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

_-HiM-_
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by _-HiM-_ » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:18 pm

Personally I think it's great the general barkskin on everyone was very irritating at times. Stoneskin does however appear to have been swapped round? As in normal stone skin applies the greaterstone skin vfx and greater Stoneskin the normal vfx?

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:05 pm

I was hoping the greater stoneskin would have the VFX of it being applied to large creatures (big rocks orbiting the character) instead. But the original stoneskin VFX was just as cool.
Last edited by Kenji on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apokriphos

Post by Apokriphos » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:03 pm

Nitro wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:01 pm
The loss of the shadowshield vfx just means most mages who can extend it will always. It blocks an entire school of magic, provides dr and negative energy. Essential to know for player characters who focus on that school.

Maybe the vfx could be replaced by a less noticeable vfx like that black rotating ward vfx.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:25 pm

Reverted Stoneskin and Shadowshield VFX to behave as they used to. Until we got some replacers that's gonna stay and seems Shadow Shield was a popular VFX so we'll keep it.

Stoneskin floating rocks was a bit much mb and honestly I was fine with how they were; guess Barkskin really is just the bullied one.

helitron

Post by helitron » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:10 pm

ActionReplay wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:25 pm
Reverted Stoneskin and Shadowshield VFX to behave as they used to. Until we got some replacers that's gonna stay and seems Shadow Shield was a popular VFX so we'll keep it.

Stoneskin floating rocks was a bit much mb and honestly I was fine with how they were; guess Barkskin really is just the bullied one.
Awesome!
Exactly what I wanted to suggest.
:D

Rolled characters:
William Bones; Durk Rotgrun; Hector Bartholomew; Rali Runehammer; Daris Blake; Nathaniel Silvers; Mordarok; Guy Silvers; Shayleth Shadowblood

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:36 pm

I really like the stoneskin change, it still gives a buff indication for people to see but without applying a horrible texture over your character.

Kaeldre

Post by Kaeldre » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:41 pm

I personally like the original stoneskin look. It gave you a different image to rp around when applied.
To believe in an ideal is to be willing to betray it.

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:43 pm

Forgot to add, the new stoneskin visual lets you see if a stoneskin is still up even when shadow shield is obscuring your character.

Darkstorn42
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Darkstorn42 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:56 pm

I do not understand why the protection from elements visual was removed. I used this ALL THE TIME for RP. My character always talks about her sparkles. But the removal, without a replacement, is a big no-no for me, on all of the spells. Why take away an RP tool? I really do not understand.

Please also bring back the Protection From Elements (and Resist/Endure lower version) visual effects so that my character can continue to sparkle with magical energy all the time.

(P.S. Im suprised how much this actually meant to me)

On Server Hiatus
Izahne Tiller - (Shelved)
Maile Aylomen
Zuulanii Ironblood
Ukyo Kuonji

Elaetheus
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Elaetheus » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:02 pm

I am happy about Barkskin removal. The rest of VFX are not too bad, hopefully we get something better for ordinary stoneskin eventually.

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:21 pm

Darkstorn42 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:56 pm
I do not understand why the protection from elements visual was removed. I used this ALL THE TIME for RP. My character always talks about her sparkles. But the removal, without a replacement, is a big no-no for me, on all of the spells. Why take away an RP tool? I really do not understand.

Please also bring back the Protection From Elements (and Resist/Endure lower version) visual effects so that my character can continue to sparkle with magical energy all the time.

(P.S. Im suprised how much this actually meant to me)
Maybe the VFX could be added to another cantrip spell so people can use it for RP, but it's not forced on people casting elemental protection?

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:08 am

How about an optional toggle? -suppress_vfx could enable or disable the list of effects.

That being said, I do want shadow shield visible purely because of the range of immunities it adds, and its shorter duration. Balance-wise it seems kinda necessary to have a visual cue for it.

Also, identification of buffs applied to a character could be a check appended to someone's description taking Spellcraft, Abjuration focuses, and Divination focuses into account, regardless of VFX presence. Hiding them could be something associated with Illusionists.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:22 am

Can we remove all VFX except ones implicitly described in spell-text, then add in a couple of divination spells like arcane sight, greater arcane sight, and detect magic? Would also give immunities list on examine.

Otherwise, while I admit some of them are ugly, the VFX from any spells on the breach list serve as vital point of information in hostile scenarios. Knowing how many and which wards are up tells you how many and which wards you can breach and in what order. I'm fine with it costing something for that knowledge, but not the outright removal of that knowledge.

Don't get me wrong... as someone who mostly plays casters, any such VFX removed moving forward would certainly be to my benefit... but I think it's probably not very fair to the people who find themselves opposite.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Darkstorn42
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Darkstorn42 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Everyone here is discussing balance and aesthetics for the visuals, both of which are worth discussing, but I feel like the only one talking about RP. The visual effects of 'face obscuring' magical effects have long been a place in Arelith, and removing them changes much of the RP interactions. They were also ways to use magic to disguise yourself visually, as many do disguise themselves like 'Warded Mage' or something like that (Like a disguise self spell that is NWN unsupported). I personally use the sparkles from endure elements to demonstrate that my character is literally overflowing with magic.

To me, the removal of the vfx of anything, without replacement, is removal of a RP tool, and that greatly saddens me.

On Server Hiatus
Maile Aylomen
Zuulanii Ironblood
Ukyo Kuonji

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 pm

Magic was never a supported means of disguising yourself. Only the bluff skill has that ability.

Darkstorn42
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Darkstorn42 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:54 pm

There are numerous spells in pnp that disguise a person, and even in NWN (and Arelith) there are a few magics that count as disguises, and I am of course refering to the polymorph spell, from the wiki:

"When a character is polymorphed, they receive a bonus +10 to their disguise strength."

If that is not a 'magic supported mean to disguise yourself' then I do not know what one even is. Besides, just because you dissaprove of my RP use, and many others, does not mean that taking away RP tools is a good thing.
Ork wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 pm
Magic was never a supported means of disguising yourself. Only the bluff skill has that ability.

On Server Hiatus
Maile Aylomen
Zuulanii Ironblood
Ukyo Kuonji

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:04 pm

Darkstorn42 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:54 pm
There are numerous spells in pnp that disguise a person, and even in NWN (and Arelith) there are a few magics that count as disguises, and I am of course refering to the polymorph spell, from the wiki:

"When a character is polymorphed, they receive a bonus +10 to their disguise strength."

If that is not a 'magic supported mean to disguise yourself' then I do not know what one even is. Besides, just because you dissaprove of my RP use, and many others, does not mean that taking away RP tools is a good thing.
Ork wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 pm
On the other side of the coin, Quistillia suffers terribly from the cold, and would die if left in the rain or the cold for extended periods. To counteract this, she was constantly warded from the elements everywhere she went. It was me trying to give neat RP ques about the fact she has a horrific constitution.

Now it mysteriously looks like she's fine, because unless you catch her warding, you can't tell! I personally am not hugely broken up about this, but it's another thing to file under the 'Sometimes Wards can be an RP tool.'

I would jump on the bandwagon of some sort of spellcraft check on examine [Like spot to break disguise] which rolls against every ward, and only suggest lists that particular ward or something. That would be rewarding.

Equally giving cookies to diviners is good.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:22 pm

Darkstorn42 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:54 pm
If that is not a 'magic supported mean to disguise yourself' then I do not know what one even is.
I'll be more specific - stoneskin and barkskin wasn't ever a substitute for disguise.