Scintillating pattern and shadow summons.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Reallylongunneededplayername

Scintillating pattern and shadow summons.

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:15 pm

Scintillating Pattern:

I like to test new things;

I used this spell a few times, My conclusion is the following;

1. It is a somewhat different take on colour spray.

2. Less effective as colour spray? (It has confusion, Wich may make creatures less dangerous, But not fully disable them as colour spray does.)

3. Really short duration 1d4 (Would been better maybe 1d4 +lvl or +1/2 level)

4. Would not use, Better options would be: fear or confusion.

Shadow Summons:

Ok, It is pretty straight forwards; You summon shadows. 1, 2 or 3 of them. They are easy, simple and effective.

But.

How cool would it be to have Illusionist be actual illusionists?

I think it would be neat if you could summon three shadows that gain argo, But do zero dmg and look just like the caster (incl name).
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Apokriphos

Re: Scintillating pattern and shadow summons.

Post by Apokriphos » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:41 pm

The level 20 hard limit on effects from the 8th level spell Scintillating Pattern makes it useless for the majority of the server beyond a certain point, unfortunately.

It would be fun or at least more useful if it still did something beyond that point.

Naiinara

Post by Naiinara » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:11 am

I see uses for both of these spells. Granted the uses are situational, but used well they have great potential.

The shadows you summon last I toyed with them all have crippling strike. When you get three of them from a circle 6 shades spell going at a single target you can really reduce the targets attack ability, the target's damage (if strength based), and the potentially the target's movement.

Scintillating pattern's greatest asset is it has -no save-. Unless immune or protected the target is confused. If you are hasted you could keep casting that every round interspersed with something else and for certain keep a foe with even high saves confused. I would think it would be most useful against casters boss monsters that have otherwise high saves. Confused monsters generally do not cast spells. Even a single round without a boss monster casting spell might really help your party.

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:31 am

Worth noting that the shadows have 40% + 10% for every illussion spell focus concealment.

Three shadows with 70% concealment, sneak attack, 2 magical damage and crippling strike are vicious.
They're excellent at distracting enemies and allowing a quick getaway, disabling high strength opponents, and mugging PCs.
They also all have knockdown.

That said - I use them on a High Cha Sorcerer, a Feylock, and a Favoured Soul.

Their super short duration makes them less great for Wizards. But then. Screw Wizards.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:57 am

Wizards have good use for them as a tactical nuke, drop the shades on someone and watch as they crip-strike them down to a crawl.

Algol

Post by Algol » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:01 pm

Shadows also have decent AB and ability to knockdown... It's a fun little summon with niche uses!