Dust. *spoilers/bad idea/ only for good aligned players*

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Dust. *spoilers/bad idea/ only for good aligned players*

Post by Shadowy Reality » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:07 pm

This 100% looks not allowed.

I can see some merit if you bother to alter the description to hint that something is strange . But if you make it look exactly like a real item then it is exploiting the renaming functionality. Mostly because there is no way to tell, I shouldn't need to know item's gold value to determine if the item is the real thing or not.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:28 pm

this is bigly scummy

don't do it

the people in here advocating for it make me frown
Intelligence is too important

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Nitro wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:05 am
As the OP notes though, dusts have no value. So a greenstone dust renamed into emerald dust is completely undetectable.
That is a good point. I find it strange that dusts don't have at least a tiny value, especially the more rare ones.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:42 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:26 pm
Nitro wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:05 am
As the OP notes though, dusts have no value. So a greenstone dust renamed into emerald dust is completely undetectable.
That is a good point. I find it strange that dusts don't have at least a tiny value, especially the more rare ones.
If OP wants to give gem dusts a value to enable this, I'm down, but the next question has to become, why were they made valueless in the first place; was there a merchant exploit for making ridiculous amounts of gold? Can all gem dusts be set to a low, fixed gp value with a fixed merchant sell price across all vendors? How much work is that? I seem to recall paper's value had to be moderated for a similar reason.

I think counterfeiting any item that has its GP value listed in the item description is fine. By its very nature, it becomes immersive- a good counterfeit with attention to detail is more likely to draw your eyes away from the final (scroll to the bottom) details that give it away (GP value), which makes a logical amount of sense, but you also have the agency as a player to ensure you aren't duped, or to know that you're being duped and make conflict RP out of it with said player willingly, which seems to be the intended goal.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Reallylongunneededplayername wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:48 am
Dust comes at 0 value.

John the Slime figures out he can make his greestone dust look like emerald dust!

John takes a temp shop "Emerald dust for sale!"

John makes lots of sales.

Henny the Cobbler tries to make boots out of the dust, Henny notices his boots won't stick. Henny is confused.

-So, Disclaimer, I have not heard of anything like this happening, But it crossed my mind as a possible event-

If this is not agains the rules.

Maybe give dusts value?
Not read all the comments here, so sorry if I'm missing anything.

Can you do this?

Yesss...

Should you do this?

Well... generally if there is literally 0 way of easily telling if something is fake or not, no defence at all, it comes across as a bit unfair and cheep. For example, we have a rule that asks people to rp before pvp. This is so that there is some counter to pvp, some way out, some chance the other person could -do- something. If you remove that chance, then it tends to feel vastly unfair.

My personal suggestion is this (and this gives away the game a little quick): By all means rename your dust. But put in the item description something that it is fake. If the player is smart enough to check the deal by looking at the description? Then you're busted. If they don't? Then you knew that they had a chance, but missed it.

None-counterable or guessable evil just isn't fun. Standing by a portal and pvping people as soon as they appear will not make you a well loved or enjoyed badguy, it'll make people think you're a jerk.

Likewise selling malachite dust as emerald dust, and thus cheating people out of thousands and thousands of gold won't make people go 'oh wow that was amazing rp!' it'll make them think you're a massive ooc jerk.

If you drop the hint, then at least they can go 'Yeah ok, if I'd bothered to check then I would have known. Ho hum.'
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Philly

Post by Philly » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 pm

What dm grumpy cat makes sense. If there isn’t a thread that can be followed for rp, it’s just the player being a jerk.

And pardon me for going a bit off topic, but if that’s the case, why are the people who creep shop/house leases for the sole purpose of buying the lease, clearing out the property, and releasing it not falling under the real of “being a jerk”? They’re leaving no thread and abusing a similar mechanic in an ooc way...that when considered within the realm of this world we all try so hard to make living and real, makes no sense. Properties are bought, the settlements have no records. This, along with fixtures getting stolen are done in front of not guards.

As someone who primarily plays in a settlement that has fixtures and properties nabbed quite frequently, with zero ability for us to retaliate I find this to be rather frustrating.

Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:34 am

Looks like the solution here is to add nominal value to dust as OP suggested.