Cordor Incoming Portal

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

DangerDolphin

Cordor Incoming Portal

Post by DangerDolphin » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:25 pm

At the moment if you go from many places into Cordor, you have to go via surface server just to jump straight back into C&P server through the transition again. I can't imagine this is good for server performance and is awkward if surface server is down but you just want to get into Cordor. Can it be moved slightly to just inside the outskirts?

Ebonstar

Re: Cordor Incoming Portal

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:54 pm

this would give the UD a direct line into the outer city area, doubt it would happen
Yes I can sign

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:31 pm

They could just buff in C&P, portal up, then run into the transition anyway?

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:47 pm

Yeah, the only difference would be QoL for avoiding server hopping if you're going from distant shores or C&P to Cordor. If someone wanted to attack it they can currently just buff up in the outpost then portal over and have their buffs as soon as they transition after 20 steps anyway.

monkeywithstick
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by monkeywithstick » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:44 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:54 pm
this would give the UD a direct line into the outer city area, doubt it would happen
There is already a direct line to the inner city area without hopping servers just go via shadow Cordor and use one of the doors that take you straight to regular Cordor.
Characters: Izzy, short for Isabel. Shaena Ash.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:14 pm

I'll add an incoming portal soon.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:36 pm

Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a reason to add a hub style one (incoming only though) where UDers can't use it.
Edward does have a lot of powerful mages from Amn working for him to be fair.

matheusgraef

Post by matheusgraef » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:38 pm

monkeywithstick wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:44 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
There is already a direct line to the inner city area without hopping servers just go via shadow Cordor and use one of the doors that take you straight to regular Cordor.
Isn't this strictly IC information?

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by R0GUE » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 pm

Irongron wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:14 pm
I'll add an incoming portal soon.
Thanks Irongron!

CNS

Post by CNS » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:54 pm

I'd recommend keeping it in the frontier though so the place doesn't become a dead zone

monkeywithstick
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by monkeywithstick » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:00 pm

matheusgraef wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:38 pm
monkeywithstick wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:44 pm
Ebonstar wrote:
Isn't this strictly IC information?
Only if you wish to be incredibly pedantic. There are other posts on this forum that have literally screenshotted and posted one of the doors in question.

There are plenty of ways back and forth between those two areas. I am not drawing a map. But given their existence I don't think that adding a destination portal in the outskirts will suddenly increase raiding traffic into the city.
Characters: Izzy, short for Isabel. Shaena Ash.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Should remove portals from the game imo.

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:14 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:09 pm
Should remove portals from the game imo.
No please do not. Some of us only have 2-3 hours a night to play. Adding large travel times to get anywhere would be crippling for us with short playtime windows.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:16 pm

You can go from Cordor to Crow's Nest to Wharftown to Brogendenstein to Guldorand in the span of a minute.
Can also go from Crow's Nest to Sibayad in less than 30 seconds.

From Cordor to Arcane Tower to Bendir to Myon via the caravan, which takes a while longer.

https://imgur.com/a/Alhvmf7

I probably missed a few caravans/Lauricks but, quick travel that covers every part of the map already exists, people just don't use it because portals are faster ( and can get you further ).

Now there's a portal around every single corner. There's also an expedition planner in Cordor. No one bothers using it and some don't even know it exists.

I don't think portals will ever be removed, however. They have become the bread and butter of manoeuvring around the server. But in doing so, they throw a lot of the potential roleplay down the drain. You would have to walk to Cordor in the past, and that was engaging. Now you just teleport to it. It's just my two pieces, but I don't like it.

Also, some of the design decisions when it comes to the portals that are confusing, but I'm not going to derail the topic any further.

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:55 pm

I would like to see portals reduced, but not eliminated.

There should be one near every major RP hub, but less in the 'Wilds'.

So Outpost, Cordor, Brog, Bendir, Radient, Bane Temple, Guldorand, Silly-bad, etc.

But places like Avernus shouldn't have one. If you want to go on an epic quest - You walk.
If you want to meet your friend to give him his newly forged sword - You walk.
You want to adventure and portal home afterwards? Bring a transmutator.

Removing them entirely would definately be frustrating, however.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:55 am

Reducing and restricting them would be best. Limit the number of them to one for each settlement hub, and make using them cost a good deal of money. This would increase overland travel while still allowing people to fast travel around the server. Everyone wins.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:05 pm

Some are definatly still needed in the wilds however. If for no other reason than to allow underdarkers/surfacers to travel to remote locations rather than population hubs.

Honestly I don't have a problem with there being as many portals as there are. As someone with a young child who can't play for long, and may need to go at a moments notice, I find the transport convenience really useful.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:10 pm

On related note, agree ++ with Math

We should go back to respecting foig on the forums.

And, I sound like an old timer with a cane, but other venues like discord can be similarly cancerous in just blabbing deep world secrets...and all their associated RP opportunities.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:16 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:05 pm
Some are definatly still needed in the wilds however. If for no other reason than to allow underdarkers/surfacers to travel to remote locations rather than population hubs.

Honestly I don't have a problem with there being as many portals as there are. As someone with a young child who can't play for long, and may need to go at a moments notice, I find the transport convenience really useful.
I will echo this. I know I have alot of my own personal free time and movement around the map isn't as much of a problem but for those who -NEED- that level of access ability it should certainly be there.

While 5 minutes to walk a transition is not that big a deal for some, for others it adds up and cuts into their enjoyment of the game, especially when all you are encountering is random wildlife, the occasional (only saw one once) Highway man and a few scattered possible bosses. The mooks should be left for the low level players to encounter as road hostilities but for the High level players where RP is the main focus, having that access ability is a convenience to enjoy the game more.

Repair the Cordor Incoming portal 2020!

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:17 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:05 pm

I will echo this. I know I have alot of my own personal free time and movement around the map isn't as much of a problem but for those who -NEED- that level of access ability it should certainly be there.

While 5 minutes to walk a transition is not that big a deal for some, for others it adds up and cuts into their enjoyment of the game, especially when all you are encountering is random wildlife, the occasional (only saw one once) Highway man and a few scattered possible bosses. The mooks should be left for the low level players to encounter as road hostilities but for the High level players where RP is the main focus, having that access ability is a convenience to enjoy the game more.

I would support the campaign to Repair the Cordor Incoming portal 2020!