Gift of Nobility.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

AstralUniverse

Re: Gift of Nobility.

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:05 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:54 pm
And 'Nobility' is less about 'a thing a person can do' and more about 'how people react'.
It really goes down to this. The surrounding players.

Because, yes, you can give nobles mechanical perks with npcs and perhaps more money, but how do you enforce the PC reaction to the setting? Do you even want to enforce any sort of guideline on anyone on that regard?

It might sound crazy, but consider turning Nobility to major award, or greater at least, and give it meaning, that way. What mechanical perks should the path have with such investment, I'm afraid I dont know. But if you want to make it Noble, you need to raise the price.

Another way (not as reliable or safe) to do this would be to add the human factor to where the human factor is needed, manually. In other words, DMs will need to give a little bit more attention to Nobles and help the surrounding recognize them as such.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Void

Post by Void » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:11 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:05 am
but how do you enforce the PC reaction to the setting?
You don't need to. PC don't necessarily know and do not necessarily need to know who is noble or who isn't.

I think what noble perk does is something akin to "landless aristocrat". Meaning they have a title, but do not necessarily have the weight to throw around on the isle itself. So they enjoy club benefit, but to get into isle politics, they'd need to be recognized by the isle governments.

Somebody would just need to decide what "club benefits" are.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:17 am

It was more of a rhetorical question, because telling people how to RP is surely not the answer.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:44 am

Gave it some thoughts:

Nobles should not be a class. Stay a gift.

If you are checked upon by another whom has a lore of X they reconise you as noble and can if wished RP towards it.
Have 10k on start and a noble outfit.
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:02 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:54 pm
I was talking to folk about the noble award recently, and one of the problems that seems to come up is this:

Noble should mean something different to different races/places right?

So we could, say, add in a few perks for Cordor folk, which is great. But what if you're playing a Noble Dwarf? Or Noble elf? And even if you're playing a human, having a class/award that is linked to one place makes exile even worse.

And 'Nobility' is less about 'a thing a person can do' and more about 'how people react'.

This isn't to poo-poo any of the suggestions here, some of them are great, but more just a sliver for thought, that this is a little more complex and hard to institute than it might appear.

Addendum: Though now I think about it, possibly a nice perk for a Noble would be that they cannot be exiled? Just a thought.

I would like to see it specifically resigned as 'Cordorian Noble.'
I simply don't think the rest of the server has the inferstructure to handle nobility, or that it's worth the Dev time adding in additional features for other settlements beyond 1 vote in elections counts as two.

I don't see nobility meaning squat in the Underdark,for example. And Guldorand just isn't designed to have 'nobility' it's a half ruined logging camp.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 am

I think Nobles should be marked like Outcasts in the description so people can tell difference between real reward characters and those who chancelor/other settlement leader has "knighted."

Like an golden text with "This person is an highly respected member of noble social circles and families, etc."
And like outcasts, nobles should come up with some background with why they're "blue bloods."
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

Void

Post by Void » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:17 pm

Reallylongunneededplayername wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:44 am
Gave it some thoughts:

Nobles should not be a class. Stay a gift.

If you are checked upon by another whom has a lore of X they reconise you as noble and can if wished RP towards it.
Have 10k on start and a noble outfit.
Actually tying recognition to Lore makes sense. As in d&d 3.5 lore(nobility) is a thing. You can also bump lore dc if the noble is of a different race.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Simple improvements:

- Gift of wealth
- a shop on creation in the start up area that gives you a choice of two simple items
- a shop in cordor that caters to nobles with a few unique items that they way over charge for in the amnian embassy.
- immunity for most crimes in the racial city that the noble is, perhaps taking it a bit further and have affronts on nobles a crime in itself. Not sure if that's taking it to far though.

more complicated improvements:
-chance encounters in the wild that trigger on groups with a noble in it
-special parts of social areas around the server, like a private room in the sibiyad bathhouse and a feasthall in the nomad for easy examples. Nothing to extravagant, just something there in case the noble wants to show off how special they are.

As for the class, I say go for it. But I would suggest keeping the gift as well and not requiring the nobles to take it. Playing nobility from the mainland can be fun and tell a good story, making it a class only that you achieve over time takes that option away.

As for how players react, its great when you are playing a noble and someone treats you the way you would expect. But its just a game, and you can't force that on people. One of the ways you can keep it ic however is that arelith is like the wild west. Sure, you're some big deal back in Marsember, and those who practice civility will respect that. But most of the inhabitants of arelith are not used to dealing with such formalities, and in all likelihood you would be prepared for that before arriving.