Minor Reward

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Anime Sword Fighter

Minor Reward

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:38 pm

What would be good bonuses to expand the Minor Reward gift?

Personally, I'd like to see more innate spell options like the Gift of Darkness and Gift of Invisibility. It would give the same +.5 ECL as those gift and I suppose would limit how many ECL gifts your PC could take -- though at that low amount I'm not sure if it would matter. Any of the buff spells, death armor, etc. would be pretty nice to be able to take a reward for.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Minor Reward

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:06 pm

Expanding options for minor award?
Couldn't agree more!
It's something on my to-do list, but there's a few things further up. So know that yes, I agree. But it proably isn't going to happen tomorrow.

If anyone has any idea of any (tiny!) bonuses , by all means post them here!
Current ideas

1) Slavery - allow someone from any race/alignment to start as a slave (rather than confining it to human/halforc neutral
2) Werewolf - Maybe allow someone to /start/ with lycanthropy.
3) An extra language - Ok so I'm thinking maybe this is more 'medium' award territory? But giving someone the ability to start with a language of their choice might be interesting too, and enable some concept with more ease. (e.g. a human brought up by dwarves)

Any other ideas?
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

White_935

Post by White_935 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Potential minor gift awards.

- Start with 10.000 gold (in bank) - makes for a easy startup on the character
- Minor level boost - start at level 7
- Financed adventure - Receive enchanted equipment from the start (template per base class).

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:09 pm

A free level 1 creation feat could be cool. (Snake Blood, Strong Soul, Luck of Heroes, Courteous Magocracy, Silver Palm, ect.)

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:44 pm

I'm wondering what the parameters are between the reward ranks for this. Like is there a certain template reward races adhere to? Wild dwarf and forest gnomes are pretty much 'reskins' with that added track bonus whereas Hobgoblin is a full race with pretty nice stats.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:28 am

being able to nab an additional Minor gift on top of the usual 3 (still with an added ECL, if it comes with one) would be pretty neat

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:58 am

- capacity to learn one more language than int modifier allows
- start with a certain amount og adventure xp
- allow height/size mod of -/+ 10% (instead of the standard 5 %)
- Choose from a list of extra flavour feats as gifts (i.e. underused feats that are not prereqs for prc or other feats). Shield prof, barb fast movement, skill focus in certain skills, trackless step and such
- start with use per day items that allows the casting of summon creature 1 and 2, casting of aid or other minor boosting spells

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:40 am

• Replace your racial language like elven with halfling? Perfect for those who wish to roleplay with idea of being adopted/collared by other races at early age.
Abyssal, Infernal, Celestial, Xanarless and Undercommon not included.

• Start with ready fluent language of your pick if your INT is 12+.

• Start as Slave/Outcast with any race and alignment? Personally would drop this into Normal reward with good UD races.
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:50 am

I love suggestions like slightly more control over height, maybe an extra language, etc. Those are all pretty cool.

Something I don't necessarily like a great deal but am mostly indifferent to awards that give you something you can do anyways. If you want to play an elven paladin slave, it isn't that hard to make an elven paladin and to get yourself enslaved for instance.

Immediate short term bonuses such as +10k starting wealth is a nice QoL thing. Could even be flavored as an award of inheritance.

Responding in particular to this:
LichBait wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:09 pm
A free level 1 creation feat could be cool. (Snake Blood, Strong Soul, Luck of Heroes, Courteous Magocracy, Silver Palm, ect.)
I don't like the idea of spending a minor award for +1 universal saves. Personally I think awards should open up RP doors rather than give hidden mechanical bonuses.

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Aniel wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:50 am
I love suggestions like slightly more control over height, maybe an extra language, etc. Those are all pretty cool.

Something I don't necessarily like a great deal but am mostly indifferent to awards that give you something you can do anyways. If you want to play an elven paladin slave, it isn't that hard to make an elven paladin and to get yourself enslaved for instance.

Immediate short term bonuses such as +10k starting wealth is a nice QoL thing. Could even be flavored as an award of inheritance.

Responding in particular to this:
LichBait wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:09 pm
I don't like the idea of spending a minor award for +1 universal saves. Personally I think awards should open up RP doors rather than give hidden mechanical bonuses.
True, did not think the slave-idea fully and rewards should be used to serve RP. Speaking of mechanics, what if we offer disadvantages instead? Like fear of fire when burned, making an save against fear? Sensitivity to daylight, etc.

Algol

Post by Algol » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:05 pm

I'd like a special gift toughness thare requires a minor award where stat penalties from rest, thirst hunger etc hits at -25% instead of -10%.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Algol wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:05 pm
I'd like a special gift toughness thare requires a minor award where stat penalties from rest, thirst hunger etc hits at -25% instead of -10%.
Oooh what a unique idea! I really like that one!

Reguarding slaves - as I've mentioned I like the idea of a minor award that allows someone to start as a slave reguardless of background/alignment. Because yeah, Aniel is right - you can just organize it oocly, it's... not strictly speaking fair is it? It is metagaming. I mean don't get me wrong... It's not the sort of thing we've ever punished.... but it isn't exactly above board is it? So introducing it as minor award seems pretty reasonable to me.

I'm less sold on doing the same for outcast as a minor award. I think if we opened up that, it'd be greater, or even major.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:52 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:12 pm
Algol wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:05 pm
Oooh what a unique idea! I really like that one!

Reguarding slaves - as I've mentioned I like the idea of a minor award that allows someone to start as a slave reguardless of background/alignment. Because yeah, Aniel is right - you can just organize it oocly, it's... not strictly speaking fair is it? It is metagaming. I mean don't get me wrong... It's not the sort of thing we've ever punished.... but it isn't exactly above board is it? So introducing it as minor award seems pretty reasonable to me.

I'm less sold on doing the same for outcast as a minor award. I think if we opened up that, it'd be greater, or even major.
Yeah, Outcasts should be kept in greater or major. (Personally I think we should place human outcasts too behind reward.)
Maybe "Reward Slave" character would get undercommon for free or something compared to those who get collared later?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:39 pm

Oooh I like that. Though i think i should just be given to starter slaves in general, reguardless of the award.
This too shall pass.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:26 pm

Extra languages would be fantastic. Playing a Mulhorandi struggling to learn Celestial is just weird, given its their native alphabet. I'd say its minor reward territory. Its not that huge of an advantage at all.