Need player suggestions for potential domain changes/additions

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

cowboy

my take

Post by cowboy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:25 pm

Give:
Cat's Grace at Spell Level 2, See Invisibility at Spell Level 2 or 3, Lesser planar binding at Spell Level 5, Planar binding at Spell Level 6, Greater Planar binding at Spell Level 8, and Haste at Spell Level 5.

(the reasoning for planar binding is its worthless in NWN and doesn't have planar ally in full. It's a redundant spell and might as well use whats already there. Clerics summon their deities' intermediaries and this allows them to do so.)

The cleric class access to many more skills, BUT, restrict them in connection with specific domains. On Arelith this is fairly possible and if someone put points into a skill its likely you could have someone deleveled automatically with accompany warning of: Sorry you do not have the domain authorization for it.

Take:
most, if not all of Arelith's "bonuses" to current domains - especially to Harm from Death Domain. Get rid of the 1/day powers that currently exist or change them. I think most of the bonuses given to domains in base NWN could also be done away with.

Remove one of NWN's spell slots given to clerics. (Since they don't follow cleric rules of domain spells thats just an overall super advantage they have inherently.) ie, clerics should have reduced spellslots by 1.

When it comes to spells- having them as spontaneous spells might not be entirely desirable because you cannot apply meta magic to them. So with this in mind, I'll follow a loose theme. Three spells, so a cleric gains 6 new spells between their two domains. They should be things that fit with the domain, provide only slight advantage, and I think its best to focus on things with saving throws or counters. It shouldn't advantage you for just being able to cast it w/o focuses or saving throws.

Lastly; if this or something like this is followed: clerics will need rebuilds and we will need an effective domain switcher. (These are possible with script extensions; I am not a code monkey but I've seen them on a few servers.)

I also think a total overhaul is necessary to 1) make them less boring, 2) draw more rp flavor to domains, and 3) if you add new domains having all domains on one page and vaguely resemble one another and also don't conflict too much will make their additions less mechanical madness and more flavor.

without further ado here is my take on an overhall

Cleric Domains (Current):

Air:
Granted Powers: Turn Elementals, Air Stream for Free, Feat: Resist Energy: Electricity, Infinite Casts of Gust of Wind at level 3+ via creature abilities.

Spells:(3) Call Lightening, (6) Chain Lightening, (9) Elemental Swarm* (All air elemental, unless they have another elemental domain that interacts with it. If that is the case it'll be 50/50).

Animal:
Granted Powers: Animal Language, gets access to Animal Empathy (skill) (works as if druid), can take Totem Skin via path/tree/whatever so long deity is a nature deity, animals leave you alone like a druid/ranger as long as you follow a nature deity, can Turn animals, beasts, magical beasts, vermin, and aberrations. Infinite casts of Charm Animal/Person at 3+ via creature abilities. Charm Animal/Person and Hold Animal when cast by the cleric receive a +6 DC bonus that stacks with focuses.

Spells: (2) Hold Animal, (4) Polymorph Self, (8) Nature's Balance

Death:
Granted Powers: Death based touch attack on a cooldown (10 minutes). If deity is Kelemvor, Osiris, Urogalan, Jergal, or alignment is Good it can be used to destroy undead as well. Fort save for living targets, willsave for undead scale it like the PM touch. Infinite Casts of Doom at level 3+ via creature abilities.

Spells: (6) Circle of Death, (7) Finger of Death, (9) Wail of the Banshee

Destruction:
Granted Powers: Turns constructs (feat), can use turn attempts to add a 2d8 magical dmg versus constructs on their weapon that lasts turns a level.

Spells: (5) Crumble, (6) Acid Fog, (7) Disintegrate

Earth:
Granted Powers: Turn Elementals, Earth Stream for Free, Feat: Resist Energy: Acid, Infinite Casts of Stoneskin at level 7+ via creature abilities.

Spells:(3) Spike Growth, (6) Greater Stoneskin, (9) Elemental Swarm* (All earth elemental, unless they have another elemental domain that interacts with it. If that is the case it'll be 50/50).

Evil:
Granted Powers: Turn Outsiders, can choose a Fiendish or Undead Stream for Free. Can learn the other Fiendish Tongue (Abyssal or Infernal depending on what you already have - doesn't count against cap). Access to Bluff (skill) and Intimidate (skill). Infinite Casts of Protection from Good at level 3+ via creature abilities. (Only evil characters can take this.)

Spells: (3) Crushing Despair, (5) Nightmare, (6) Eyebite

Fire:
Granted Powers: Turn Elementals, Fire Stream for Free, Feat: Resist Energy: Fire, Infinite Casts of Scorching Ray at level 3+ via creature abilities.

Spells:(3) Flame Arrow, (4) Firewall, (9) Elemental Swarm* (All fire elemental, unless they have another elemental domain that interacts with it. If that is the case it'll be 50/50).

Good:
Granted Powers: Turn Outsiders (feat), can choose Celestial (or a future good aligned) Stream for Free. Access to Spot (skill). Infinite Casts of Protection from Evil at level 3+ via creature abilities. (Only good characters can take this.)

Spells: (2) Circle against Alignment, (4) Good Hope, (7) Aura Versus Alignment

Healing:
Granted Powers: Empowered healing (feat), lesser skill focus heal. Infinite Casts of Cure Serious Wounds at level 3+ via creature abilities

Spells: (3) Healing Circle, (4) Monstrous Regeneration, (5) Heal

Knowledge:

Granted Powers: Access to Spot (Skill), Listen (Skill), Search (Skill). Feat: Scribe Scroll. One language of your choice from: Draconic, Undercommon, Elven, Dwarven, Infernal, Celestial, Abyssal (doesn't count against cap.) Can cast Legend Lore on a 10 minute cooldown.

Spells:(2) clairaudience/clairvoyance (3) True Seeing, (6) Feeblemind

Magic:
Granted Powers: May use anything locked to arcane classes (staves, rods, wands, cloaks, etc), however when it comes to scrolls they can only use up to Spell Level 6. Infinite Casts of Magic Missle at level 3+ via creature abilities.

Spells: (1) Mage Armor, (6) Lesser Breach, (7) Spell mantle

Plant:
Granted Powers: Animal Language, gets access to Hide (skill) and Move Silently (Skill), do not leave tracks like a ranger, can access nature class restricted things (dreaming tree) if deity is nature deity, barkskin is only +4 unless deity is a nature deity, has trackless step (feat) (+4 hide / ms in nature areas). Can Turn animals, beasts, magical beasts, vermin, and aberrations.

Spells: (3) Barkskin, (4) One with the Land, (5) Vine Mine

Protection:
Granted Powers: Divine Protection (vanilla). You can guard two targets, including a summon. (disabled if using sanctuary, divine protection.)

Spells: (3) Minor Globe of Invulnerability, (5) Globe of Invulnerability, (6) Energy Buffer

Strength:
Granted Powers: Divine Strength on cooldown. Infinite casts of Bull's Strength at level 3+. If you remain a pure cleric you get lesser discipline focus starting at level 1 until you multiclass.

Spells: (3) Bigby's Disrupting Hand, (5) Bigby's interposing hand, (7) Bigby's grasping hand

Sun:
Granted Powers: Empowered Turning as is. Infinite casts of Searing Light at level 3+. Can use turn charges to give self a 2d8 divine versus the undead on your own weapon.

Spells: (4) Fire Shield, (6) Sunbeam, (8) Sunburst

Travel:
Granted Powers: Woodland stride (druid feat), gain access to Search (Skill), Hide (Skill), Move Silently (Skill).

Spells: (1) Web, (3) Freedom of Movement, (4) Slow

Trickery:
Granted Powers: Divine Trickery on Cooldown, gain access to Bluff (Skill), Perform (Skill), Hide (Skill), Move Silently (Skill), Set Trap (skill), Open Lock (Skill). Infinite casts of Invisibility at level 3+ (self only).

Spells: (3) Displacement, (4) Confusion, (5) Improved Invisibility

War:
Granted Powers: Can choose a weapon proficiency (feat), weapon focus (feat), or Combat Riding (Feat).

Spells: (5) Blade Barrier, Power Word Stun (7), (9) Power Word Kill

Water:
Granted Powers: Turn Elementals, Water Stream for Free, Feat: Resist Energy: Cold, Immune to Spell Drown, Immunity to Drown. Able to pass through underwater areas without assistance. Receives bonuses to swimming-related activities. (these bonuses change if you're a water genasi, if you're a water genasi or other drown immune/swim enabled - you lose Resist Energy and gain Epic Resistance I: Cold).

Spells: (6) Drown, (8) Horrid Wilting, (9) Elemental Swarm* (All water elemental, unless they have another elemental domain that interacts with it. If that is the case it'll be 50/50).

(sorry for weird formatting it seems spoilers don't work, and if you're curious as to why most of these are the way they are for most of them i based them on the pnp counterparts)
Last edited by cowboy on Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen are defrocked, shouldn't it follow that cowboys would be deranged?

DangerDolphin

Re: Need player suggestions for potential domain changes/additions

Post by DangerDolphin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:39 am

To people saying many of these suggestions people are making are very powerful - you're right, but we can just brainstorm here and then devs can balance things (hopefully)

Also, I would personally like if we actually did give clerics powerful and iconic abilities to distinguish them from one another, and counteract it with nerfs and restrictions, such as reducing them to medium armor and perhaps restricting spells (No Ilmater Clerics / healing domain clerics using slay living or implosion for instance)

Could also give them penalties unless they use their deities favored weapon, require some kind of spell components or holy water for casting powerful spells, etc.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:49 am

DangerDolphin wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:39 am
To people saying many of these suggestions people are making are very powerful - you're right, but we can just brainstorm here and then devs can balance things (hopefully)

Also, I would personally like if we actually did give clerics powerful and iconic abilities to distinguish them from one another, and counteract it with nerfs and restrictions, such as reducing them to medium armor and perhaps restricting spells (No Ilmater Clerics / healing domain clerics using slay living or implosion for instance)

Could also give them penalties unless they use their deities favored weapon, require some kind of spell components or holy water for casting powerful spells, etc.
I would love to see domains restricted to deities. Give it like 5 domain options per deity or even just restricted domains.

I think doing WF for a deities weapon might not be crazy. Though, this would need to balance with in game weapons. For example, Callarduran Smoothhands weapon of choice is a battleaxe. However, the game favors the svirf hammer for that weapon. Overall it may just be a bit over-powered.

The challenge would be committing to a deity as a cleric and could players do that...

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:31 am

garrbear758 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:25 am
Hi everyone!

I may or may not be working on domains in the near or far future, and I would like to hear some of your ideas.

1. What changes would you like to see for current domains?
2. Which domains would you like to see added?
3. What features would you like to see on added domains?

Thanks for your input!
How ambitious can we be with these suggestions? If we recommend a domain not currently represented in the game and none of its domain spells exist in the NWN game already, should we propose alternative spells that do exist, or is there a possibility new spells would be added to support those domains?

If we suggest domains with new powers (that I presume would have to be coded from scratch), what should these powers involve? Should we instead provide an alternative pre-existing domain power to copy, or should we just describe what the domain does and leave its translation up to the staff?

Sorry for taking a simple request and turning it complicated, but think of this as me saving you a few dozen pages of suggestions pre-emptively on my part. I'd be happy to throw this entire link of FR domains at you- No, for real, there's a lot of them- which can all be sourced to Forgotten Realms source material, if we're going for absolute broke, but if we're going for personal dreams, this one.
Spell Domain wrote: SPELL DOMAIN

Deities: Azuth, Mystra, Savras, Thoth.
Granted Power: You gain a +2 bonus on Concentration and Spellcraft checks.

SPELL DOMAIN SPELLS
1 Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
2 Silence: Negates sound in 15-ft. radius.
3 Anyspell (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting): You can read and prepare up to a 2nd-level arcane spell from a scroll or spellbook in a 3rd-level domain spell slot.
4 Rary’s Mnemonic Enhancer: Prepares extra spells or retains one just cast.
5 Break Enchantment: Frees subjects from enchantments, alterations, curses, and petrification.
6 Anyspell, Greater (FRCS): As anyspell, but you can read and prepare any arcane spell up to 5th level in a 6th-level domain spell slot.
7 Limited Wish: Alters reality—within spell limits.
8 Antimagic Field: Negates magic within 10 ft.
9 Mordenkainen’s Disjunction: Dispels magic, disenchants magic items.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:49 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:31 am
garrbear758 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:25 am
Hi everyone!

I may or may not be working on domains in the near or far future, and I would like to hear some of your ideas.

1. What changes would you like to see for current domains?
2. Which domains would you like to see added?
3. What features would you like to see on added domains?

Thanks for your input!
How ambitious can we be with these suggestions? If we recommend a domain not currently represented in the game and none of its domain spells exist in the NWN game already, should we propose alternative spells that do exist, or is there a possibility new spells would be added to support those domains?

If we suggest domains with new powers (that I presume would have to be coded from scratch), what should these powers involve? Should we instead provide an alternative pre-existing domain power to copy, or should we just describe what the domain does and leave its translation up to the staff?

Sorry for taking a simple request and turning it complicated, but think of this as me saving you a few dozen pages of suggestions pre-emptively on my part. I'd be happy to throw this entire link of FR domains at you- No, for real, there's a lot of them- which can all be sourced to Forgotten Realms source material, if we're going for absolute broke, but if we're going for personal dreams, this one.
Spell Domain wrote: SPELL DOMAIN

Deities: Azuth, Mystra, Savras, Thoth.
Granted Power: You gain a +2 bonus on Concentration and Spellcraft checks.

SPELL DOMAIN SPELLS
1 Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
2 Silence: Negates sound in 15-ft. radius.
3 Anyspell (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting): You can read and prepare up to a 2nd-level arcane spell from a scroll or spellbook in a 3rd-level domain spell slot.
4 Rary’s Mnemonic Enhancer: Prepares extra spells or retains one just cast.
5 Break Enchantment: Frees subjects from enchantments, alterations, curses, and petrification.
6 Anyspell, Greater (FRCS): As anyspell, but you can read and prepare any arcane spell up to 5th level in a 6th-level domain spell slot.
7 Limited Wish: Alters reality—within spell limits.
8 Antimagic Field: Negates magic within 10 ft.
9 Mordenkainen’s Disjunction: Dispels magic, disenchants magic items.
Be as ambitious and crazy as you want, but there's no guarantee any of it will make it in, although parts of it might get used. With that said, cleric is already a very powerful class, so things like mord's, igms, or mass haste are unlikely to be used, and things like Anyspell are unlikely because on top of balance, the effort to code something like that wouldn't be worth the return on invested time.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:53 am

Archnon wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:49 am
DangerDolphin wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:39 am

I would love to see domains restricted to deities. Give it like 5 domain options per deity or even just restricted domains.

I think doing WF for a deities weapon might not be crazy. Though, this would need to balance with in game weapons. For example, Callarduran Smoothhands weapon of choice is a battleaxe. However, the game favors the svirf hammer for that weapon. Overall it may just be a bit over-powered.

The challenge would be committing to a deity as a cleric and could players do that...
We discussed this, and decided not to do it at this time because it would unnecessarily limit player options. I don't want to cripple someone's awesome character concept with an arbitrary mechanical limitation. With that said, I am definitely not a DM so my opinion is just mine and not Arelith's, but I personally would much rather see a cleric of Bane for example pick things like evil or death than good or healing.

My goal with this project is to make domains equal enough to be more of a thematic choice than having 3 or 4 be the meta picks. That way people are more likely to pick the ones that fit their character rather than the ones considered the most powerful.

cowboy

round 2; new stuff

Post by cowboy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:23 am

So in relation to this post (which I did update some of the domains to better mesh with these.) - I made some suggested new domains. A lot of domains in PnP are not really possible or appropriate for Arelith. Stuff from the Book of Vile Darkness and Exalted deeds are largely OP or just redundant; so I kept it to the simple stuff.

I also edited some of the original to include aspects of "unnecessary redundancy domains". Things like Magic and Arcana domain, or Repose and Death (which are effectively the same but with the change of 1 spell because of alignment.)

The other alignment domains I restricted because in PnP if you are good, evil, lawful, or chaotic you can't cast opposite spell descriptors.

Racial domains I designed with exclusivity in mind; they're only meant for followers of those gods and their pantheons. I made them basically as an extra cookie for those races where you can effectively become a champion of your race and gods with extra feat choices that fall along deity weapons or racial traits, habits.

So without further ado (CBT YODA VOICE); here we go

Chaos:
Granted Powers: Turn Outsiders, Receives Slaadi Stream for Free. Access to Bluff (skill) and Perform (skill). +2 to DC on color spray, chromatic orb, and prismatic spray (and other similar spells if added).(Only chaotic characters can take this.)

Spells: (1) Chromatic Orb, (7) Prismatic spray, (9) Maze

Cold:
Granted Powers: Turn Elementals, Feat: Resist Energy: Cold, Casts infinite Ice Dagger at level 3+. (If you have Water domain you lose Resist Energy: Cold and gain Epic Resistance I: Cold. If you are a water genasi and take this you lose Resist Energy: Cold and gain Epic Resistance I: Cold, if you are a water genasi with Epic Resistance I: Cold and have Water domain it becomes Epic Resistance II: Cold.)

Spells: (5) Ice Storm, (6) Freeze, (9) Burst of Glacial Wrath

Craft:
Granted Powers: Gains Skill Focus: Craft. May choose Craft Wand, Brew Potion, or Scribe Scroll. Infinite casts of Shelgarn's Persistant Blade at level 3+.

Spells: (5) Inferno, (7) Mordenkainen's sword, (9) Black Blade of Disaster

Darkness:
Granted Powers: Access to Bluff (skill), Hide (skill), Move Silently (skill), Listen (skill). Feat: Stealthy. Darkness on 10 minute cooldown. If drow, cooldown becomes 5.

Spells: (4) Displacement, (5) Shadow Conjuration, (6) Evard's Tentacles

Drow:
Granted Powers: Access to Bluff (skill), Perform (Skill), Hide (skill), Move Silently (skill), Listen (skill), Spot (skill). May choose one of the following feats: lightning reflexes, wep focus: 1-handed concussion, 1-handed edged, missle, Artist, Alertness, Stealthy, skill focus: bluff, Use Poison, or exotic weapon prof. Can turn vermin (spiders), outsiders, and ooze. Can use a cast of faerie fire on a 10 minute cooldown. (Drow only by race, restricted to Lolth, Eilistraee, Selvetarm, Ghaundaur, Kiaransalee. Eilistraeen drow who take Elf Domain cannot have Drow Domain.)

Spells: (1) Darkness,(2) Camouflage, (5) Polymorph Self

Dwarf:
Granted Powers: Gains access to Appraise (skill). May choose one of the following feats: great fortitude, wep focus: 1-handed concussion, 1-handed edge, skill focus: appraise, skill focus: craft skill, skill focus: lore, Brew Potion, Wand, or silver palm. Can turn outsiders, elementals and aberrations.(Must be any kind of dwarf (not a derro) and a follower of the dwarven deities or duergar exiles.)

Spells: (2) Glyph of Warding, (3) Deafening Clang, (4) Spell Resistance

Elf:
Granted Powers: Access to Bluff (skill), Perform (Skill), Hide (skill), Move Silently (skill), Listen (skill), Spot (skill). May choose one of the following feats: lightning reflexes, wep focus: polearms, 1-handed edged, missle, Artist, Alertness, Stealthy, skill focus: bluff, skill focus: perform, skill focus: craft skill, craft wand, craft scroll or Point Blank Shot. Can turn vermin (spiders), outsiders, and ooze.(Elf, half-elf only by race (with exception of Eilistraeen Drow), restricted to Elven pantheon, Mielekki, Lurue, & Eilistraee. Eilistraeen drow who take Drow Domain cannot have Elf Domain.)

Spells: (1) Entangle, (2) clairaudience/clairvoyance, (7) Sunburst

Gnome:
Granted Powers: Access to Bluff (skill), Perform (Skill), Hide (skill), Move Silently (skill), Disable Trap (Skill), Open Lock (Skill). May choose one of the following feats: Greater Spell Focus: Illusion, wep focus: 1-handed edged, 1-handed concussion, Artist, Stealthy, skill focus: bluff, skill focus: perform, skill focus: craft skill, craft wand, craft scroll or brew potion.(Gnome only by race, restricted to Gnomish Pantheon with exception to Gond as Nebelun.)

Spells: (1) Invisibility, (6) Irresistible Dance, (8) Mass blindness/deafness

Halfling:
Granted Powers: Access to Bluff (skill), Hide (skill), Move Silently (skill), Set Trap (skill), Disable Trap (Skill), Open Lock (Skill), Pick Pocket (Skill). May choose one of the following feats: lightning reflexes, wep focus: 1-handed concussion, 1-handed edged, missle, thrown, Stealthy, skill focus: bluff, skill focus: disable trap, skill focus: heal, skill focus: open lock, luck of heroes, strong soul, and brew potion.(Halfling only by race, deity must be one of the halfling pantheon.) Can cast Rogue's Cunning on 10 minute cooldown. Can take the Wolf Totem (and any other canine skins that may come later).

Spells: (1) Invisibility, (3) Mass Camouflage, (9) Premonition

Illusion:
Granted Powers: Access to Bluff (skill), Perform (Skill), Hide (skill), Move Silently (skill). Cast Color Spray infinitely at level 3+.

Spells: (4) Phantasmal Killer, (6) Shades, (9) Scintillating Pattern

Law:
Granted Powers: Turn Outsiders, Receives Mechanus Stream for Free. Access to Spot (skill) and Intimidate (Skill). +1 to Enchantment Spells DC. Casts infinite Bane at level 3+. (Only Lawful characters can take this.)

Spells: (4) Hold Monster, (6) Dominate Person, (9) Dominate Monster

Luck:
Granted Powers: Access to Bluff (skill), Perform (Skill), Hide (skill), Move Silently (skill). Gives you Luck of Heroes - if you have Luck of Heroes it gives you Strong Soul (as well as inverse), if you have both it give you lucky - and if you have all three you may choose from Iron Will, Great Fortitude, or Lightning Reflexes. Cast Entropic Shield infinitely at level 3+.

Spells: (1) Expeditious Retreat, (5) Good Hope, (6) Lesser mind blank

Moon:
Granted Powers: Turn Shapechangers, Access to Perform (Skill), can 1/day cure an afflicted lycanthrope, and can cast ghostly visage infinitely at level 3+. Can use turn charges to add 2d8 dmg versus shapechangers to weapon.

Spells: (3) Confusion, (4) Improved Invisibility, (6) Greater shadow conjuration

Orc:
Granted Powers: Access to Intimidate (Skill), Listen (skill), Spot (skill). Gets Blooded (feat). May choose one of the following feats: great fortitude, wep focus: polearms, 1-handed concussion, 1-handed edged, 2-handed edged, exotic, two-weapon fighting, skill focus: heal, skill focus: spot, skill focus: listen, Alertness, luck of heroes, strong soul, and brew potion. (Orc, Half-Orc by race. Orcish pantheon only.)

Spells: (2) Prayer, (3) Divine Power, (4) Fear

Renewal:
Granted Powers: Lay on Hands as Paladin, 10 minute cooldown. Infinite cast of Lesser Restoration at level 3+. Infinite cast of Remove Paralysis at level 6+, Infinite cast of Remove Curse at level 9+.

Spells: (3) Restoration, (4) Raise Dead, (6) Greater Restoration

Scalykind:
Granted Powers: Grants Snakeblooded (if Yuanti this becomes Use Poison.) Access to Bluff (skill), Hide (skill), Move Silently (skill), Set Trap (skill). Grants access to snake totem appearance if desired for summons. Infinite casts of Quillfire at level 3+.

Spells: (2) Healing sting,(3) Poison, (9) Shapechange

Slime:
Granted Powers: Turn Oozes, Ooze Stream for Free, Feat: Resist Energy: Acid. Access to Bluff (skill), Hide (skill), Move Silently (skill), Listen (skill), Spot (skill). Infinite casts of Melf's Acid arrow at 3+.

Spells:(1) Grease (3) Mestil's Acid Breath(4) Evard's Black Tentacles,

Spider:
Granted Powers: Turn Vermin, Feat choice between Venom Immunity (Druid feat), Poison Use, and Woodland Stride (Druid Feat). Access to Bluff (skill), Hide (skill), Move Silently (skill), Listen (skill), Spot (skill). You receive Spider Totem and cannot choose any other until you switch out the domain.

Spells: (1), Quillfire, (2) Web, (7) Creeping Doom

Suffering:
Granted Powers: Empowered Inflict Spells (Does not include harm, .5 exta dmg). Infinite Casts of Inflict Serious Wounds at level 3+ via creature abilities. Access to Intimidate (skill).

Spells: (1) Ray of Strength Drain, (4) Finger of Agony, (5) Enervation

Trade:
Granted Powers: Granted feat: Silver Palm (if you already have it you get lesser focus appraise and the inverse) Access to Appraise (Skill), Bluff (skill), Listen (skill), Spot (skill). Infinite casts of Charm Person at level 3+. Also treated as same race for all merchants; achieving best prices.

Spells: (3) clairaudience/clairvoyance, (4) True Seeing, (8) Mass charm

Undeath:
Granted Powers: Extra Turning (feat). Access to an Undead Stream of Choice. Infinite casts of Stone Bones. Access to Bluff (skill), Hide (skill), Move Silently (skill).

Spells: (1) Negative Energy Ray, (2) Infestation of Maggots (3) Negative Energy Burst
Last edited by cowboy on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen are defrocked, shouldn't it follow that cowboys would be deranged?

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:54 am

Take inspiration from the D&D 3.5 Cleric domains list.

Some of these are powerful, they could be adjusted.

Terenfel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Terenfel » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:37 am

made a suggestion for knowledge domain long ago when you nerfed the spells for it..

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=16403

time_limited

Post by time_limited » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:59 am

As a player of a Cleric character - I'm concerned.

Would this mean that my currently chosen domains would be force changed after this new approach was added?

As domains are not enforced at present and as advised by an older player I have Air and Travel on a Duergar cleric. Air for offensive spells and Travel for haste.

With this new approach would my character (as a Laduguer priest) be automatically changed to: Craft/Dwarf?

Couldn't we be getting more of an RP tool for domains then straight on mechanical bonuses? I mean the proposed domain look very strong in some cases (Craft, Law, Water) while others look simply redundant.

What I would like the most to see if talking about domain changes is to be able to choose more domains OR be able to use the "attuning" to an Altar to gain access to othe domains spells even as a temporary means.

How I would like to see it:
A cleric character chooses his base two domains during character creation - those are fixed and he gains the spells + abilities from those domains.

A cleric chooses a main diety to follow and a temporary attuned diety.

The cleric performs a ceremony (even with some materials costs) at the Altar and gets access to the spells from the two domains of the chosen diety temporarily (a RL day maybe?)

The cleric while in party can perform a ceremony for his group (no Altar needed) to ask for an attuned diety blessing. Depending on the party size (attuned diety followers maybe?) he gets access to number of spells from the attuned diety domains. Access is given temporarily - 4 RL hours?

Then you could tweak the spells for each domain.

Points to note:
- Clerics have a lot of spell slots (more then wizards)
- Clerics have much easier in equipment enchanting then Wizards/Melee
- ranged Clerics/Monks/x builds and their high Wisdom working on all 3 aspects of combat (spells, AC and AB)

Truly saying from new spells I would prefer to be incentive to do more on-field ceremonies for a group.
Plays as:
Brega Dwarf-Smasher (active)
Longinus Dwarf-Smasher

time_limited

Post by time_limited » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:28 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:54 am
Take inspiration from the D&D 3.5 Cleric domains list.

Some of these are powerful, they could be adjusted.
After reading the list linked by MissEvelyn, I have to say I would love to see this list + my proposal of switchable domain spells (as a ceremony) implemented as a change to Clerics.
Plays as:
Longinus Dwarf-Smasher

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:39 pm

I forgot to post this one last night!

Spider:
Granted Powers: Turn Vermin, Feat choice between Venom Immunity (Druid feat), Poison Use, and Woodland Stride (Druid Feat). Access to Bluff (skill), Hide (skill), Move Silently (skill), Listen (skill), Spot (skill). You receive Spider Totem and cannot choose any other until you switch out the domain.

Spells: (1), Quillfire, (2) Web, (7) Creeping Doom

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:23 am

time_limited wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:59 am
As a player of a Cleric character - I'm concerned.

Would this mean that my currently chosen domains would be force changed after this new approach was added?

As domains are not enforced at present and as advised by an older player I have Air and Travel on a Duergar cleric. Air for offensive spells and Travel for haste.

With this new approach would my character (as a Laduguer priest) be automatically changed to: Craft/Dwarf?

Couldn't we be getting more of an RP tool for domains then straight on mechanical bonuses? I mean the proposed domain look very strong in some cases (Craft, Law, Water) while others look simply redundant.

What I would like the most to see if talking about domain changes is to be able to choose more domains OR be able to use the "attuning" to an Altar to gain access to othe domains spells even as a temporary means.

How I would like to see it:
A cleric character chooses his base two domains during character creation - those are fixed and he gains the spells + abilities from those domains.

A cleric chooses a main diety to follow and a temporary attuned diety.

The cleric performs a ceremony (even with some materials costs) at the Altar and gets access to the spells from the two domains of the chosen diety temporarily (a RL day maybe?)

The cleric while in party can perform a ceremony for his group (no Altar needed) to ask for an attuned diety blessing. Depending on the party size (attuned diety followers maybe?) he gets access to number of spells from the attuned diety domains. Access is given temporarily - 4 RL hours?

Then you could tweak the spells for each domain.

Points to note:
- Clerics have a lot of spell slots (more then wizards)
- Clerics have much easier in equipment enchanting then Wizards/Melee
- ranged Clerics/Monks/x builds and their high Wisdom working on all 3 aspects of combat (spells, AC and AB)

Truly saying from new spells I would prefer to be incentive to do more on-field ceremonies for a group.
There are no plans to change domains that were selected or to implement any forced domain choices. You can keep your domains.

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:19 pm

Added another that I forgot.

Moon:
Granted Powers: Turn Shapechangers, Access to Perform (Skill), can 1/day cure an afflicted lycanthrope, and can cast ghostly visage infinitely at level 3+. Can use turn charges to add 2d8 dmg versus shapechangers to weapon.

Spells: (3) Confusion, (4) Improved Invisibility, (6) Greater shadow conjuration

time_limited

Post by time_limited » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:43 am

Brainstorm idea:

What about disentagling spells from cleric Domains?

Could we go with a setup that:
1 Cleric chooses his two domains he wishes to follow and gets access to the abilities given from those domains (example turn Elementals, improved Healing)

2 To get access to special spells she has to pray to a diety.

3. For the diety she follows - she gets access to all spells given from the diety for 8 RL hours after performing a prayer/ritual at an altar

4. Additionally she can perform a ritual (possible on the field, no Altar) to gain temporary access (4 RL hours, maybe 5 RL hours) to spells from the patronage diety. The amount of spells granted this way depends on the size of the followers of the same patronage in a party (optimally we would want to see all spells given for a group of 4+)

5. The patronaged diety can be switched by a cleric "on the field" also she can perform that switch to other characters in the party if they agree to that

6.Could add some minor bonuses to non-cleric players who participated in this on the field ritual. Some kind of a "Blessed status" (maybe dependent on the chosen patronage diety too? Like Laduguer for a craft roll modifier, Duerra for a AB modifier? )

This would enable players of Clerics to actually pray for spells, and could generate the RP of praying for blessings of a situational diety.

Now in this situation You would have a full freedom to modify both the Domains and the spells granted and could fully optimise it depending on a diety interests.

Materials required for the "on the field" ceremony - HOLY WATER

*Brainstorm idea end*
Plays as:
Longinus Dwarf-Smasher

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:46 am

Would like to add the suggestion here that we allow clerics with particular domains to multiclass and keep their caster level vs dispells, or gain half caster level in the way that palemasters do.

For instance:

Cleric of Mask with trickery domain, rogue levels give a full level to illusion spells.
So a rogue15/cleric15 would cast imp invis and invis as if a level 30 trickery cleric, but their bulls strength spell is still just CL15 or 22.

Cleric of Mystra with magic domain, wizard/sorcerer levels give 1/2 a level to cleric spells.
So a cleric 20/wiz 10 could cast cleric spells at CL 25 and wizard spells at CL 20 (Though, only up to 5th level)

etc.

Would need very careful balancing of course. But in concept it could enable some awesome builds that make a ton of RP sense.

Void

Post by Void » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:34 am

DangerDolphin wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:46 am
Would like to add the suggestion here that we allow clerics with particular domains to multiclass and keep their caster level vs dispells, or gain half caster level in the way that palemasters do.
I think if a cleric can't be bothered to devote themselves to their god fully, they should pay price for it, meaning no CL progression for non-clerical classes.

Some sort of "speciality cleric" which gains god-specific power if they are single class and very high level could make sense, though. But given number of gods on arelith that would be a lot of work.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:45 am

On the contrary, I think a Maskarran cleric taking rogue levels to engage in thievery is far more devoted than one that clanks about in heavy armor and casts epic spells.

Void

Post by Void » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:41 am

DangerDolphin wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:45 am
On the contrary, I think a Maskarran cleric taking rogue levels to engage in thievery is far more devoted than one that clanks about in heavy armor and casts epic spells.
Not seeing it:
Dogma: All that occurs within the shadows is the purview of Mask. Ownership is nine-tenths of what is right, and ownership is defined as possession. The world belongs to the quick, the smooth tongued, and the light-fingered. Stealth and wariness are virtues, as are glibness and the skill to say one thing and mean another, twisting a situation to our advantage. Wealth rightfully belongs to those whom can acquire it. Strive to end each day with more wealth than you began it, but steal what is most vital, not everything at hand. Honesty is for fools, but apparent honesty is valuable. Make every truth seem plausible, and never lie when you can tell the truth but leave a mistaken impression. Subtlety is everything. Manipulation is better than force, especially when you can make people think they have done something on their own initiative. Never do the obvious except to conceal something else. Trust in the shadows for the bright ways make you an easy target
you're supposed to accumulate wealth and not steal everything that is not nailed down.

It would be more fitting to run a smooth-tongued persuademancer and engage in large scale embezzlement scheme, running crime rings, cons and so on.

What you actually want is speciality priests:
http://matthewfenn.ipage.com/nj-pbem/da ... s/Mask.htm
But given number of gods, implementing those would be a major pain.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:31 am

I don't want to see a war domain 26/4 battle cleric with 30CL.

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:50 pm

Well....my take on this would be...

Air:
Starts knowing the Air Elemental stream
Automatic success at climbing and other mobility checks.
Unaffected by heavy wind and other weather effects.

Earth:
Starts knowing the Earth Elemental stream
Does not leave tracks.
Bonus to mining ore deposits.

Fire:
Starts knowing the Fire Elemental stream
"Spot Weld" ability (use the special abilities widget item) used once per day to repair a forging item up to 20 charges.

Water:
Starts knowing the Water Elemental stream
Immunity to Drown
Able to pass through underwater areas without assistance.
Receives bonuses to swimming-related activities.

Animal:
Gets animal companion, same as druid or ranger.

Death:
Can take PM levels without need of arcane caster class...
PM levels add same caster level as to arcane caster classes.

Destruction:
Automatic empowered for all Evo spells..

Evil:
Cant be good alingnment.
Can use detect good, smíte good.
Can pick one evil language (infe, abyss,)

Good:
Cant be evil alingnment.
Can use detect evil, smite evil.

Healing:
No changes

Knowledge:
+10 lore
Able to learn 4 more languages, faster (as if natural intelligence was 8 points higher)
Can pick one bonus languague of their choice.

Magic:
Wizard levels would add 1/2 to Cleric caster level and cleric levels would add 1/2 to wizard caster levels.

Plant:
Druid levels would add 1/2 to Cleric caster level and cleric levels would add 1/2 to druid caster levels.

Protection:
Gets ability to Guard one aditional target as ability (as PDK).

Strenght:
Fighter and barbarian levels give 1/2 to cleric caster level.

Sun:
All light/sun spells are empowered/maximazed and have +5 DC when cast in when sun is up. (Like call lighting from druid works +-)

Travel:
As it is...
And maybe could start with knowlege of some/all portals.

Trickery:
Rogue/SD/Assasin levels gives 1/2 caster level to cleric.

Or

Flat boost to disguise (like 10-15)

War:
Gets proficiency in all weapons and armor.
Curent ability replaced by:
Avatar of war: basicly tenser for Cleric. It would be strong...but still weaker then current ability bcs they would be fixed to melee and cant cast while in that form.

fading

Post by fading » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:02 pm

Not sure, but I'd like to see more cold spells for cleric, whether from Water domain or a new Cold domain (preferable). As it stands, clerics have very few ice spells, which offers very little fluff for something like a cleric of Auril. And, well, just more thematic spells in general from domains. As it stands, there are a couple of domains that are inherently better than the rest, which goes counter to playing a thematic cleric of your chosen deity.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 pm

I know travel/trickery/nature are the go to's, but I don't think they're at all OP, more that the other options just suck.

I'd hate to see them nerfed and would much rather see all other domains made just as good/fun.

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:41 am

Hazard wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 pm
I know travel/trickery/nature are the go to's, but I don't think they're at all OP, more that the other options just suck.

I'd hate to see them nerfed and would much rather see all other domains made just as good/fun.
Its actualy moustly Travel with War....you can get quite good duration on imp invis wands and in PVP could run invis purge...so Travel is better option bcs duration on haste wand sucks....and you dont want to spend wand on every quick buffing with haste....

Animal isnt so important....what it provides you moustly get from conjur foc which you want anyway on moust builds bcs of Storm of vengeance DC...

And if you are going any type of battle cleric you want war....even healers take war for use with crossbow...

Animal is in same category as evil, healing, and protection...some neash builds use it but its not super common....

PS: And other domains actualy suck :D Especialy from mechanical standpoint...moust off them just give you spells which you will not use anyway (or those which totaly sucks) and their powers are non or just extra turning...which noobody cares about bcs turning is near unusable on arelith :D

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:12 am

Death:
Can take PM levels without need of arcane caster class...
PM levels add same caster level as to arcane caster classes.
This would be completely broken. I hope I don't need to explain why.