Should we decouple awards from XP/Level?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

CptJonas

Re: Should we decouple awards from XP/Level?

Post by CptJonas » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:31 am

Zavandar wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:27 am
how does everyone eventually getting 5%s mean there is going to be less 5%s
Well...to that...everyone gets bored with character or just moves on....to play different one....we saw it with all changes...
SS..
Monks...
all new races...
For month or so you see only that...but after that people move on...only those who actualy love that specific type of character or RP..stay....

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:38 am

Zavandar wrote:
Eventually everyone will have a 5% chance at getting a 5% chance.
That's a lot less than some players with large amounts of time and build know how repeatedly grinding over characters till they have vaults full of rewards in preperation for the next release.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:42 am

Personally, I really don't like the award system because it rewards activity that usually has no storytelling merit. Playing out good storylines can be immensely time-consuming beyond belief and take a ton of work. In contrast, getting to level 26 and deleting is very, very easy. Getting to level 30 in a week is achievable for a dedicated player with all of the normal +ECL gifts, 26 is even easier. Someone that puts in tons of effort into playing a character is more deserving of a higher tier award than someone playing their 30th GoH druid that rushes to 30 and deletes.

The notion that characters should delete at high levels is to me an insane viewpoint due to how easy it is to become a high level. Pretty casual play will have you at epic level in 2~ weeks by doing something as simple as 3 writs a day. It would take a lot of not playing the game in my case to not be at the point of deletion before getting to know anyone.

While encouraging character turnover is good, there is absolutely a thing as encouraging character turnover too quickly I think. Rapid character turnover takes the form of characters rolling before being even remotely established.

The sad part, at any rate, is that while I may not like the award system I also can't think of a better alternative. Here's a nuclear take: What if the award system is nuked entirely?

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:47 am

JustMonika wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:38 am
Zavandar wrote:
That's a lot less than some players with large amounts of time and build know how repeatedly grinding over characters till they have vaults full of rewards in preperation for the next release.
doesn't answer my question
Intelligence is too important

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:49 am

Zavandar wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:47 am
JustMonika wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:38 am
Zavandar wrote:
doesn't answer my question
There will be not....
There will be same....
There will be less people trying to grind their way to get it..

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:55 am

Aniel wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:42 am
Personally, I really don't like the award system because it rewards activity that usually has no storytelling merit. Playing out good storylines can be immensely time-consuming beyond belief and take a ton of work. In contrast, getting to level 26 and deleting is very, very easy. Getting to level 30 in a week is achievable for a dedicated player with all of the normal +ECL gifts, 26 is even easier. Someone that puts in tons of effort into playing a character is more deserving of a higher tier award than someone playing their 30th GoH druid that rushes to 30 and deletes.

The notion that characters should delete at high levels is to me an insane viewpoint due to how easy it is to become a high level. Pretty casual play will have you at epic level in 2~ weeks by doing something as simple as 3 writs a day. It would take a lot of not playing the game in my case to not be at the point of deletion before getting to know anyone.

While encouraging character turnover is good, there is absolutely a thing as encouraging character turnover too quickly I think. Rapid character turnover takes the form of characters rolling before being even remotely established.

The sad part, at any rate, is that while I may not like the award system I also can't think of a better alternative. Here's a nuclear take: What if the award system is nuked entirely?
Overall good post...
And actualy...yeah...Nuke it down....let everybody play anything they want....limit maybe only those options what are actualy unbalanced (that actualy shouldnt be a thing)...If they do weird shit with it RP wise? Give them warning...

And without some realy strong reason (which for moust cases inst here since moust races are on same power level or even less then base races) there will not be some insane zoo efect...yeah...arelith will look like Zoo for maybe like month or 2....but after that not many people will actualy continue playing that....it happened with every change..and will allways happen....Take a look at all new added races, all new classes (SS, Kensai) or even class changes (Monk, PM) etc...

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:00 am

CptJonas wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:55 am
even class changes (Monk, PM)

think we're playing different games.

i'm out
Intelligence is too important

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:28 am

Alright.

Here's the experience of someone who had/has two major rewards.

One of them is sitting in my vault, doing nothing. Second I'm yet to use. ( It's from a character I rolled two years ago ).

My strongest character in my vault is not the major reward one.

In total, I have roughly 20-30 characters in my vault ( don't ask why ), 5 of them are level 30s. You might think I'm addicted, but if you track my play time you'll notice I barely play on the server.

Having a bunch of 5%s running around won't do anything apart make the server look like a circus. Amia style. Especally with the team trying to balance the 5% so that they aren't absolutely broken. So much that some base races are stronger than 5% races. I'm not kidding. Duergar, orogs, wild elves stomp on a bunch of major reward races.

Not the perfect system, but it works.

Getting to 26 may seem tedious for people who can only play a few hours a day, but it really isn't that difficult. Visiting dungeons is the best way to do it. But it's neverwinter nights. It's what you sign up for when you log into the server. If you don't like going to dungeons, that's fine. There's a commoner class to help with that. Don't want to be a commoner but also don't like visiting dungeons? It will take slower, but it's doable. A friend of mine hit lvl 30 back before adventure xp was even a thing.

Void

Post by Void » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:31 am

Aniel wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:42 am

Whatever it is you're doing - whether it is telling stories or diving into dungeons, you're supposed to do for fun and not because of the award, Award is here to encourage retirement of stale characters whose stories played out. So, would be nice to have a go at it, but that's not the goal

I also think that trying to grind for major award will simply tire player out and they won't get the award.

Award system is needed, as it prevent creation of stale concepts. I feel that this is one of the unique and well done features of this servers. Basically they allow you to have a new game plus.
Tarkus the dog wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:28 am
Getting to 26 may seem tedious for people who can only play a few hours a day, but it really isn't that difficult.
And this is correct. It is tedious with limited time.
When writs were introduced, you could have a blast actually adventuring instead of grinding, and advance through that. Because being in a dungeon with a goal/mission is more fun than being there without it.
However at that point of time, there were no writs beyond level 20 (not sure if they're in now). At this point the tedium would kick in, and killing off a char at 21 instead of 26 was a very tempting prospect.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:37 am

I'd stop getting your information from pure conjecture. A lot of people tout ideologies on discord that just aren't true or as widespread as they would have you believe. The biggest issue I have with your suggestion is simply that players shouldn't expect a 5%. It is not the goal of this game, and if it is your goal - you're playing the wrong game.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:43 am

Hi,

This thread has been locked as it began to derail.

There was some good feedback within that is being lost among the shit flinging being done. That being said, I am sure the team will review the community feedback should anything change towards rewards and how they are acquired and spent.

I know it has been brought up before on what can be done. But, no changes are planned at this point. I imagine something may be solidified one day if it is needing adjustment.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.