Player Corpses; (an improvement)

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

cowboy

Player Corpses; (an improvement)

Post by cowboy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:28 pm

Please make player corpses require dialogue interaction like most fixtures.

IE; when you click a corpse you need to be out of combat, and there should be a yes / no option.

Corpses should also be invulnerable and there should be another option to impair the corpse with various options that are not necessarily brutally smashing it. Maybe give corpses a "USE FUNCTION" so you can use them on campfires to burn them.

edit: could actually make this use other fixtures and stuff for temporary acts of barbarism - impaling corpses and heads on poles, covering them with a cloth, etc. There are several corpse models in the game that could make this more interactive / atmospheric.

why: so people can't just pick them up during pvp, bash during pvp, or just bash on accident.
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen are defrocked, shouldn't it follow that cowboys would be deranged?

three wolf moon

Re: Player Corpses; (an improvement)

Post by three wolf moon » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:42 pm

There are ways around a dialogue, but at least it gives you a chance to react. I would also like to see the animation to pick up a corpse lengthened by a bit. These are better than clicking on a corpse once and having it disappear into your inventory near instantly.

Having been in a number of PvPs both large and small, every engagement is a mad scramble to pick up as many corpses as possible, be they friend or foe. This is asinine, I feel, and it makes things too easy for those who have a stronger build vs. those who do not: (for example a leader of a settlement/faction who is lower level or has a weaker build can just be laser-focused and captured with little investment no matter if their bodyguards are there or not). You should have to wait until the battle is won/lost before you do anything with bodies, such only makes sense.

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:53 pm

I think it'd help a lot to give things a bit more value and put most conscience on RP, even in mechanical conflict, you have to wait till things are over to decide what you do.

Could you imagine how cool it'd be to come across some impaled corpses from an earlier battle and being able to take them off the poles and put them to rest? Thats more interesting than red stains and bone piles.
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen are defrocked, shouldn't it follow that cowboys would be deranged?

three wolf moon

Post by three wolf moon » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:06 pm

It also adds a sense of stakes to the battle, given you have to actually win or lose to do something with bodies. Realizing it's a losing engagement and running around grabbing all your friends and running away is no longer an option; if you do that with these proposed changes you will be leaving your companions to their fate.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:06 pm

I like the idea that corpses wont be pickable during pvp. Whether or not they should be invulnerable because (or just on top of) that, I'm not sure, but more options for things to do with corpses would be nice. Perhaps searching for keyrings or other items, maybe notebooks and documents (will require opposing player's consent I think, but so does raising them back).
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:37 pm

I'm 100% sold on these ideas. Love them!

I've had corpses become bashed on accident when a warlock summon used Cone of Cold on the remaining living player character, while at the same time hitting the corpse of the player character's friend.
It's a bummer for when you don't want to kill-bash.

If the corpses aren't made invulnerable, at least give them the same amount of hit points as when the character was alive, so that it won't be as easy to accidentally kill bash.

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:52 pm

(and so its clear when I mean having the ability to pike corpses it is as temporary as it is now, leaving piked heads, corpses, or throwing a blanket over them is just an alternative form of leaving a corpse in a state and would disappear upon a reset / or respawn or something. But players'd have the option to take the corpse down too to raise it or burn it, etc.)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:20 pm

I have to say I quite like some of these ideas, and they tie into some other ideas I've had. No promises of course, but I'll talk this over with Irongron at some point.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:13 pm

This sounds cool.

We could add a dialog to pick the corpse up. And doing so would take, say, a few rounds (Maybe based on Strength) which leaves you vulnerable. Could also just disable interactions when doing this; so if you pick up a corpse you won't be able to do anything else for 2 round as you pick it up.

Problem here is if you get attacked there is no good way to cancel this from an external source, like cancel the action I mean since we would script a duration.

1) Dialog to pick up corpse
2) Picking up corpse you are disabled for 2 rounds as you pick it up
3) Taking any sort of damage during this will have the corpse be left on the ground
3b) Taking damage won't cancel the disabled duration

Void

Post by Void » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:07 am

cowboy wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:28 pm
why: so people can't just pick them up during pvp, bash during pvp, or just bash on accident.
I played with "dialogue on pickup" setup on other server, and this stuff is exceptionally annoying, because accidental click sends you to full stop and that can get you murdered.

I do feel that there an option to destroy the body should remain, and it should be smashed to bits by explosions and the like.
ActionReplay wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:13 pm
We could add a dialog to pick the corpse up. And doing so would take, say, a few rounds (Maybe based on Strength) which leaves you vulnerable.
Please account for possibility of a misclick during benny hill chase phase of combat in PvE.

Maybe a better option would be to forbid picking corpses while you're in combat.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Polokko

Post by Polokko » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:45 am

I really like the idea of picking up bodies taking a little bit longer, and making you vulnerable .
Against being unable to pick people up in combat though, it would be very annoying if you were aggro'd by monsters somewhere inaccessible, and so couldn't retrieve your friends body.
Another consideration should be how potential changes would work with greater sanctuary.

Void

Post by Void » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:47 am

Polokko wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:45 am
I really like the idea of picking up bodies taking a little bit longer, and making you vulnerable .
Against being unable to pick people up in combat though, it would be very annoying if you were aggro'd by monsters somewhere inaccessible, and so couldn't retrieve your friends body.
Another consideration should be how potential changes would work with greater sanctuary.
I think there's some sort of difference between "in combat" and "monsters are nearby". The engine seems to distinguish between them (I think when your char is flat footed with weapons lowered, that's "not in combat", and when battle music is playing, that's in combat). That could be used for bodies.

So you should be able to stealthly pickup the bodies as long as you aren't trying to attack anyone.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:30 am

ActionReplay wrote:
This sounds cool.

We could add a dialog to pick the corpse up. And doing so would take, say, a few rounds (Maybe based on Strength) which leaves you vulnerable. Could also just disable interactions when doing this; so if you pick up a corpse you won't be able to do anything else for 2 round as you pick it up.

Problem here is if you get attacked there is no good way to cancel this from an external source, like cancel the action I mean since we would script a duration.

1) Dialog to pick up corpse
2) Picking up corpse you are disabled for 2 rounds as you pick it up
3) Taking any sort of damage during this will have the corpse be left on the ground
3b) Taking damage won't cancel the disabled duration
Wow. Yes. Please.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 am

NegInfinity wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:07 am
cowboy wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:28 pm
I played with "dialogue on pickup" setup on other server, and this stuff is exceptionally annoying, because accidental click sends you to full stop and that can get you murdered.

I do feel that there an option to destroy the body should remain, and it should be smashed to bits by explosions and the like.
ActionReplay wrote:
We could add a dialog to pick the corpse up. And doing so would take, say, a few rounds (Maybe based on Strength) which leaves you vulnerable.
Please account for possibility of a misclick during benny hill chase phase of combat in PvE.

Maybe a better option would be to forbid picking corpses while you're in combat.
The idea is the dialog would initiate when you click the corpse. You still have to make the active choice of Picking up the object so you can still cancel out here. Onyl when doing that option will you be disabled.

Reason for dialog is because it can only be started when not in combat this is built into the engine. You could still stealth and pick something up and in G. Sanc I suppose or timestop or similar. Reason for 2 rounds it takes to pickup is so in PvP engagement someone can abrupt your action when doing this if you try to sneakily pick up a corpse.

Misclick wouldnt be possible unless you're really super drunk when dong this but I can't take account for that we have to set limits somewhere.

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:29 pm

I disagree that G-Sanc should work for two reasons:

1. G-sanc cannot be interacted with. It's effectively, beyond a few small things, an I-win in this situation as sanctuary cannot normally or readily be removed or fought against. Stealth can be countered by skills and thoughtful use of true sight.

2. In the more traditional use of the spell; doing any physical activity in PnP actually ends the sanctuary. If you picked someone up, touched a chest, etc - you'd end the spell.

---

I don't think if your party got wiped that you'd be in a desperate situation. The corpses could still be there. You could regroup and rescue them if you had the time. Re-spawning is not the devil.

Void

Post by Void » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:47 pm

ActionReplay wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 am
The idea is the dialog would initiate when you click the corpse. You still have to make the active choice of Picking up the object so you can still cancel out here. Onyl when doing that option will you be disabled.

Reason for dialog is because it can only be started when not in combat this is built into the engine. You could still stealth and pick something up and in G. Sanc I suppose or timestop or similar. Reason for 2 rounds it takes to pickup is so in PvP engagement someone can abrupt your action when doing this if you try to sneakily pick up a corpse.

Misclick wouldnt be possible unless you're really super drunk when dong this but I can't take account for that we have to set limits somewhere.
Opinion:

I played a lot on a server with dialogue on pickup and this stuff really isn't enjoyable, and as such I pretty much prefer current system. Basically, if the ONLY option is to pick up, there is no need for dialogue. And by default the only option is to pick up.

However, it would be reasonable to restrict pickup to non-combat situation. Kinda the way portals work right now.

2 rounds per pickup doesn't make sense, and feels very artificial/OOC. Especially if the one picking corpses is strong and the body won't put him over carrying capacity. It would be best not to implement it.

Picking a body should probably disrupt greater sanctuary. Not sure about stealth, but in case of greater sanctuary, disruption makes sense. I mean, you're supposed to be ethereal and non-interactable.

Bodies should remain destructible. If you don't to want to lose bodies, plan ahead, and don't let your comrades die in the first place.

It is relatively easy to misclick on a corpse, depending on situation. Being drunk is not required.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:38 pm

What does it really matter if there's a dialogue or not, if it's made restricted to out of combat?
Svrtr wrote:

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Another thought I had, related, and without intention to derail:

"Player skulls." I think should be replaced by severed head tokens. (NWN strangely as a bunch of these for many races; giants, humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, and so forth.) They should deteriorate and disappear after a real life 24 hours.

Corpse weight should very on race; as well. A halfling does not weigh the same as a firbolg.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:36 pm

These ideas sound like a lot of fun.

Void

Post by Void » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:49 pm

cowboy wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:21 pm
Corpse weight should very on race; as well. A halfling does not weigh the same as a firbolg.
I wonder if erquipment weight should be added to the corpse weight. High str character getting killed with full inventory would be very hard to carry.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:36 am

cowboy wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:21 pm
A halfling does not weigh the same as a firbolg.
I dunno man, have you SEEN the amount of pie they eat?

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:41 am

give them a second breakfast variable

Void

Post by Void » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:01 am

We can also add weight of the HORSE to the corpse, if the player was riding one. How's that. :lol:

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:26 am

I absolutely love this! It adds no value to be able to corpse bash during pvp or after. In fact I find the whole idea of corpse bashing.. well.. let's just say I really don't like it. The ideas mentioned here are wonderful! Yay! *fingers crossed*

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled