Alternative Methods for Access to Award Races

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

fading

Alternative Methods for Access to Award Races

Post by fading » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:11 pm

I don't think the current system is acceptable, at all, especially seeing as there are no alternatives to gain access to the awards. It greatly rewards xp grinding, and bars good players from Role-Playing the specific characters they want to.

Instead the access to the rarer, oftentimes more challenging to RP, races is entirely random. Not to the players who will make something interesting out of them, but to those who were lucky with their roll.

Not only does it reward players who spend less time RPing and more time grinding, as they will be able to sacrifice characters more often and have a higher chance of access to these awards, but it also forces players into the grind if they wish to play something special.

Have a great idea for an Aasimar, a Yuan-Ti, or something along those lines? Well you'll have to level a character to 26, a lengthy process for most people, where the more you RP the longer it'll take to be able to play the character that you really want to. Then, to make matters worse, you have a higher chance of not even getting access to it in the first place, as the normal award is the most likely outcome.

Can we agree that there's something wrong here? I'm not saying abolish the system entirely, but offer an alternative to play the specific races locked behind awards. If it's a problem of rarity, then keep people on hold until there are "free spots." I wouldn't mind waiting for months if at the very least I knew that by the end of it, I'd be able to play what I want. I assume an application is the way to go about it.

I am positive an application based system, or something of the sort, will bring many diverse and interesting characters into the game and enrich the RP overall. Players who truly wanted to create something compelling, through one of these races, will now have an avenue of going about it. Please consider it. Thank you.

Huschpfusch

Re: Alternative Methods for Access to Award Races

Post by Huschpfusch » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:09 pm

Amen!

:idea:
Ideas for redoing the Award System
What it is supposed to achieve:
to cut back on the amount of grinding for awards
to cut back on poorly designed award characters being played
to open up alternative, rp-based avenues for getting rewards
to strengthen the importance of RPR level and associated behavior

+ Lock very high ranking awards (grindable) behind RPR so
that there is an incentive to RPR 10 people still while
reducing the amount of very rare character concepts being poorly designed and played

RPR 0 - is more out of character than ever in character - no award
RPR 10 - has trouble staying in character - small and maybe normal awards
RPR 20 - indicates that a player can stay in character all time - all awards

+ application system
Tied to RPR level a player be eligible to file an application for reward every x amount of real-life time.
e.g.
O RPR = Not eligible for filing
10 RPR = Not eligible for filing (they must work on getting RPR 20, yet can grind for small and normal awards)
20 RPR = Eligible for all awards
30 RPR and beyond: proportionally decreasing timer and/or level of award
- Such system would require detailed table of what award level be available at what time so as not to overflood the staff.
It might be a requirement to delete an/the (non-grinded!) award character before becoming eligible for application system again.

+ cookie system
Introduce a system that lets staff give out cookies to players for good rp.
The cookie system needs to be trackable to guard against abuse.
The cookies can be traded for awards.
- A system would be needed for staff to know under which circumstance they can and should give cookies.
- A table would be needed for cookie to award trade ratio.
Maybe there could be a cookie message system in the rest menu - similar to faction messages -
where stafff giving the cookie can write the notification and reason why the cookie has been given so as
to clearly let the player know what sort of behavior is encouraged - thus making use of positive reinforcement technique.
"Oh look, an unidentified magical wand - let`s just see what it does by randomly using it in battle!"

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:30 pm

Sorry but I am very not in favor of a system that relies on RPR that heavily.
Also there's just too many players and too few staff to rely on an application based system entirely.

I think we are using the automated system for a reason, and as long as things are moved around every so often to keep things interesting, lore friendly and balanced, I think the system we have is the one we should be using.

Sometimes things are moved up/down a reward tier depending on how many active players have them, and sometimes things are removed entirely.

Instead I think a little extra time should be taken to find out who these non-RPing XP grinding people are, and adjust their RPR appropriately. If they want to sacrifice personal hygiene and their own mortal time to get special pixels that make them happy, then I'm okay with that! Personally I don't care enough to do that, but it doesn't bother me that other people do.

If you really don't think someone is RPing their reward race how they should be, bring it up to the DMs because we're a community and chances are that person WANTS to RP their race to the best of their abilities and the DMs are in the best possible position to monitor them and give helpful advice in a way they know how, through experience.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:03 pm

Hazard wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:30 pm
Sorry but I am very not in favor of a system that relies on RPR that heavily.
Also there's just too many players and too few staff to rely on an application based system entirely.
Getting RPR takes less time than getting an award. At the same time you can't exactly grind for RPR.

I'd be in favor of applications, simply because chances of getting to ever play an award race for me with current system is zero.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

fading

Post by fading » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:00 pm

And that's the issue, it's a system that rewards grinding, not RP. Some people don't have time to grind, some people hate doing so. Those people will never be able to experience playing an award race.

You might not want to play any of these races, and it's all just pixels, but for other people this is a serious hurdle on their ability to express their vision for a character that requires an award race, or class.

I don't know how anyone could be okay with this..? This is an RP server. I understand the staff is limited, but having the waiting time be a month or so wouldn't be an issue. It'd be a far better system than the current one.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:06 pm

fading wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:00 pm
You might not want to play any of these races, and it's all just pixels, but for other people this is a serious hurdle on their ability to express their vision for a character that requires an award race, or class.
It is not as dramatic as you describe though. While there are races I'd love to play which are locked behind major award, being unable to play them is definitely not a serious hurdle. Because I can play anything else.

Additionally currently all those awards are gated behind 20 rpr anyway. So you can't just grind for them with a fresh rpr 10 account.
http://wiki.arelith.com/Epic_Sacrifice#Awards

The idea behind current system, apparently, is that someone who spent a lot of time on the server contributed to it in some way, and when they're in good standing (rpr 20), they can receive a random award.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:07 pm

you need to fulfill an interesting criteria to have the system to acquire an award race be considered successful: fairness. dm impartiality on this server has had an interesting history and i say that without a trace of irony.
fading wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:11 pm
It greatly rewards xp grinding
true; this is essentially from what i can see, by design. i'll get to that later.
and bars good players from Role-Playing the specific characters they want to.
if they'd gated drow, or hallfings behind an award i could sympathise with this, but eh. when you say "character" do you mean the story you'd tell, the part you'd play, the way you'd speak, the way you'd act, or do you mean the character model and maybe some ability or other? because honestly i'm not sold on this as an argument. unique subraces and races are often used as crutches for lazy writing, or worse, little writing at all (wild elves that would be indistinguishable from humans were it not for an apostrophe in the name, or whatever). this is an argument AGAINST a "free for all if you can grind like it's 2006 again", but i also warn you:

we had this a while back. planetouched (aasimar/tiefling/genasi) and fey were locked behind RPRs of 30, and for most of the time that system was in place you had to maintain that 30. all it did was create very visible divisions within the playerbase and stoke distrust and hostility for the dms and devs of the era (much of it deserved) with accusations of bias etc. at least this system had a rough maintenance need: dms can change your RPR if it slips or improves. applications are one-off. if someone actually turns out to be playing their minotaur badly, should a dm intervene? how do we define "good character"? do we want to go back to judging each and every character and player's worth against some impossibly defined "positive impact on arelith"? many people have already lost heaps of faith in the sheer idea of a dm team, i don't think it'd survive this.

applications would skew the ability to play one of these races more heavily in favour of players who have established roleplaying careers (trustworthiness to do justice) already, to say nothing of the potential for bias. i also don't think applications are in any way shape or form a good measure of how good someone is going to be at occupying that space in real time as a compelling character, as opposed to a PM that can easily be padded with half an hour of googling to prove your earnest appreciation for obscure 2E pdfs about Imps, or whatever. also, applications processes are either lengthy and a drain on already stretched resources, or short because they're not as good a method of defense against badly done races.

also, will i still want to make this character in three weeks when i finally get a response, after i burnt out on cool ideas and it turns out that you'd bigged up the idea too much and you didn't need the special race to get the core concept across after all (hi, it's me, i did that, i have a 5% languishing in my vaults unplayed specifically due to the application process being an ill-defined drain)? the flexibility of the award system means you can kinda just decide "well i have an award saved so let's see what's available and neat and could mesh well with my character concept" when i get a spark of inspiration.

Instead the access to the rarer, oftentimes more challenging to RP, races is entirely random. Not to the players who will make something interesting out of them, but to those who were lucky with their roll.
then which is it? adhesion to the uniqueness of "challenging races" (obscure lore spread throughout three illegal pdf depositeries, a wiki two editions too far ahead, and the collective fading memory of a generation of NWN players) or is it being an interesting and positive influence on the server as a whole? because i can think of plenty of characters who were both and neither.

are you wanting good characters to come out of this or do you just want the method to not be skewed in favour of those who are more able to tolerate the mmo-style nature of grinding to get an RNG box that might have what you needed? because i absolutely feel you on that, but in terms of fairness and not returning to/diving further into a very visible "oh, look, that person got a deep imaskari but i didn't?" that can only get worse from there, i also do not for a second think applications are viable on arelith with that in mind.
also, dm teams change constantly, the standards one team might have for acceptable knowledge of yuan-ti lore are mutable, and that's not fair, before we take into account potential for bias in what characters people are allowed to play.
Not only does it reward players who spend less time RPing and more time grinding, as they will be able to sacrifice characters more often
i know so, so many people who manage to balance a respectable levelling pace and a compelling, positive addition to the world. meanwhile, there's also legions of unremarkable characters who don't do PvE content. and lots in between. while trying to quantify a player's worth by how much time they can spend on a 20 year old RPG is silly, further trying to split people into one or the other type of player seems worse.

people can play the amount of time they can play. they are free, more or less, to spend it how they choose. what i'm seeing is that character turnover of some high quality roleplayers has increased (substantially) and their RP is still compelling and fun and good, because they don't get hung up on not being able to play an ogre and generally have diverse concepts and ideas that can be interesting and enjoyable. increasing character turnover is one of the systems stated intentions, along with population control: it's not designed with quality control in mind.
Have a great idea for an Aasimar, a Yuan-Ti, or something along those lines? Well you'll have to level a character to 26, a lengthy process for most people, where the more you RP the longer it'll take to be able to play the character that you really want to. Then, to make matters worse, you have a higher chance of not even getting access to it in the first place, as the normal award is the most likely outcome.
if a person were unable to play a specific character you have in mind due to the limitations that are in place is upsetting to the point of not coming up with any other ideas, perhaps that person isn't the kind of person that should wind up getting it from an application either.

and that's the kicker:
I wouldn't mind waiting for months if at the very least I knew that by the end of it, I'd be able to play what I want.
you don't. you don't know that. by its very nature it isn't guaranteed. but,

with the current system you can literally guarantee that for yourself with just as much fairness as everyone else on the server.

addendum: gift of humility conjuration druid, surface race of your choice. spend that month not in limbo about whether or not you can play a hobgoblin and seize it from the cold dead hands of -delete_character*2. who knows, maybe you'll come to appreciate there can be a fun synergy between action content and rp

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:32 pm

Kuma wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:07 pm
if they'd gated drow, or hallfings behind an award i could sympathise with this, but eh. when you say "character" do you mean the story you'd tell, the part you'd play, the way you'd speak, the way you'd act, or do you mean the character model and maybe some ability or other? because honestly i'm not sold on this as an argument. unique subraces and races are often used as crutches for lazy writing, or worse, little writing at all (wild elves that would be indistinguishable from humans were it not for an apostrophe in the name, or whatever)
+1. Any interesting roleplay you can create with a reward race can be created just as well with a non-reward race.

I'm not saying the system is perfect, but it's pretty good at what I believe it's fundamentally intended to do, namely keep certain races rare, upholding setting integrity, being automated and providing some incentive to retire characters.

Do people game it? Undoubtedly, but do those people actually have fun while they're circle-grinding a character they're not interested in RP'ing with? Probably not. Do those people then suddenly have fun with their reward character? Probably not.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:35 pm

Sockss wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:32 pm
Kuma wrote:
if they'd gated drow, or hallfings behind an award i could sympathise with this, but eh. when you say "character" do you mean the story you'd tell, the part you'd play, the way you'd speak, the way you'd act, or do you mean the character model and maybe some ability or other? because honestly i'm not sold on this as an argument. unique subraces and races are often used as crutches for lazy writing, or worse, little writing at all (wild elves that would be indistinguishable from humans were it not for an apostrophe in the name, or whatever)
+1. Any interesting roleplay you can create with a reward race can be created just as well with a non-reward race.
That is not true. Races come with their baggage and it matters.

However, it is not the end of the world, and it is possible to pick something else instead.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:39 pm

Void wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:35 pm
Sockss wrote:
Kuma wrote:

However, it is not the end of the world, and it is possible to pick something else instead.
I'm not so sure. Give yourself a banite face tattoo and you can emulate a Tiefling. Do you have an example of something that couldn't be mimicked?

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:56 pm

I can't see why Troglodytes, Hobgoblins or Derro need to be locked behind an award at all.

Tiefling and Aasimar shouldn't need a Major award. Normal as long as they are evil / good respectively. Same deal with Genasi.

If it's because any of these races are OP, then balance them first (Which should be done anyway)

Best Rich Face

Post by Best Rich Face » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:11 pm

DangerDolphin wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:56 pm
I can't see why Troglodytes, Hobgoblins or Derro need to be locked behind an award at all.

Tiefling and Aasimar shouldn't need a Major award. Normal as long as they are evil / good respectively. Same deal with Genasi.

If it's because any of these races are OP, then balance them first (Which should be done anyway)
Previously (As in within the last year or so) tiefling/aasimar was a Greater instead of a Major. Unless I'm mistaken, their reward tier was bumped due to the excessive amount of horned tailbaes.

And while I think that RPR and the 5% system are Arelith's two worst features, I have to say I completely understand this. When I logged back in 2 months ago, I met 7 tieflings within as may days.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:23 pm

I think if they were considered OP they wouldn't be available.

But exactly as above, they're restricted to provide rarity and maintain the setting.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:05 pm

I'm glad they're behind a Major right now, because most Arelith tieflings have about all the subtletly of a brick with more fiendish traits than an actual Cambion.

As for how rewards are distributed, I'm 100% against RPR being used as any measuring stick. There's more players on the server than ever before and the gap between the number of active DM's and active players only keeps growing. It's entirely possible for excellent RP'ers to just get unlucky and overlooked due to timezones or just luck of the draw.

I'm also not sold on any system of "free spots" since that seems like it would just further incentivize people to sit on their award characters forever, knowing they'll be at the back of the queue again if they give them up.

And applications likewise are no indicator at all about the quality of a concept. Anyone can write an excellent 10,000 word application describing what a great job they'd do with race X to bring RP to the server, which translates absolutely 0 to actual ingame ability to follow through on their promises. You're essentially picking people at random with an application system based on who can write the prettiest essay.

fading

Post by fading » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:19 pm

We're picking people at random right now, if you're so against that, then you should be against the current system. If you have a better alternative to applications and RPR, by all means. But you can't say how terrible all of this is, and then suggest continuing with a system based entirely on the things you claim make the other methods bad.

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:33 pm

DangerDolphin wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:56 pm
I hate to say it but I wonder if those races are locked behind awards because something needs to be locked behind an award. It's not to limit them it's because we have this awards system and it needs races to fill the slots.

I play a derro and while the duergar community is great in accepting them, the normal award means their numbers will always be extremely limited which means there will never be a sizeable community of crazy and scheming derro. Maybe that's by design but I'd say it's a missed opportunity. I can't tell you how many people have told me they want to play a derro but it's not worth the normal award.

When these races are hard to get and perhaps don't feel worth the sacrifice of the award the few who do exist tend to feel like freak shows whose main purpose is to be weirdos for the standard races to react to. That doesn't go for every special race, especially those like yuan-ti and tieflings who are designed to assimilate among humans, but I think it certainly applies to derro and hobgoblins who are by no means rare creatures in the underdark.

Gwenneth_Corvain

Post by Gwenneth_Corvain » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:28 pm

fading wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:19 pm
We're picking people at random right now, if you're so against that, then you should be against the current system. If you have a better alternative to applications and RPR, by all means. But you can't say how terrible all of this is, and then suggest continuing with a system based entirely on the things you claim make the other methods bad.
i'm afraid i have to disagree here. We are distinctly not picking people at random.
We are picking at random from a subset of people who have the time and mindset to roll characters for the sole purpose of gambling them away in this system. With the ocassional person that rolls their beloved character after years getting a shot at a reward as a byproduct.
Kuma wrote:
addendum: gift of humility conjuration druid, surface race of your choice. spend that month not in limbo about whether or not you can play a hobgoblin and seize it from the cold dead hands of -delete_character*2. who knows, maybe you'll come to appreciate there can be a fun synergy between action content and rp
That particular statement highlights what the system makes people do. Maximize the number of rolls by circle-grinding it and you can not really say it is random. It massively favours those with the time and will to play characters for the sole purpose of rolling them.

There are two distinct goals to gating the classes as i see it:

1.) keep the number of special race characters low
2.) ensure they are played properly by awarding them to experienced roleplayers

Unfortunately i do not believe the two are achieved by the current system as it specifically encourages rolling quickly and not having a long investment into the story of your one-month-character. A person doing the above mentioned druid-grind for 6 months has a considerably higher chance at awards than a person rolling one character they played for years in our system - and we do not have any insight from them rolling 6 characters into their qualification regarding point 2.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:33 pm

Keep the system more or less as is, changing only:

1. Classification of 'hard' rewards and 'soft' rewards.
2. For every uptick of RPR after 10 (20, 30, 40) drop the tier of soft rewards (stuff like derro, etc) by one. Hard races would be your rakshasa et al.

Numbers not representative of anything, just blueskyin.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Gwenneth_Corvain

Post by Gwenneth_Corvain » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:50 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:33 pm
Keep the system more or less as is, changing only:

1. Classification of 'hard' rewards and 'soft' rewards.
2. For every uptick of RPR after 10 (20, 30, 40) drop the tier of soft rewards (stuff like derro, etc) by one. Hard races would be your rakshasa et al.

Numbers not representative of anything, just blueskyin.
I like it - would achieve a stronger limitation of highly limited classes to people with high RPR.
There is the issue of RPR being DM-handled, timezones, styles of RPing and being visible to them or not.
The question of how to achieve fairness on the RPR-distribution is a tricky one. The system to recommend others looked good but it specifically does not span timezones very well either.

I'd like to hear thoughts on whether it might be a good idea to limit how many rolls a person can do per x months to prevent the pattern of humility-druid-grinding. (I love druids and hate to see them used in this way, but that is a sideissue).
If the number of rolls per person gets lower the percent-chance for major awards could get higher, ensuring people invest longer into their characters before they roll, but when they do their chances of getting what they hope for are better.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:57 pm

fading wrote:
I'd rather see it based on time played. Maybe something like-- if you've been a regular player (based on CD key) for a year and have 20 RPR you can request one minor race from the DMs. Two years, a normal race, three years a greater... The clock starts over every time you cash in and you still have to delete an epic character to make the request but there's no incentive to burn through disposable characters that only exist to be deleted.

Basically everyone gets access to special races if they play long enough and maintain solid RPR but supplies are still limited.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:03 pm

fading wrote:
Because the current random is more fair than someone reading applications and deciding which one is written more prettily. Everyone has an equal chance, and the more time invested the more chances one gets. It also encourages people to recycle epic characters instead of sitting on them for years on end. So no, I don't think the current system is based at all on the things I claim make the other things bad.

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:26 pm

I'd be curious to see a graph of the 3 separate roll tiers of lifetime/hours played vs -delete_character numbers and if it was a bell curve or if there was a large spike anywhere.

I've experienced multiple people blitzing by without any intention to interact whether in town or in the wild, with the latter sometimes involving blitzing past people already present in a dungeon. I'm not sure how many of those are fueled by lusting for reward rolls or is just the implied backstory of "Tim was cursed to be antisocial and mute (past spellcasting) and seeks the cure of personal power."

And if they refuse to RP you're pretty much left either walking away or sending them to Fugue where they find their lost keyboard and start sending tells to make up for all that silence.

If the reward system is significantly encouraging that, I'd like to see some small tweaks (maybe time played on that character changing the % chance of receiving the rewards appropriate to that tier when the PC is rolled). It may not be though, don't want to judge off just my anecdotal experience.

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:07 pm

How about the Administration hold a bi-monthly lottery and use a RNG to come up with the winner(s)

Void

Post by Void » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:56 pm

xanrael wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:26 pm
If the reward system is significantly encouraging that, I'd
You can't get rewards without 20 rpr. If you'll be blitzing and ignoring everyone, you won't have 20 rpr.
Wuthering wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:57 pm
I'd rather see it based on time played.
Definitely not. From all the possible mechanics, "time wasted on the server" is the worst one and even worse than current one. It encourages idling if anything.

Void

Post by Void » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:01 am

Sockss wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:39 pm
Void wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:35 pm
Sockss wrote:

I'm not so sure. Give yourself a banite face tattoo and you can emulate a Tiefling. Do you have an example of something that couldn't be mimicked?
Sure.

You arrive in Cordor, get off the ship and cheerfully greet nearest passerby....
as an ogre.

Being a banite does not have nearly the same impact as being a member of other race. Races come with baggage (cultural/historical) which is visible at a glance, and you absolutely cannot replicate it by other means, no matter what you do.