Dungeon hogging...

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Void

Dungeon hogging...

Post by Void » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:04 pm

Would be nice to have some mechanic against situaiton when somebody decides to sit in a dungeon for hours waiting for things to respawn (which will never happen), and said dungeon is part of a writ taken by another player.

Thankfully this doesn't happen often, but still.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Dungeon hogging...

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:03 pm

Been trying to get the same writ done for about 8 hours. I keep having to turn around and leave, wait about an hour, then go back in. Never fails--always cleared.

Void

Post by Void » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 pm

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:03 pm
Been trying to get the same writ done for about 8 hours. I keep having to turn around and leave, wait about an hour, then go back in. Never fails--always cleared.
It takes less time than a hour for a dungeon to respawn, but, uh, I"m not sure if this is info is FOIG or it is allowed to spread it on forums.

Aren

Post by Aren » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:49 pm

If you can identify the player, perhaps you can educate them as to how the spawning system works. I did so a few days ago, when someone was standing inside the charnel house waiting for the boss to respawn.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Void

Post by Void » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:50 pm

Aren wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:49 pm
If you can identify the player, perhaps you can educate them as to how the spawning system works. I did so a few days ago, when someone was standing inside the charnel house waiting for the boss to respawn.
So, explaining it is not forbidden? Alright...

Aren

Post by Aren » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:01 pm

Void wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:50 pm
Aren wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:49 pm
So, explaining it is not forbidden? Alright...
I often have to explain to new players how the spawn system works. And that only benefits the server and other players as well. If you have someone new, circling the bone fields without waiting the proper amount of time for the monsters to respawn - that player will likely make 3-4 other (new) players unable to finish their writs. Or worse, he might get killed outright for wasting their time if they are old players who just want to get their writ done (I've seen the latter happen.)

You don't have to let them know the specifics if you don't want to. Just explain in a calmly fashion, that monsters do not respawn in an area in which players are present. It's not forbidden esoteric knowledge. :-)

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

SkipiusEsq
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by SkipiusEsq » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:17 pm

I used to try and explain in IC first, hoping that the person would get the idea. Something like, "The beasts are right to fear our power. Let us wait outside a moment and gather our strength, letting them believe we have left so they can regroup. Then we will rain havoc upon them."

If the person still continues to sit and wait, then a Tell may be necessary.

DM Atropos

Post by DM Atropos » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:27 pm

You can also let us know. It doesn't need to be a situation where you feel we need to be punitive. With a lot of new players and limited areas, we can just speak to them.
What is woven will be.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Why don't people actually party up?

I know the first thing people ask ICly when meeting someone in the wilds is if they are doing writs. And usually whoever is not leaves. I don't get why, plenty of times I was doing and writ and would actually like the company instead of having to do it alone, but the other person went off faster than I could type.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:49 am

This doesn't seem to happen much anymore nowadays, but some player characters like to explore these dungeons fully for the purpose of recording their lore and history, and to determine the origin of the dungeon. To give an example, the Goblinoid Fortress is rife with rich lore to explore and examine.

I personally play characters who go out on such expeditions, and as a result, it does cancel out the respawning of monsters. But the alternative is that we eliminate scholar and archeology roleplay, which on a roleplay server would be extremely silly.

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:56 am

Only takes about 6-12 minutes for dungeons to refill not an hour. However if people remain in a dungeon that long it will push it back another 6-12 minutes and so on for as long as anyone is in the dungeon.

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:18 am

Shadowy Reality wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:35 pm
(Captian obvious mode: On)
Because the other party does not necessarily react to your existence.

The first dungeon hogger I met was staring intently at the wall in cordor archives and was unresponsive. That was at least a month ago.

Your character might also have a reason not to go with this party in particular.

AskRyze

Post by AskRyze » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:29 am

Assuming ignorance rather than malice....

If a player is AFK in a dungeon, you can ping the DMs channel. If they are present and waiting, engage them in rp - tell them "The monsters are hiding, they'll likely come back if we give them about...Five minutes or so, but they won't return while we're here."

That's perfectly in-universe and understandable.
Flower Power wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:53 pm

You say this, but being MILDLY MEAN to people is treated like a war crime on Arelith.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:39 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:49 am
This doesn't seem to happen much anymore nowadays, but some player characters like to explore these dungeons fully for the purpose of recording their lore and history, and to determine the origin of the dungeon. To give an example, the Goblinoid Fortress is rife with rich lore to explore and examine.

I personally play characters who go out on such expeditions, and as a result, it does cancel out the respawning of monsters. But the alternative is that we eliminate scholar and archeology roleplay, which on a roleplay server would be extremely silly.
This argument is valid and no one should ever react with an "oof cant they do their RP-explore-thing anywhere not in an area with popular writs?" but for myself I will say that I do try to keep out from underlevel dungeons when I'm RPing when I know its going to screw up writs, if I can avoid them.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:43 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:49 am
I personally play characters who go out on such expeditions, and as a result,

If your group isn't silently staring at the wall in a hidden corner of a dungeon for 3 hours straight, that's fine with me.

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:28 am

Well,

I am not sure if it is just me, but I would try to approach them RP wise first. However, if they are spoiling people's fun by running laps of an area or have a poor attitude a ping to the DM Channel, or even a PM on the Forums to the DM Team will most of the time get you some help. Just be mindful that DM's are dangerous and crafty beings, they may ask for a part of your soul.

However, if you are prepared to risk a bit conflict, you can demand the Character leave. Chase them out, come back with a Party and hunt them down. A simple IG Resolution.

Do be mindful though, a Writ isn't an entitement nor are other people obligated to adapt to suite you because you have one. Some Character's don't like others, I have a Ranger that will kill party members for conjuring Undead. Vice versa, I have had Evil toons that will kill Paladins that attempt to party up and sometimes, people will simply be using the area for their own enjoyment.
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:09 am

CookieMonster wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:28 am
Do be mindful though, a Writ isn't an entitement nor are ...
Yeah, I know all of it, just had a bit of a bad day, and that lovely writ was a topping on the cake.

Hence the feedback post.

Straxus

Post by Straxus » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:45 am

I spent the better part of a month trying to complete the writ in the graveyard, even got PVP'd over taking a head I never took.

Still took another week after that.

Everytime I go into any dungeon, if there is a party, and they have a writ, I let them be.

If someone asks me to join, I will if I feel I can be on long enough to finish.

Hard with a 4 and 1/2 year old.
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:53 am

Straxus wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:45 am
I spent the better part of a month trying to comllteelte the writ in the graveyard, even got PVP'd over taking a head I never took.

Still took another week after that.

Everytime I go into any dungeon, if there is a party, and they have a writ, I let them be.

If someone asks me to join, I will if I feel I can be on long enough to finish.

Hard with a 4 and 1/2 year old.
A lot of people have Children, I have an 11 month old. It doesn't motivate me to do anything differently though, though I would suggest if it has taken you a week to complete a Writ, not to take it again. Their is a big selection of Writs.
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

Straxus

Post by Straxus » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:57 am

That in mind, it is quite annoying seeing the same group running past you, completely ignoring the fact you are there, and they head straight for the bosses.

I try and make rounds of the dungeons so I am not just going to one.

Every now and then I still go down into the boats.

Now the only writs I can get are courier ones... and I can only do one by myself.

Again my kid kind of limits my play time.

Wouldn't want to abandon someone somewhere they should not be left alone.
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:05 pm

Straxus wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:57 am
That in mind, it is quite annoying seeing the same group running past you, completely ignoring the fact you are there, and they head straight for the bosses.

Now the only writs I can get are courier ones... and I can only do one by myself.

You can do what I did and just get bannerlord.

Partial jokes aside, I do wish people would not just try to race ahead/ignore me. Like if we ars not partying up because you got beef with my character, create some RP with me versus and OOC cold shoulder to my lonely solo life.

Straxus

Post by Straxus » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:22 pm

[/quote]
A lot of people have Children, I have an 11 month old. It doesn't motivate me to do anything differently though, though I would suggest if it has taken you a week to complete a Writ, not to take it again. Their is a big selection of Writs.
[/quote]

It didn't take that long because of my child, it took that long because there was either

A. Someone down there already

Or B. Someone ran past me, not rping, just rushing ahead to get to the boss.

Then there are the many times I died... I try not to rush back to the place where I was killed right away, for RP reasons. Though I have sought revenge on occasions.
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:59 pm

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:05 pm
Straxus wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:57 am

You can do what I did and just get bannerlord.
Bannerlord was a bit underwhelming even with -20% discount.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:04 am

by Shadowy Reality » 01 Apr 2020 23:35

I know the first thing people ask ICly when meeting someone in the wilds is if they are doing writs. And usually whoever is not leaves. I don't get why, plenty of times I was doing and writ and would actually like the company instead of having to do it alone, but the other person went off faster than I could type.
The main reason would be they are over the level limit for the writ and would prevent you completing it least that has been my experience of why I would refuse to party up with another and then leave the area.

Straxus

Post by Straxus » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:25 pm

chris a gogo wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:04 am
by Shadowy Reality » 01 Apr 2020 23:35

The main reason would be they are over the level limit for the writ and would prevent you completing it least that has been my experience of why I would refuse to party up with another and then leave the area.
I have no idea what level another character is in game, I can only guess their experience by how difficult a time they are having fighting an enemy.

Just this morning I happened upon a wayward adventurer, delving a bit deeper then they cared too, but trying to fight off the enemy in Hope's of heading back to safety.

I healed them, and offered them to join me, or I could join them until they were safe... they refused, but were grateful.

I knew they were lower level, they were not prepared to be where they were.

But at no point IC or OOC did I ask... what level are you.

Same thing goes for whenever I see people running into a dungeon. I can usually gauge if I would just ruin their run.
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake