Battlefield Necromages

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Battlefield Necromages

Post by Irongron » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:47 pm

I wasnt aware they had dispel, will take a second look.

The problem with necromages, for me, is like a lot of old PvE monsters they are sorcerers, not mages. This means they will repeatedly cast a single spell, rather than being specified for single use (as with mages).

Necromages, and many like them, had level 0 and 1 spells, and in the battlefield would waste time casting inflict minor wounds or daze a dozen times, which frankly made them a joke. Removing them had the opposite effect, as they started spamming the more powerful spells.

I'm not actually remotely against dispels or damage shields, so long as the spawns appear very rarely, have only a single use of such a spell, and in the case of damage shields, move slowly so different tactics can be employed.

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:49 pm

Meenlocks have a lot of breaches and dispells as well.

Which is pretty crazy when combined with their fear auras and stuff.

Might want to reconsider that.

Cave slimes seem to have saveless KD and Paralyze bolts too, beyond a ranged touch attack. It's a bit much when both spawns are together.
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen are defrocked, shouldn't it follow that cowboys would be deranged?

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Yeh they were terrible prior to the change, they're a much better fit for the areas now (dispels aside).
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Fri May 01, 2020 4:52 pm

Going to do a little necromancy here on the necromages, because I have had the displeasure of fighting them a few times over the past week and my record against one is 2-4, my record against 2 is 0-2. This isn't on the battlefield either, this is in the farms by the mansion, so at most I am fighting a handful of other undead too. For a comparison, my record against the level 20 max writ bosses is 4-0 so far. Now maybe I am missing something when fighting them, but that actually means these guys have a unimaginable percentage advantage against me over the bosses of the same level range, which tells me something is really wrong.

I can go into further details, but I would rather not spoil their tactics if they are determined to be fine. But I will say while I am fine with spawns that scare people on the server, they seem really really strong even for a level 20. I'll also say that if halt undead worked and actually stopped them from casting, they would go from unbearable to fine in an instant. (halt undead might actually be too good when its fixed, since hitting three at once is really strong for a level 3 spell, especially since most undead don't even get a save).

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri May 01, 2020 7:34 pm

Havent checked them since the nerfs 3 weeks ago or so, although I can only assume it's the same mob as the necromancers in the new crypt under Soulhaven (Because these have also been nerfed a bit) - in which case they dont belong in Minmir at all, simply because of their spells kit. Its not even about the mob's level when it comes to mages.

Just a quick comparison: The Githyanki arcanist (probably one of the strongest spawns I've seen lately) could as well be lvl 15, still spamming the same spells. When I fought them I felt "This reminds me a lot of the old Tallassian Mage or pre-nerf Frost Giant Mage spells kit, but just higher lvl area".

Its the spell selection that makes a mage mob super easy or completely overpowered for the area, and the level of the mob only matters for dispells and the damage. At least that's what I've concluded. When a mage mob opens with mass haste and then a spam of aoe damage spells such as igms or horrid wilting, they can be low lvl and still be overpowered in some content, but when they start casting other spells they simply become worthless even if you raise their level and hp and all that. Its probably the hardest thing to balance in dungeons.

The new necromages dont belong in Minmir area, that's my take on this. The old necromages in minmir area were AWESOME.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too