Battlefield Necromages

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Sockss

Battlefield Necromages

Post by Sockss » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:35 pm

It may be worth toning these down a bit, they're a little out of place for the range.

They also seem to go against the grain of the glorious removal of irritating PvE things we had, notably removing damage shields (acid sheath) and breaches/dispels from common mobs.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Void

Re: Battlefield Necromages

Post by Void » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:45 pm

Those guys are VERY fragile, once you get through their defense. They have least amount of hitpoints on the field, probably even less than "evil dead" kind of spawns.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:01 pm

They seem to of gotten a buff recently they used to spam chain lighting and cast imp invis and stone etc... only seen them using acid sheath this last month.

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:12 pm

I don't recall necromages ever having acid sheath either, so this must have been added recently.

And really, giving NPC mobs (that are not bosses) acid sheath is just lame. Nobody liked the acid sheath'd jelly creatures, so I don't think anyone will like necromages having them either. I would avoid spots/dungeons with acid sheathed hostiles anytime.
Sockss wrote: There is an overriding premise that all changes should be appreciated and welcomed because someone has taken time out for free to make them. [...] I don't believe volunteering should put your work above criticism [...] .

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:43 pm

I love the battlefield and I love the necromages. I think it would be waaaay too easy without them. And they dont cast acid sheath, unless its a very VERY new change (less than a week old) and honestly you can two-shot them and eat some acid damage at the very worst case. I wouldnt mind this place's difficulty raised a bit generally so I'm even glad if it were.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:44 pm

The battlefield necromages have completely changed.

They quick-buff acid sheathe, II and I think stoneskin. Then use g.breach and dispels. You're also not going to be 2-shotting them now.

Run the battlefield / manor and see if you enjoy it now. It's a masterclass in everything horrible in PvE. The only way they could be made worse would be having them spam implosions, creature-bolt disables and including weave eaters in the mix.

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:55 pm

Hey so whoever is out there adding acid sheathes/other forms of damage shields, dispels, spell breaches to various creatures:

stop, please. These things were taken out for a reason.

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:59 pm

Sockss wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:44 pm
The battlefield necromages have completely changed.

They quick-buff acid sheathe, II and I think stoneskin. Then use g.breach and dispels. You're also not going to be 2-shotting them now.

Run the battlefield / manor and see if you enjoy it now. It's a masterclass in everything horrible in PvE. The only way they could be made worse would be having them spam implosions, creature-bolt disables and including weave eaters in the mix.
My highest level is true flame. However, SOMEONE apparently messed with darkness spell too (-_-)

Maybe I should revisit this area and see what's going on.

Zahlfire
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Zahlfire » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:17 pm

Void wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:59 pm
My highest level is true flame. However, SOMEONE apparently messed with darkness spell too (-_-)
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25&start=450#p219787

Irongron nerfed it against undead. Undead spawns (and only spawns/npcs, not summons) can see through it now.
The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:48 am
Perhaps the takeaway is not to go 'Ugh. Lesbians... we should cull them.'
Currently plays: N/A

Who to PM and When

Feel free to PM me with Lore questions!

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:00 pm

Gave it a try. yeah, this is nonsense.

Blind, deaf, arcane spell failure, from six spots at once, plus those damn things spawn under your feet as they usually did.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:22 pm

strong yeet wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:55 pm
Hey so whoever is out there adding acid sheathes/other forms of damage shields, dispels, spell breaches to various creatures:

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:28 pm

So I just went there on my sorc and tested how the area feels. I dont really like the changes. It's even more of a cakewalk for mages and more difficult for everyone else. The biggest difference is that the necromages cast acid shield instead of spell mantle from what I could notice, and some of the elemental damage they sling was replaced by one of the new spells that (i think) has some disable on failed save. Yes, the area is generally more difficult now for melee characters and easier for mages. For my sorc just minutes ago, it was same as always except you can bigby the mages before they haste everyone (but this time I let them cast anyway to see what they cast) to make it even easier. Not sure what the purpose of this mob buff was for, but it sort of hurt those who already have hard time in that dungeon (melee characters) and its about the same difficulty or even easier for those who already solo the entire place with summons with DR.
Last edited by AstralUniverse on Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:33 pm

strong yeet wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:55 pm

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:27 pm

Don't know why people are complaining... epic level mobs are supposed to be almost impossible, that's why they are epic level mobs. If the optional dungeon is by IG lore supposed to be one of the most dangerous and difficult areas in the land then you should expect the mobs there to be borderline unstoppable. If you don't like having to deal with that then don't go to that dungeon, there are plenty others out there for your enjoyment. Seems simple enough to me.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:35 pm

The battlefield isn't even close to being an epic level dungeon. It's like a mid-level writ.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:39 pm

Exordius wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:27 pm
Don't know why people are complaining... epic level mobs are supposed to be almost impossible, that's why they are epic level mobs. If the optional dungeon is by IG lore supposed to be one of the most dangerous and difficult areas in the land then you should expect the mobs there to be borderline unstoppable. If you don't like having to deal with that then don't go to that dungeon, there are plenty others out there for your enjoyment. Seems simple enough to me.
I do not think that those guys are epic level mobs. Feels like they're below that. Way below that.

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:44 pm

Battlefield is by no means mid level... you go there mid level and you WILL die period. One of the reasons i never go there.

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:45 pm

Exordius wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:44 pm
Battlefield is by no means mid level... you go there mid level and you WILL die period. One of the reasons i never go there.
It is /supposed/ to be something like level 16 area. Check at which writ level it is unlocked. Once you reach epic levels you no longer get it. It is non-epic area.

Whether you die or not there depends entirely on your build.

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:48 pm

Mid level to me is around lv 10... normal progression is 1-20, epic levels don't really count and are more a bonus. And even if its supposed to be lv 16 there are mobs in there that are much stronger then any lv 16 character... especially those giant bone golems, those things will wreck you effortlessly.

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:51 pm

Exordius wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:48 pm
Mid level to me is around lv 10... normal progression is 1-20, epic levels don't really count and are more a bonus. And even if its supposed to be lv 16 there are mobs in there that are much stronger then any lv 16 character... especially those giant bone golems, those things will wreck you effortlessly.
Mid level is 15.

And like I said, it depends on your build and playstyle. Giant skeletons are among the least threatening things there.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:20 pm

Something being epic level doesn't necessitate the use of damage shields, dispels and breaches.

They are annoying mechanics, they should only belong on bosses, and even then it's not great.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:31 am

I've removed these from the regular spawn groups in the battlefield (though they may still show as 'rare' spawns), Mestil's and Spell Breach removed from their spell list (latter after next reset).

(Relatedly, I've lowered the movement speed of Cave Slimes yet further)

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:30 am

I hope it means the old necromages will appear in the regular spawns again. I feel like they add the right amount of 'challenge' to what is otherwise a one dimensional swarm of foes you can bottle neck and tank for days on many builds.
Svrtr wrote:

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:57 am

Irongron wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:31 am
I've removed these from the regular spawn groups in the battlefield (though they may still show as 'rare' spawns), Mestil's and Spell Breach removed from their spell list (latter after next reset).

(Relatedly, I've lowered the movement speed of Cave Slimes yet further)
<3

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 am

Could we get the 3-4 dispel spam looked at as well?